KGH Parking

Re: KGH Parking

Postby aginger1 » Mar 31st, 2018, 2:42 pm

Ive had the misfortune of having to be at the hospital almost daily for the past two months. Parkaide is a joke. Turns out the Staff are parking in there. (They are not supposed to) but I saw the same cars parked in there. I have now started parking on Rose across from the Centennial Building.
aginger1
Board Meister

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby MAPearce » Mar 31st, 2018, 2:53 pm

Staff are parking in there. (They are not supposed to)

When the tickets start to pile up , they'll stop ... But you may have to wait longer for care though.

I can't see nurses and other support staff saying yes to any one of the hundreds of OT calls they get on a daily basis with the hassle of parking being what it is ..

Can't wait for that bitching to start ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

dirtybiker likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4405 posts

Postby Grandan » Apr 1st, 2018, 6:37 am

dirtybiker wrote:Said this years ago in another thread.

When the last couple rounds of expansion happened at KGH, in my mind
the monies and energies should have been put into a separate Hospital
out by the Airport, just as all the old Pier Mac lands were starting to
become available. Plenty of it for future growth.
or,
Just across the bridge, by the old bandstand over-looking the lake.
It would still have been within eyesight of KGH and close enough that
service connections and over-lap were not too far out of reach.

I never thought this before, but I do now, after a lengthy stay.

The view one has while layed up is very helpful and theraputic
in the ways of recovery and/or peace.

They never should have hobbled and crammed so much more into the
present location of KGH.
What did they think was going to happen ?
They were even told by many, of all walks and position, that it would
be a cluster.
And cluster it is.

You got that one right! It is insane to have placed the hospital at such an inaccessible place in the city.
At the time of expansion for the Cancer Clinic was the time to have bailed on that location.
Where were the adults when all this was going down? Oh, but wait, there are more important uses for the land that would have been needed such as growing hay for hobby horses.
By contrast, UBCO snagged the best piece of land that had room for endless expansion and was located for excellent access from all sides. No need to disrupt an existing mature neighbourhood.
I don't know who made the decision to stay on Pandosy, pressure from city hall, pressure from the hospital board or pressure from the ministry or who knows where but all the same it was lame.
Waste not

3 people like this post.
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 931 posts

Postby Tack » Apr 1st, 2018, 8:56 pm

The hospital is in such a rediculous place. They will be paying millions to expand now. They should stop and build a new hospital close to the airport. The Okanagan needs it.

2 people like this post.
Tack

Liked in: 58 posts

Postby cuba108 » Apr 1st, 2018, 9:07 pm

Dropped my wife off at the emergency ward and found a 1hr max parking spot further down the street. After the hour moved my car down to the beach and walked back. Truck that took my spot was still parked when we left 4hrs. later. Does anybody ever get a ticket?
cuba108
Fledgling

Liked in: 84 posts

Postby hutton » Apr 2nd, 2018, 4:41 am

Interior Health actually OWNS a lot of the property around the hospital and in the General area, they have the resources and the space to put up a few parkades, BUT, I am sure the residents in the area would raise a rukus!!!
hutton
Fledgling

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby Jhunter199 » Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:44 am

Jflem1983 wrote:

Paying for parking at emergency does not seem fair .

I agree 100% with you, but the pay parking is put into place to encourage parking turn over. If it was free in front of the ER then every person visiting family or friends in the hospital would take those spaces right away and they would never be open.

2 people like this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Liked in: 351 posts

Postby Jhunter199 » Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am

Tack wrote:The hospital is in such a rediculous place. They will be paying millions to expand now. They should stop and build a new hospital close to the airport. The Okanagan needs it.

Millions to expand still beats Billions to start over.

The new tower in Penticton has a cost of around $750,000,000 i believe, cant imagine the cost of an entire new hospital just because the location is inconvenient.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Postby MAPearce » Apr 2nd, 2018, 3:36 pm

cuba108 wrote:Dropped my wife off at the emergency ward and found a 1hr max parking spot further down the street. After the hour moved my car down to the beach and walked back. Truck that took my spot was still parked when we left 4hrs. later. Does anybody ever get a ticket?

No ... only sometimes when that goof By Law enforcement prick who listens to the country music so loud in his car that you HAVE to look decides to actually get out of his car and do anything... you might get a ticket..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4405 posts

Postby Bsuds » Apr 2nd, 2018, 3:48 pm

Jhunter199 wrote:The new tower in Penticton has a cost of around $750,000,000 i believe,

You're a bit high on that guess, try about half that.

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/projects/p ... r-project/
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11763 posts

Postby Jhunter199 » Apr 3rd, 2018, 7:22 am

Bsuds wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:The new tower in Penticton has a cost of around $750,000,000 i believe,

You're a bit high on that guess, try about half that.

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/projects/p ... r-project/

Thank you
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Postby casey60 » Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:59 am

Its a sad situation that if you have a bad illness like cancer or other, you have to worry about your parking meter. No good!!

3 people like this post.
casey60
Board Meister

Liked in: 190 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 24th, 2018, 11:25 am

Bumped
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... oes-at-KGH

Not going to improve anytime soon if ever.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8101 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby WestbankRules » Nov 24th, 2018, 11:53 am

As someone intimately familiar with spending a lot of time at the hospital, and equally disgusted with the deteriorating situation parking, the originator of the recent story is under the mis-guided perception there are in/out privileges attached to all day parking. I did it, and got lucky, but once you leave you can't fairly complain. It would have been measured if the writer of the story had the insight to cover that most important subject for an objective story as well.
WestbankRules

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby one wheel » Nov 24th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I took my granddaughter to a satellite hospital out in SW Calgary recently & the parking was FREE.

I don't agree with the answer given by IH - Craig Paynton where he thinks people would park at the hospital taking the spaces & leave their vehicle & go elsewhere ? Just where exactly does he think would they go ?

KGH was in an excellent location when it was built but Kelowna has grown but the movers & shakers didn't.

Several opportunities to acquire land for a new hospital were missed or not thought as necessary because of being unconcerned & visionless ?

A relocation would cost plenty.
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 283 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan