City crime

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: City Park / Downtown

Post by the truth »

100% correct....................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That's just great....throw out the buskers and the pop-up venders and turn the whole park over to the junkies and the homeless.

What does that tell everyone about what is more important and how honest people are being driven out of Kelowna to make room for the.......................(insert adjective here),_______________.
Bring back the LIKE button.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Jflem1983 wrote:I tell people to holiday in the states. Take trips to Arizona. Do not spend money here. Kelowna has been lost. Until we get new mayor and council i will not encourage anyone to spend any money here. Best way to kill a bad attitude is to starve it out

You are joking, I hope.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

just popping in wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:I tell people to holiday in the states. Take trips to Arizona. Do not spend money here. Kelowna has been lost. Until we get new mayor and council i will not encourage anyone to spend any money here. Best way to kill a bad attitude is to starve it out

You are joking, I hope.

Im not the only one who says this.

Im at Capri rite now. There r 20 people out front swapping bike parts. I have never seen town look so bad. I would not ask anyone to vacation here
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

You just like AZ 'cause it's open carry. :biggrin:
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Im not the only one who says this.

Im at Capri rite now. There r 20 people out front swapping bike parts. I have never seen town look so bad. I would not ask anyone to vacation here

We really are being overrun. I try and look the other way in most cases, because people gotta be somewhere. Moving them from where I can see them to where I can't, doesn't solve any problems.

I've come to agree that those in power have chosen to emphasize the lovely fun things about this area (and there are lots of them) as if they can outrun this problem with enough craft breweries, wine shops and yoga parlours. I think we do have many citizens who are oblivious to what's going on around them, so they don't care either. Walter Gray definitely embodied that mentality. Colin Basran is a kinder, gentler sort, but is unwilling or unable to get anything done on this issue.

We don't know how to help them (those that aren't beyond help) and we can't make them go away.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so many come on here^^^^^^ and go on about its not that bad downtown, blaa ,blaa blaa -case closed https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231561
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

the truth wrote:so many come on here^^^^^^ and go on about its not that bad downtown, blaa ,blaa blaa -case closed https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231561

Oh its only 6500 grams of fentanyl. No big deal :D
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote:so many come on here^^^^^^ and go on about its not that bad downtown, blaa ,blaa blaa -case closed https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231561

So many? I'm a pretty small minority on here.

But I'm glad the case is closed now. Onto the next issue!
entertained

Post by entertained »

so tired of all this bs...study after study yet nothing being done. Spending $$$ like crazy for nothing. I was at City park for 6 hours today. Not one cop or bylaw...not one. What I did see was some city park campers with open booze and 2 goofs getting ready to shoot up right by the 800k washrooms. My kids just stared..shockingly saying are they allowed to do that dad. It may be time for the citizens of Kelowna to take matters into our own hands. We are sitting back and doing nothing. Time for an organized, non violent rally to city hall, rcmp station, gospel mission and city park. Everyone bring a gallon of bleach so are streets can get somewhat cleaned up again. After the rally we all go to illichmens for lunch just to apologize from the city for allowing this to happen. I was born and raised here and it's out of control. Too many bleeding hearts making stupid decisions. We need rehab!!!They need homes but they need rehab first. They don't want a home, they want a lawless society and to have easy access to drugs. Give the homeless homes but they are not allowed in if they are addicted to drugs. Home for the homeless..rehab for the addicted. Take that 47 million that they are spending for the homeless and put that into rehab centers. It would create some jobs, help the addicted, and clean up our city. Can anyone tell me why that is not a good idea? Some will say it doesn't work unless they want to clean up. If your in the criminal system, make it mandatory. When you get an impaired, they make you take a course. Do the same for drugs.

Stupid question and maybe off topic but I have heard prisoners suing the prisons because they were not kept safe...can we sue the city if we get poked by a needle in city park? Any lawyers out there? lol
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

keepitreal wrote:are you complaining about Festivals Kelowna, the money these people are making or just certain people in general? You should maybe open a different thread as this one has to do with the condition of city park.

I am sorry you misunderstood me. I was not just complaining about the moneys that people make...
My point is : I did not realize that the citizen of Kelowna are so filthy rich that they do not care where their tax money goes.
To stay on point, when we where vendors at City Park, not only the police force but also the by-law, the staffs of Park Alive and the staffs of Festivals Kelowna walked in City Park every day to see what was going on.
Unless pressure is put on City Hall, to find out and justify where the tax money is going when there are no vendors in City Park.
Then why is Festivals Kelowna being paid to look after vendors that are not in City Park as Renata Mills was paid in the past to look after vendors and still collecting money for the same job but no vendors in City Park.
If people are truly interested in removing the homeless or druggies from City Park, we need to get more people as vendors in City Park.
Why used tax money, to pay Festivals Kelowna to do nothing ? I believe the tax money could go to better used than paying somebody to do a job that is no longer there.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

It’s pretty bad lol. I haven’t gone anywhere and been able to stand still or sit for more than ten minutes without being approached for a handout. Some very unhealthy looking people, many with HIV and other nasty diseases. They are all over lower Mission also, the Shell station was like a scene in a zombie apocalypse movie tonight.
I see tweekers living in cars and old rv’s all over town.
Kelowna is small and overpopulated, there is nowhere for the influx of sketchy street rats to spread out so you encounter them pretty much anywhere you go.
keepitreal
Fledgling

Post by keepitreal »

oldhippy wrote:
keepitreal wrote:are you complaining about Festivals Kelowna, the money these people are making or just certain people in general? You should maybe open a different thread as this one has to do with the condition of city park.

I am sorry you misunderstood me. I was not just complaining about the moneys that people make...
My point is : I did not realize that the citizen of Kelowna are so filthy rich that they do not care where their tax money goes.
To stay on point, when we where vendors at City Park, not only the police force but also the by-law, the staffs of Park Alive and the staffs of Festivals Kelowna walked in City Park every day to see what was going on.
Unless pressure is put on City Hall, to find out and justify where the tax money is going when there are no vendors in City Park.
Then why is Festivals Kelowna being paid to look after vendors that are not in City Park as Renata Mills was paid in the past to look after vendors and still collecting money for the same job but no vendors in City Park.
If people are truly interested in removing the homeless or druggies from City Park, we need to get more people as vendors in City Park.
Why used tax money, to pay Festivals Kelowna to do nothing ? I believe the tax money could go to better used than paying somebody to do a job that is no longer there.

thanks for the explanation....good points
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fall wrote:It’s pretty bad lol. I haven’t gone anywhere and been able to stand still or sit for more than ten minutes without being approached for a handout. Some very unhealthy looking people, many with HIV and other nasty diseases. They are all over lower Mission also, the Shell station was like a scene in a zombie apocalypse movie tonight.
I see tweekers living in cars and old rv’s all over town.
Kelowna is small and overpopulated, there is nowhere for the influx of sketchy street rats to spread out so you encounter them pretty much anywhere you go.

very true,,,,,,,, but many on here will say what your saying is just not true , the same people say they are out there everyday and do not see what some of us are seeing, :135: hard to see the truth from mommies basement
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The over-exaggeration and fear-mongering is thick in this thread.

Is downtown perfect? No. Is it the hellhole slum you guys make it out to be? Also no.

We walked around downtown last weekend with friends from out of town and they loved it. They thought it was beautiful and we had a great time.

Return to “Social Concerns”