KGH Parking

Re: KGH Parking

Postby sublime » Nov 24th, 2018, 3:50 pm

one wheel wrote: KGH was in an excellent location when it was built but Kelowna has grown but the movers & shakers didn't.

The doctors and surgeons all purchased houses in Kettle Valley, Lower and Upper Mission, Lakeshore etc. and didn't want to "commute" to a further location. It's a well know fact around the hospital why it was never located.
The ignore list is a fine function...
sublime
Board Meister

Liked in: 733 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Bumped
Hopefully they build it not only for todays needs, also future parking needs. To bad they couldn't add couple more levels to current parkade.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... de-for-KGH
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12554 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby MAPearce » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm

GordonH wrote:Bumped
Hopefully they build it not only for todays needs, also future parking needs. To bad they couldn't add couple more levels to current parkade.

I couldn't agree more Gordo .. Problem is , that for KGH to expand to meet future needs it will need land that isn't available without the displacement of good , " affordable " , single family homes and the people who live in them .....

Parking is a mess there , I get that .. But as this city grows, KGH will need to also and it will be at the expense of good families who live in that neighbourhood ..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 6302 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:35 pm

MAPearce wrote:I couldn't agree more Gordo .. Problem is , that for KGH to expand to meet future needs it will need land that isn't available without the displacement of good , " affordable " , single family homes and the people who live in them .....

Parking is a mess there , I get that .. But as this city grows, KGH will need to also and it will be at the expense of good families who live in that neighbourhood ..

This could have been avoided if instead of building Royal tower (late 80s early 90s), they had moved KGH to a bigger location. With the area to expand & grow.
Unfortunately that did not happen, so we are left with the current reality.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

Anonymous123 likes this post.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 11th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Bingo - build up not out - it’s a parkade.

Sige likes this post.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5566 posts

Postby MAPearce » Feb 13th, 2019, 2:24 am

Would that be smart Wally ?

My bet is IH will raze the entire even numbered side of the 2200 block of Speer street to build on ... Its right behind the Dr Anderson building and they already own all but 3 or 4 of the houses on the entire block..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby GordonH » Jan 28th, 2021, 8:11 am

bumped up

Staff parking at KGH needs to increase.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... king-space
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby jiva » Jan 28th, 2021, 8:26 am

Does not take a brainchild to create large off site parking site and shuttle service for employees. More onsite parking is not going to happen. Same off site parking and shuttle could also be available to outpatients and visitors that also cannot easily find parking. This would be a solution instead of empty talk.

2 people like this post.
jiva

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby L90D » Jan 28th, 2021, 8:45 am

Another example of why the provincial government should allow ride sharing like uber with minimal regulation.
L90D

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby gjohns87 » Jan 28th, 2021, 10:36 am

There is a parking lot a few blocks away from the hospital on Burnett St. Last time I checked, it was $1 for 24 hours. There is enough parking in the area, the trouble is nobody wants to walk more than they have to.

Maybe the solution is to make everyone other than Front Line Workers park further away and keep the parkades strictly for patients and Nurses/Doctors and other "essential" staff. Managers, office staff and the like would need to park off site.

I'm sure the unions would love it!

Bsuds likes this post.
gjohns87

Liked in: 35 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 28th, 2021, 11:32 am

gjohns87 wrote:There is a parking lot a few blocks away from the hospital on Burnett St. Last time I checked, it was $1 for 24 hours. There is enough parking in the area, the trouble is nobody wants to walk more than they have to.

As stated in the article, hospital staff, particularly female staff, are encountering safety issues when walking to and from their vehicles. But yes, if one broadens their definition of "in the area", there is plenty of parking.
Finding something on the internet that aligns with your worldview, is not research.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1879 posts

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Jan 28th, 2021, 1:29 pm

If you think the parking situation is bad at KGH...examine the crazy situation at the "executive palace" downtown.
This gong show was dreamed up by great minds of Matussi/Gray.
To gain parking in the parkade, employees participate in a lottery, for the limited number of spots.
I believe the city/hospital created about 4 hundred spots for the approximately 9 hundred employees.
Cost is about $90 dollars a month.
So much for working and living downtown.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby casey60 » Jan 28th, 2021, 7:21 pm

What's the problem? Are we not supposed to ride bicycles?? [icon_lol2.gif]

Mrmarvingardens likes this post.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 594 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jan 28th, 2021, 8:54 pm

gjohns87 wrote:Maybe the solution is to make everyone other than Front Line Workers park further away and keep the parkades strictly for patients and Nurses/Doctors and other "essential" staff. Managers, office staff and the like would need to park off site.

Sounds like a good plan, it's not like anyone going to the hospital is elderly, injured or sick :200:

As for the parking lot down the road.
I could have used it last week when it was nice out and went there for some tests.
However on a day like today, when it was snowing out and slippery wherever I went I don't want to walk all that far and possibly slip and fall.
I would gladly use a shuttle service if there was something running on a regular basis.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1618 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 28th, 2021, 8:56 pm

casey60 wrote:What's the problem? Are we not supposed to ride bicycles?? [icon_lol2.gif]

Haha ! Say your shift started at 7 pm tonight and you're off at 7 am tomorrow morning ?

You gonna ride your bike ?

It's February 28th and there's snow on the ground .. Imagine the middle of January ???
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan