Check your Licence plates

doughboy251

Check your Licence plates

Post by doughboy251 »

Hey so someone stole my plates off my car last night, but in a twist replaced the back one with a different plate. So next time you go out you may want to check your plates.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: check your Licence plates

Post by Bsuds »

While you're at it check your decal. Is it current and on the back plate? (saw one the other day on the front and the guy had no clue it was supposed to be on the rear)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

doughboy251 wrote:Hey so someone stole my plates off my car last night, but in a twist replaced the back one with a different plate. So next time you go out you may want to check your plates.

A similar thing happened to my son in law. Arriving home from an outing in our vehicle, he noticed his plate had a different number on it. Then he saw his plate on the car of a visitor to the landlord upstairs!
The next morning when we left we noticed the plate was gone from the car parked at the end of the alley.
This was Calgary.
Waste not
snoozin
Fledgling

Post by snoozin »

What area did this happen?
zoo
Übergod

Re: Check your Licence plates

Post by zoo »

This happened to my mom in penticton. Figured she had the wrong plates for over 3 months. They found her plates in Van.
Its frequent, good thing to check.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

While you at it, also check that your license plate isn't "dissolving" I've seen many where the actual surface of number plates has corroded off. I thought mine was OK, until I checked it carefully. In a fairly large area, there are signs that there is major corrosion below the painted surface.

My plates/mandatory insurance expires in early October and at that time I will certainly be demanding a new set of number plates for free.

I wonder how much ICBC saved buying poor quality plates ? I've dug up 50 year old plates in my back yard that were in better shape than some of the plates I'm seeing on the roads today.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bsuds wrote:While you're at it check your decal. Is it current and on the back plate? (saw one the other day on the front and the guy had no clue it was supposed to be on the rear)

You'd be surprised how many vehicles are driving around with expired decals... it's 2018, so current stickers are either orange (current month to the end of this year) or yellow (until their expiry in 2019) ... I still see green stickers (last ones expired Dec/2017) almost daily.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

my5cents wrote:While you at it, also check that your license plate isn't "dissolving" I've seen many where the actual surface of number plates has corroded off. I thought mine was OK, until I checked it carefully. In a fairly large area, there are signs that there is major corrosion below the painted surface.

My plates/mandatory insurance expires in early October and at that time I will certainly be demanding a new set of number plates for free.

I wonder how much ICBC saved buying poor quality plates ? I've dug up 50 year old plates in my back yard that were in better shape than some of the plates I'm seeing on the roads today.

Unless your plates are illegible (as in can't reasonably read the plate number with the naked eye), you'll be paying $18 for a new set of plates .. there are no free replacements from ICBC.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

RVThereYet wrote:Unless your plates are illegible (as in can't reasonably read the plate number with the naked eye), you'll be paying $18 for a new set of plates .. there are no free replacements from ICBC.

I'm thinking at that time they won't be legible ;)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

my5cents wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:Unless your plates are illegible (as in can't reasonably read the plate number with the naked eye), you'll be paying $18 for a new set of plates .. there are no free replacements from ICBC.

I'm thinking at that time they won't be legible ;)

And we wonder why all our rates keep going up
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

RVThereYet wrote:
You'd be surprised how many vehicles are driving around with expired decals... it's 2018, so current stickers are either orange (current month to the end of this year) or yellow (until their expiry in 2019) ... I still see green stickers (last ones expired Dec/2017) almost daily.

I'm not surprised by this at all and I see it a lot. It's something I started watching for when I was on the road for work and still continue to look for it.

I caught a close friend who's insurance had been expired for 6 months and he was unaware. (apparently he is not very observant)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I was once pulled over for an expired decal. The police ran my plate and it came back as valid. It was in my glovebox and I just forgot to put it on.
Bring back the LIKE button.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:I was once pulled over for an expired decal. The police ran my plate and it came back as valid. It was in my glovebox and I just forgot to put it on.

If you didn't get a ticket you were lucky. Good PR for the police not to.

Sorta like getting stopped for driving the wrong way on a one way street (lost), nobody intentionally does it, but it is a ticket, but reasonable for the police to just help you get on your way.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bsuds wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:

I'm not surprised by this at all and I see it a lot. It's something I started watching for when I was on the road for work and still continue to look for it.

I caught a close friend who's insurance had been expired for 6 months and he was unaware. (apparently he is not very observant)

I have the same 'hobby", developed it too while traveling for work, pass the boredom... but seriously, big fine if you get caught without insurance, and you can also get a ticket for failing to display a (valid) stickler (i.e. its in the glove box). Though one would hope a cop would give you a warning and let you get on your way after you put it on.
doughboy251

Post by doughboy251 »

snoozin wrote:What area did this happen?

Lake Country off Beaver Lake Road

Return to “Central Okanagan”