John Hindle Drive - Update?

momma2a.sage

Re: John Hindle Drive - Update?

Post by momma2a.sage »

Jflem1983 wrote:
momma2a.sage wrote:As I previously mentioned in my post.... I am a student at UBCO and I know for a fact that it will be completed by the first day of Fall classes (September 4th), if not sooner.

I think everyone needs to chill and let it happen. I don't know how it would make a huge difference to the majority of the public, since it is generally for those who need access to UBCO, they have an apartment within the vicinity, or their children attend Aberdeen Hall. The fact that I am a student, have been taking classes all summer, and this hasn't affected me in the slightest should give you an idea. Especially since it WOULD be easier for me to take that route from my home, but I am more than willing to be patient.

Nice to think everyone is a student. Lots of us use the City Dump. It happens to be rite there. U can probably smell it

I did not imply in what I wrote that anyone else was a student on here. I simply stated a fact from my own personal experience in driving up there for the past 2 years. I am also a mother and part of the general public that uses the dump. I'm not seeing how this construction hinders your ability to make it to the dump. It is still accessible as of present, since I have also driven up from Glenmore to look. Not to mention, going to the dump from the other side will still be quite a feat, since student traffic can be very hectic throughout the day during the regular term(s). Yes, we can smell it... I don't know what your point is :topic:
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote:Considering that they have to do most of the work at night and the number of surprises they dug up I think they are doing just fine. Since this is a contract, it does not help them to string it out any longer than necessary.
The traffic circle at Valley and Cross roads took 4 months and that is just one intersection. In that case they did not work after 3 pm and never worked weekends.

delSol97 wrote:
They aren't doing fine at all ... they throw up massive concrete overpasses and bridges over the freeway in Vancouver twice as fast as this.

It's ridiculous how long they drag out road construction work in the interior.

Surprise!
This is not Vancouver where they have contractors with massive yards full of equipment and legions of workers to complete the work. It costs a fortune to ship dozens of pieces of equipment to a job site and house workers when they get there. In construction there is a cardinal rule, the faster you want the work done the more it is going to cost you. The contractor in this case is not some fly by night outfit. The portion across the open field was finished last year, that was the easy part.
The tie into UBCO and Aberdeen Hall infratructure has been time consuming. The road to Aberdeen Hall has been completely replaced. There is a tie in to Academy Way.
The biggest complaint about construction is the length of time it takes, usually by people who don't have a clue.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

momma2a.sage wrote:As I previously mentioned in my post.... I am a student at UBCO and I know for a fact that it will be completed by the first day of Fall classes (September 4th), if not sooner.

I think everyone needs to chill and let it happen. I don't know how it would make a huge difference to the majority of the public, since it is generally for those who need access to UBCO, they have an apartment within the vicinity, or their children attend Aberdeen Hall. The fact that I am a student, have been taking classes all summer, and this hasn't affected me in the slightest should give you an idea. Especially since it WOULD be easier for me to take that route from my home, but I am more than willing to be patient.

The students at UBCO maybe a large part of the need for John Hindle Drive but there are other factors. Currently, Airport traffic from downtown such as shuttle buses and taxis use the Valley Road N-Sexsmith corridor. Dump traffic from Rutland and surrounds uses the same Valley Road N-Sexsmith corridor. The opening of JHD will benefit the residents of Sexsmith and Valley Road by getting some of the garbage trucks and dump trucks off the residential street. As housing is being pushed up the Glenmore Valley into the highlands, this will give residents better access to both the university and the airport.
In an emergency the students and staff will have a better chance of exiting the university.
Waste not
momma2a.sage

Post by momma2a.sage »

Grandan wrote:

The students at UBCO maybe a large part of the need for John Hindle Drive but there are other factors. Currently, Airport traffic from downtown such as shuttle buses and taxis use the Valley Road N-Sexsmith corridor. Dump traffic from Rutland and surrounds uses the same Valley Road N-Sexsmith corridor. The opening of JHD will benefit the residents of Sexsmith and Valley Road by getting some of the garbage trucks and dump trucks off the residential street. As housing is being pushed up the Glenmore Valley into the highlands, this will give residents better access to both the university and the airport.
In an emergency the students and staff will have a better chance of exiting the university.

That is a very fair approach to the subject, and a great explanation. I think that you are very right in the fact that it could/would help traffic from the airport commute/bypass the highway. Also, that it would make for shorter drop times for dump trucks on the Rutland side as well.
Great response! :clapping:
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Just got back from landfill. While as far as the roadway goes it appears from the landfill side they don't have a lot left to do but I would have said the same thing back in May. Definitely the slowest road construction I have ever seen anywhere.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

momma2a.sage wrote:

That is a very fair approach to the subject, and a great explanation. I think that you are very right in the fact that it could/would help traffic from the airport commute/bypass the highway. Also, that it would make for shorter drop times for dump trucks on the Rutland side as well.
Great response! :clapping:

Thanks!
I forgot to mention the fact that Glenmore and Downtown cyclists and bus riders will have fast access to the university and not have to battle traffic on Hwy 97. Emergency vehicles will have shorter access from both directions and Hwy 97 crashes can be circumnavigated. It is the most important new road in a decade.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

cv23 wrote:Just got back from landfill. While as far as the roadway goes it appears from the landfill side they don't have a lot left to do but I would have said the same thing back in May. Definitely the slowest road construction I have ever seen anywhere.

That is because 3/4 of the work is being done at the University end which cannot seen very well from the dump end. The bulk of the work is underground, being done now so the road does not need to be dug up in the future to install utilities.
Waste not
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

Slowest construction project in the interior? What about the highway 97 project at Reid's corner?? I think we are in our third year. And everyday when I drive through there, crews have been working all night and yet nothing appears to have been done.

From what I have seen, the John Hindle project is moving along much quicker than the highway, and should be done before school opens.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dsldriver wrote:Slowest construction project in the interior? What about the highway 97 project at Reid's corner?? I think we are in our third year. And everyday when I drive through there, crews have been working all night and yet nothing appears to have been done.

From what I have seen, the John Hindle project is moving along much quicker than the highway, and should be done before school opens.

About the only thing I keep seeing in that area is safety pylons being moved around to block lanes, for no apparent reason, since I never see anyone actually working in the closed lanes.

It's ridiculous how long it's taking them to finish the concrete fill in the median, and they always seem to leave some small section undone, rather than getting it over with and completing a stretch of road once and for all.

Meanwhile others will have the 6 lanes of Hwy 97 through the rest of Kelowna repaved and finished before these putzes get done.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

John Hindle:

"“The contractor is on track to have the majority of the work completed by the end of August and anticipate that only minor work [of] the roadway will be remaining.”
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

When i was up there today, they were starting paving.
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

And then? :130:
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

It opens Friday August 31st.
Model citizen......zero discipline.
Damien
Fledgling

Post by Damien »

Cool, thanks.

Any link to the info?
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

Nope, just what the Site Superintendant told me today while I was on site.
Model citizen......zero discipline.

Return to “Central Okanagan”