lidar mapping

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: lidar mapping

Post by GordonH »

Hassel99 wrote:Can you back that up with a source? Because you are not correct.

Let me back up my position with a quote from the WIKI and directly from the Okanagan Water Basin Board.

The Okanagan Basin spans two countries and comprises the basin of Okanagan Lake, the Okanogan River and tributary valleys such as that of the Similkameen and Chelan Rivers. In Canada the basin constitutes two distinct regions within British Columbia, the Similkameen Country to the west and the main Okanagan region running from the communities of Osoyoos in the south to Armstrong in the north – incorporating most of the three Okanagan regional districts and is usually known as "the Okanagan" or as the Okanagan Valley or the Okanagan Country. In the United States, the Okanogan Country is the western, lowland core of Okanogan County, which like its Canadian counterpart has a history and economy based on ranching, gold, fruit orcharding and vineyards, but the basin includes Lake Chelan and other flanking valleys. Communities in Washington's Okanogan Basin include Brewster, Pateros, Omak, Okanogan, Oroville and Brewster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanagan_Basin

Now from the Okanagan water basin board.

The Okanagan watershed, or basin, is a narrow strip that spans from Armstrong to the US border and includes six main lakes – Okanagan, Kalamalka, Wood, Skaha, Vaseux and Osoyoos – and surrounding mountains

http://www.obwb.ca/wsd/about/state-of-the-basin

Nothing about Mt Ida, Nothing about Salmon arm.

Very northern tip of the map I linked to in my previous post (here is that link again http://www.obwb.ca/wsd/wp-content/uploa ... _large.jpg ) Is the southern slope of Mt Ida

Click on the map to enlarge
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Zoom in on this map.

OKANAGANWATERSHED.jpg

BTW, Armstrong is barely in the Okanagan...

ARMSTRONG.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
DarcyB

Post by DarcyB »

And to see what was flown for lidar mapping:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/view ... 4d6ab5abf7
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The lidar mapping layer recently enabled on the City of Kelowna. It looks cool, but what actual applications could it have?

lidar.PNG
I haven't failed until I quit.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Let me back up my position with a quote from the WIKI and directly from the Okanagan Water Basin Board.

The Okanagan Basin spans two countries and comprises the basin of Okanagan Lake, the Okanogan River and tributary valleys such as that of the Similkameen and Chelan Rivers. In Canada the basin constitutes two distinct regions within British Columbia, the Similkameen Country to the west and the main Okanagan region running from the communities of Osoyoos in the south to Armstrong in the north – incorporating most of the three Okanagan regional districts and is usually known as "the Okanagan" or as the Okanagan Valley or the Okanagan Country. In the United States, the Okanogan Country is the western, lowland core of Okanogan County, which like its Canadian counterpart has a history and economy based on ranching, gold, fruit orcharding and vineyards, but the basin includes Lake Chelan and other flanking valleys. Communities in Washington's Okanogan Basin include Brewster, Pateros, Omak, Okanogan, Oroville and Brewster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanagan_Basin

Now from the Okanagan water basin board.

The Okanagan watershed, or basin, is a narrow strip that spans from Armstrong to the US border and includes six main lakes – Okanagan, Kalamalka, Wood, Skaha, Vaseux and Osoyoos – and surrounding mountains

http://www.obwb.ca/wsd/about/state-of-the-basin

Nothing about Mt Ida, Nothing about Salmon arm.

There is a monument in Armstrong that denotes that at that point all water in the valley flows south and north of that point all water flows north, in other words it is the great divide. All water flows to the valley bottom where it either flows to the north or south from that break over point.
It is a natural watershed boundary as opposed to a political boundary. That is why the mapping will use Armstrong not Salmon Arm for the starting point. Salmon Arm is on the Shushwap drainage, not Okanagan Basin
Waste not
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Lady tehMa wrote:The lidar mapping layer recently enabled on the City of Kelowna. It looks cool, but what actual applications could it have?

lidar.PNG

It is important to also consider its limitations. Fine for broad overviews, but for doing anything specific, a proper survey is needed.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

At one time there was a sign in a rest stop just outside Armstrong (towards Enderby as you pass over a small bridge over Fortune creek).
That sign had arrows denoting a boundary (falsely though), left saying North Ohanagan & right saying South Ohanagan.
We know now Armstrong is north Ohanagan (northern most town).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I drew the approximate boundary in RED. Armstrong is the boundary, but so is Mount Ida near Salmon Arm...

okboundary.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”