Urgent Care Centre

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Urgent Care Centre

Post by Catri »

This is how our mayor advocates for the many Kelowna citizens who are lacking primary care...
Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran says an urgent care centre for Kamloops could mean the Okanagan is out of the running, at least in this round of announcements. But, he added, Interior Health must ultimately decide where they are located.

"We believe the Okanagan should have one," said Basran. "Would I like to see it in Kelowna? Yes. But I also know Interior Health will put it in the area that they believe will best serve the region."

It all seems very "oh well, la de da, maybe next time..." He should be in IHA's face about this. There is a desperate shortage of GPs here and our Emerg is a gong show, an urgent care centre would help immensely, especially if it were located away from the existing hospital (say in Rutland or at UBCO). Isn't advocating for the betterment of our community sort of part of his job?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#228425
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Urgent Care Centre

Post by Anonymous123 »

Catri wrote:This is how our mayor advocates for the many Kelowna citizens who are lacking primary care...
Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran says an urgent care centre for Kamloops could mean the Okanagan is out of the running, at least in this round of announcements. But, he added, Interior Health must ultimately decide where they are located.

"We believe the Okanagan should have one," said Basran. "Would I like to see it in Kelowna? Yes. But I also know Interior Health will put it in the area that they believe will best serve the region."

It all seems very "oh well, la de da, maybe next time..." He should be in IHA's face about this. There is a desperate shortage of GPs here and our Emerg is a gong show, an urgent care centre would help immensely, especially if it were located away from the existing hospital (say in Rutland or at UBCO). Isn't advocating for the betterment of our community sort of part of his job?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#228425

Why not in West Kelowna?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Catri wrote: It all seems very "oh well, la de da, maybe next time...

And if it was a developer that was going to build a tower he'd be down and his knees begging. Just remember where his priorities are when you vote.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
westernrider
Fledgling

Post by westernrider »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Why not in West Kelowna?

IHA owns a large piece of land lying fodder in the middle Westbank/West Kelowna that was set aside for just this type of building. Hopefully Archer is working hard behind the scenes to make it happen.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Anonymous123 wrote:Why not in West Kelowna?

Because he isn't mayor of West Kelowna.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

[quote="westernrider"

IHA owns a large piece of land lying fodder in the middle Westbank/West Kelowna that was set aside for just this type of building. Hopefully Archer is working hard behind the scenes to make it happen.

[/quote]

I think that the land is laying fallow, fodder is something that animals eat.
Waste not
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So if there aren't enough Doctors and Nurses to staff existing Hospitals and Clinics now then where do they plan on getting them for these care centers?

We have walk in clinics closing because of not enough Doctors to staff them.

The NDP had better hire someone to look into this problem and get back to us.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:Why not in West Kelowna?

Catri wrote:Because he isn't mayor of West Kelowna.

Having one in West Kelowna would ease the pressure put on the ER in Kelowna.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I agree that an Urgent Care in West Kelowna wouldn't go amiss, but if there has to be only one in the area, I think it would serve a larger population and so reduce the pressure on KGH more if it were on this (east) side of the lake. KGH is as close to the lake as you can get, those of us who aren't lake adjacent (Rutland, Belgo, Black Mountain, Ellison, Glenmore and Lake Country, which together is a substantial chunk of population) would make more use of an urgent care centre at or near UBCO. It would also make sense if they made it a learning environment for the medical students and would be a start at mitigating the effect on the community of having kept KGH in it's current location, which most of us at this point probably agree was a short-sighted decision made long ago. I think West Kelowna should lobby for their own healthcare facilities, but I don't think that should keep Kelowna's civic government from doing the same.

Edited for clarity.

Return to “Central Okanagan”