Kelowna's New Useless tourist center

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna's New Useless tourist center

Post by WalterWhite »

Given the history - I put zero value in any numbers put forward by TK.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

WalterWhite wrote:Given the history - I put zero value in any numbers put forward by TK.

yup............... :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

JayByrd wrote:July was the first full calendar month of operation for the new Visitor Centre.

Here's the data, via an article on tourismkelowna.com

By the numbers

766 - daily average visitor count (the average in July 2017 was 106)
1,284 - busiest day in July
+$20,000 - retail sales in July (an 800% increase in July 2018 over July 2017!)
To put it in perspective, the new Kelowna Visitor Centre has seen about as many people in our first month of operations as the former location saw in an entire year.

So what do folks make of this data? Is it fair to compare July 2018 to July 2017? Are they flat out lying about how busy it's been? Or is this location, despite how the locals feel about it, actually succeeding so far?

I listened to the radio interviewing the head of the TK, and guess what? I thought they were flat out lying. 700 plus per day?

Gimme a break.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Queen K wrote: 700 plus per day?

Gimme a break.

They count people asking where the washrooms are.
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

Went there for the first time ever to grab a guide for an upcoming trip just outside of Kamloops this morning (available online). I just wanted the paper version.

1. They have no parking
2. They don't carry ANY visitor guide from anywhere in BC

Talk about a perfect waste of precious waterfront parkland. I don't know if they receive any provincial funding but it should be revoked, including any money they receive from TOTA. I also feel like we've been scammed by the City. Wondering if they still rent the warehouse space at Fripps to store their "books".

I ended up printing the online version of what I was looking for, eh, it's black and white but it works for me.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Why would you be surprised that a Tourism Kelowna office doesn’t have info on another area?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Well I need to get down there and have a look see.
I need to see what the native component is they have there.

At the public meeting they outlined their plans for the place.. after that the public submissions were heard.
One person brought up the fact that it may have been a place used by the natives long ago (not though)

After the submissions they TK had spun up some new info to bolster their case.
I think it was Bobby at any rate one thing they came back with was along the lines of... in recognition of the Native Heritage of the area we plan on having some display items that give recognition to the Valley Natives. This was brought up only to counter the submission of one of the non supporting side

So , I will have to see if the did in fact hold to their promise or if it was simply more TK PiffleGorp or BaffleGlab..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

Gilchy wrote:Why would you be surprised that a Tourism Kelowna office doesn’t have info on another area?

Cuz Kelowna is the Centre of the Universe? Jk

The old one did. The ones on the Connector, Westbank, Peachland and Summerland do as well.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JayByrd wrote:July was the first full calendar month of operation for the new Visitor Centre.

Here's the data, via an article on tourismkelowna.com

By the numbers

766 - daily average visitor count (the average in July 2017 was 106)
1,284 - busiest day in July
+$20,000 - retail sales in July (an 800% increase in July 2018 over July 2017!)
To put it in perspective, the new Kelowna Visitor Centre has seen about as many people in our first month of operations as the former location saw in an entire year.

So what do folks make of this data? Is it fair to compare July 2018 to July 2017? Are they flat out lying about how busy it's been? Or is this location, despite how the locals feel about it, actually succeeding so far?

bit of a stretch - I don't see a figure for the number of LOCALS who went in just for a boo while out walking to see what the thing was all about....2 were from my family including me so there should be at least a count of "2" in a "locals lookyloo" column lol! So what they've done is just counted any noses who came through - anyone else go down for a look-see? Darn sure there were at least several of us locals they are counting as "visitors" making it sound like it's all out of town folk. We visited alright - but we live here so I don't think that really counts for the purpose of the building.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dle wrote: We visited alright - but we live here so I don't think that really counts for the purpose of the building.

I'll second and third that.

I'm not fond of the location. The building itself though I really do like.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

It would look great over by the old Police Station..
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

I bet you these are 99% walk ins that came to look at the new building. Was there an actual tally how many were from out of town and had inquiries? You can always cook the books if need be to make things look better.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Well I need to get down there and have a look see.
I need to see what the native component is they have there.

At the public meeting they outlined their plans for the place.. after that the public submissions were heard.
One person brought up the fact that it may have been a place used by the natives long ago (not though)

After the submissions they TK had spun up some new info to bolster their case.
I think it was Bobby at any rate one thing they came back with was along the lines of... in recognition of the Native Heritage of the area we plan on having some display items that give recognition to the Valley Natives. This was brought up only to counter the submission of one of the non supporting side

So , I will have to see if the did in fact hold to their promise or if it was simply more TK PiffleGorp or BaffleGlab..

Your terminology is incredibly derogatory and you are a racist for using it. natives, or Valley Natives is incorrect. Members of First Nations is the appropriate title.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Ok, I apologize, use the term First Nation instead of what I wrote.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

gman313 wrote:
Your terminology is incredibly derogatory and you are a racist for using it. natives, or Valley Natives is incorrect. Members of First Nations is the appropriate title.

And you are so full of crap for pinning out 60 yrs for any new found language terminoligy that was cooked up
in some holier than thou PC corrective BS !

He stated nothing wrong, and should need not apologize for his wording.

Just sayin'

Take me to task !

My Indian friends hate the term First Nations ! (They are all 50 +)

ETA; Not on topic, I get that. The BS spewed toward another person though, I needed
to cover.
Remove my post away !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”