City crime

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: City Park / Downtown

Post by WalterWhite »

voice of reason wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
The new beach patrol stormtroopers have zero authority to deal with any such matter - unless the crazy underwear man was posting a restaurant lunch specials sign to the bridge railing.

nice of them to roll out the beach patrol stormtroopers right at the very end of summer when the beaches will be empty and the tourists have gone home. once again too little too late

Just further proof it’s nothing more than a PR stunt straight from Mayor Sugarplum’s office in a hope to bolster his image pre-election time. “I’ve heard your calls of concern for action and I reacted”. Pffft.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

A citizen’s arrest? Nice! The revolt has begun - we’re not going to take it anymore! Cue the tar and feather brigade!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... d-downtown
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

:up: :smt045 we can only hope
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

WalterWhite wrote:A citizen’s arrest? Nice! The revolt has begun - we’re not going to take it anymore! Cue the tar and feather brigade!

Man had sustained an injury to his face. Citizen clocked him, lol!!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we can only hope , a nice elbow to the teeth is a simple and very effective move
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

WalterWhite wrote:A citizen’s arrest? Nice! The revolt has begun - we’re not going to take it anymore! Cue the tar and feather brigade!

NICE! The guy that thumped him should get the key to the city! :up:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Citizen lucky they didn't get knifed. Must have been something really expensive they chased him for blocks and needed 4 to take him down.
Maybe gum from Shoppers
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hey assran ,public caning to set a new standard would be nice
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

So just returned from DT. Looks like the side of the HSBC is now a new hang out spot.. 20.
Panhandler outside of Blenz, Bread Co and up and down the street. Buying local I picked up 4 books at Mosaic, enjoyed a breakfast in BreadCo and got jeans at Blondes. Between 9:30 and 11 the vibe really changed ( I guess they get started late)FYI - tons of happy parents in BreadCo celebrating the start of school :) If they wash the sidewalks often I musta missed that, they were gross.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

normaM wrote:Citizen lucky they didn't get knifed. Must have been something really expensive they chased him for blocks and needed 4 to take him down.
Maybe gum from Shoppers

The value of the product = $.50.

The value of stopping future occurrences = priceless.

What is your weekend in jail + legal fees + public knowledge and humiliation + potential fines = to you ?

Aren't police paid to protect all of us equally, regardless of loss ? How do we know the value of what was stolen? It wasn't mentioned in the news article.
Bring back the LIKE button.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

if someone is stealing gum I doubt they are hiring a Lawyer.
Where the heck can you even get gum for 50 cents?
Ah, maybe down a dark alley around midnight.. that's when all the good deals appear :/
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

you get gum for 50 cents in Mexico...those diarrhea chiclets that the kids there sell...instant weight loss program...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OH.....OKAY then....make it $3.50. Are you happy now? I don't know the value of gum, I don't buy it and I don't pay attention to the cost of it.
Talk about taking this from the sublime to the ridiculous. The point is, at what price point does one consider the risk outweighs the punishment and the potential for financial repercussions and public humiliations?
What was the value of the stolen item that caused such a police presence and public arrest? Was it $3.50 or was it $3,500 ? The criminal charge is the exact same....
"Theft under $5,000".
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-322.html

Now they can add the charge of:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... ul_Custody

And maybe even add:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-270.html
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

cost is not the issue here imo its the principal ,
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It is neither the cost or the principle. It is the law! AND all laws have to be applicable to ALL people, regardless of the age, wealth, appearance, or social status.
This person took something that did not belong to him and the business took the loss for both the cost and the loss of profit.

Return to “Social Concerns”