Kelowna to fine those who donate

WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna to fine those who donate

Post by WheelWeaves »

Having worked in the vicinity of kirschner and the bottle depot for for close to 5 years, there are several regular groups and individuals who commonly drink, faint, defecate and urinate in places that are problematic for our business. The cops need to be called when they get violent or threatening, they essentially tell us "these people were here before you guys, and will likely be here after you're gone" and tell them to go away for the day, like thats an excuse or solution and we just have to tolerate them when they get so drunk from your donations that they get rowdy and threaten me or others.

And there are regulars who are genuinely trying to make a difference in their lives who aren't stumbling around wasted but have genuine disabilities, mental or otherwise.

There is no simple solution, but I can tell you, businesses in the area don't deserve to have to tolerate the horrible urine odors, piles of *bleep* by their rear/front doors, and losing customers because they are intimidated for whatever reason.

I agree with trying to disperse the gathering points on kirschner and nearby, if it takes fines, so be it. Your goodwill is problematic for others simply due to proximity, and no, moving a business is not a solution, for a litany of reasons.

The city and these people (I have had to remind myself frequently, that despite my rage over smelling their bodily functions for entire shifts because of their choice of locale to relieve themselves, that they are indeed people still above all) would perhaps benefit from some initiative where these bottles/cans are donated to a charity of sorts, and the collective funds can be dispersed in the form of an allowance of sorts... as fights over bottles/cans happen.

but, again... no easy solution for anyone, but somethings got to give..... businesses deserve to thrive, and those who are making a meaningful effort to make money in what may be the only way they know how, legally, deserve a chance to be a part of society.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

normaM wrote: I'd vote for a paper clip before the (dis)Honorable Mayor

At least you can trade a paper clip into something useful.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.573973
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WheelWeaves wrote:Having worked in the vicinity of kirschner and the bottle depot for for close to 5 years, there are several regular groups and individuals who commonly drink, faint, defecate and urinate in places that are problematic for our business. The cops need to be called when they get violent or threatening, they essentially tell us "these people were here before you guys, and will likely be here after you're gone" and tell them to go away for the day, like thats an excuse or solution and we just have to tolerate them when they get so drunk from your donations that they get rowdy and threaten me or others.

And there are regulars who are genuinely trying to make a difference in their lives who aren't stumbling around wasted but have genuine disabilities, mental or otherwise.

There is no simple solution, but I can tell you, businesses in the area don't deserve to have to tolerate the horrible urine odors, piles of *bleep* by their rear/front doors, and losing customers because they are intimidated for whatever reason.

I agree with trying to disperse the gathering points on kirschner and nearby, if it takes fines, so be it. Your goodwill is problematic for others simply due to proximity, and no, moving a business is not a solution, for a litany of reasons.

The city and these people (I have had to remind myself frequently, that despite my rage over smelling their bodily functions for entire shifts because of their choice of locale to relieve themselves, that they are indeed people still above all) would perhaps benefit from some initiative where these bottles/cans are donated to a charity of sorts, and the collective funds can be dispersed in the form of an allowance of sorts... as fights over bottles/cans happen.

but, again... no easy solution for anyone, but somethings got to give..... businesses deserve to thrive, and those who are making a meaningful effort to make money in what may be the only way they know how, legally, deserve a chance to be a part of society.

I think a lot of views on this issue are somewhat misconstrued in that few if any would want to deal with what you and many others have clearly endured for far too long. Public intoxication and deficating shouldn’t have to be tolerated by anyone. However the real issue behind this I think is council’s heavy handed approach. Rather than actively trying to find a solution, they took the easy route and have chosen to punish members of the general public simply offering to help (yes, I’m aware many feel it isn’t helping at all, which is just another part of the bigger picture) and take great offense to hastily proposed civic bylaws that do nothing to deal with the actual issue.

The actions of this council have been thoroughly hypocritical in one hand proposing to relax many of the current bylaws around panhandling and punish those being solicited. Of course, given their track record, proposals from this council actually having any real community benefit have been few and far between, so no big surprise here.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

I donate to whoever I like to donate too. No one is going to tell me I cant. We are still living in a free country, are we?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

casey60 wrote:I donate to whoever I like to donate too. No one is going to tell me I cant. We are still living in a free country, are we?

While I don't disagree there are many rules, regulations and by-laws that we follow as a "free" society.

These bottle beggers have ruined the good thing they had going by not keeping their act clean and annoying everyone who had to deal with them on a daily basis.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

Bsuds wrote:
While I don't disagree there are many rules, regulations and by-laws that we follow as a "free" society.

These bottle beggers have ruined the good thing they had going by not keeping their act clean and annoying everyone who had to deal with them on a daily basis.

Not to mention some of those attempting to perform an act of goodwill often think that as a result, parking and traffic laws don't apply to them, blocking entrances/exits, barely pulling off the road, etc.... which is not dangerous at all with randoms jaywalking left, right and center on kirschner and steady traffic most days.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Let me get this straight. We dont want beggars. We dont want people feeding beggars. We dont want drug adicts. We dont want people to sell drugs. We want everyone to work a good honest job. We dont want them to get paid for it.

Something is not adding up. Until wages go up here it will always be a crime den.

Shame on City of Kelowna to fine the few good souls we do have . The people giving away the money they worked hard to earn . For the benefit of Kelownas huge homeless population. To make these good people into paper criminals is shameful .

I expect these issues will be easy picking for any mayoral challenger
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gisley

Post by Gisley »

Realistically, how is any of this enforceable?

Return to “Central Okanagan”