Skeeters

Frisk
Guru

Skeeters

Post by Frisk »

Is it just me or are the mosquitoes nastier than usual this year? Must be the rain we had and now the heat. I tried to go on a hike this evening but had to turn around after a couple minutes because they were swarming me like a magnet. Generic bug spray didn't really seem to bother them.
deedub
Fledgling

Re: Skeeters

Post by deedub »

Have to agree , sitting out on the deck is a battle .
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yes, standing water is the culprit and we've got more of that this year and last.
I haven't failed until I quit.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Frisk wrote:Is it just me or are the mosquitoes nastier than usual this year? Must be the rain we had and now the heat. I tried to go on a hike this evening but had to turn around after a couple minutes because they were swarming me like a magnet. Generic bug spray didn't really seem to bother them.

i was thinking the same thing yesterday..............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

They seem to be about the size of a hummingbird too :-X
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I feel like I'm being eaten alive when watering in the evening. One thing we made sure of before leaving for a few days was to thoroughly empty all the rainwater barrels. I've got a few more areas to check obviously though.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yes there are very bad and HUGE this yr....wear skeeter patches (you'll find them in the camping section in any store).. 100% natural and deet free...they work very good..
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

It’s a treat here....just north of edmonton it’s absolutely insane how bad they are. Worst I’ve seen since living in fort McMurray.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

vegas1500 wrote:It’s a treat here....just north of edmonton it’s absolutely insane how bad they are. Worst I’ve seen since living in fort McMurray.

Well.....they like all those thinned skinned, flatlanders that are surrounded by puddles and stagnant pools (Albertans call them "lakes").

You can either pay in blood in Alberta, or by taxes here in the Okanagan.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Put the skeeter net on the gazebo for first time.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Tried, tested & true mosquito repellent with Deet, I've tried the other crap.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The other factor is the less deadly pesticides that are being used in orchards. They used to do a great job at nuking the poop out of the mosquitos......all this namby pamby "less deadly" stuff and lower usage rates to make the fruit "healthier" sucks big time.
Pesticide drift is your friend.
You and 71 others Like this post
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Google how to build a bat house. Those flying buggers eat a ton of skeeters every night. Best "organic" ( hate that word) way of dealing with the bugs.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

LANDM wrote:The other factor is the less deadly pesticides that are being used in orchards. They used to do a great job at nuking the poop out of the mosquitos......all this namby pamby "less deadly" stuff and lower usage rates to make the fruit "healthier" sucks big time.

Yeah right up to the point where it gives you cancer. :200:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
LANDM wrote:The other factor is the less deadly pesticides that are being used in orchards. They used to do a great job at nuking the poop out of the mosquitos......all this namby pamby "less deadly" stuff and lower usage rates to make the fruit "healthier" sucks big time.

Yeah right up to the point where it gives you cancer. :200:

So "organic" is better. I like that word, regardless of how Seeward above spins it. :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”