20Km trek in the snow....

dle
Lord of the Board

20Km trek in the snow....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... rough-snow

Glad to hear this ended well!

I think anyone going out to play in the snow in the hills, or hiking etc in the spring, summer, or fall, should take a cell phone battery pack along with them!. They are so small - not even as big as a cell phone and you can charge your phone approximately 2-1/2 times - more than ample to contact someone to get help and enough to leave on so the rescuers can ping it and it doesn't take up any room, nor is it heavy. No reason anyone should experience a dying cell phone these days unless you are stuck out there for a week! Can buy them anywhere - Costco actually had a 2pack at Christmas for about $20. They work hot-diggety!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: 20Km trek in the snow....

Post by Fancy »

I noted the "no reception" and cell phones can die quite quickly in the cold. I wonder who called the tracks in and glad the guy is okay.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:I noted the "no reception" and cell phones can die quite quickly in the cold. I wonder who called the tracks in and glad the guy is okay.

1 of the national carrier's does have a lack of cell towers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
djscotty

Post by djscotty »

Rule #1 for backcountry adventures: Never go alone!

This person was very lucky
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Number one rule when you go in the backcountry alone. Don't go where you're not able to walk out from. This guy knew what he was doing obviously and was prepared for it. A little disheartening that the RCMP knew what was going on and didn't contact Cosar. That would have been the right thing to do call them let them know there's a guy out there walking back in case they have to be sent out later they would be prepared.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

But who contacted COSAR? If they didn't report it to the RCMP they were going out, why would the RCMP relay information to them? It sounds like there may have been miscommunication.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

common_sense_guy wrote:Number one rule when you go in the backcountry alone. Don't go where you're not able to walk out from. This guy knew what he was doing obviously and was prepared for it. A little disheartening that the RCMP knew what was going on and didn't contact Cosar. That would have been the right thing to do call them let them know there's a guy out there walking back in case they have to be sent out later they would be prepared.

Your #1 is incorrect , probably not even on any list of things to do right. A person could easily pass away from exposure within 3 metres of a road with a broken leg. Attempting to walk out when stranded is not a good decision whether you know the way or not.

#1 rule is give precise details of where you are going and when you will return to someone who will check on you. Stuck to that plan.

Always wear a whistle around your neck. You can blow it for days without exhaustion whereas yelling will tire you in an hour.
Someone has to say it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”