Impaled by needle at beach

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Impaled by needle at beach

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote:honestly build a giant jail/rehab centre in the middle of nowhere , keep the chronic offenders in for life and give the junkies rehab, and let them out only if and when the medical professionals
think they are ready to be let out

to expect bad people not to do wrong is madness

Dude you don't even know what drug rehab is.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

So how do we catch someone in the act of using/discarding a needle? And even if we do, will it make a difference? Will the threat of a fine push a drug user to take their act somewhere else?

We can have more RCMP/Bylaw/Security patrols through parks and beaches. People looking to shoot up usually like some privacy though...they usually won't do it in a place where there's lots of eyes on them. We could literally stick a cop on every corner and they'd still find a way.

I know this board is very much against harm reduction, but things like safe injection sites are meant to reduce incidents like this.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JayByrd wrote:
the truth wrote:honestly build a giant jail/rehab centre in the middle of nowhere , keep the chronic offenders in for life and give the junkies rehab, and let them out only if and when the medical professionals

I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss that idea JayByrd; there are several out-of-the way "ranch" type rehabs - check this out as one example:

https://www.recoveryranch.com/treatment ... nce-abuse/

I'm all for it myself. This one is in the states but we have lots of areas in Canada we could have them.....we just don't.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Baffin Island, Labrador, anywhere in Nunavat, Yukon too.

Lots of places. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

JayByrd wrote:So how do we catch someone in the act of using/discarding a needle? And even if we do, will it make a difference? Will the threat of a fine push a drug user to take their act somewhere else?

We can have more RCMP/Bylaw/Security patrols through parks and beaches. People looking to shoot up usually like some privacy though...they usually won't do it in a place where there's lots of eyes on them. We could literally stick a cop on every corner and they'd still find a way.

I know this board is very much against harm reduction, but things like safe injection sites are meant to reduce incidents like this.

They seem to find a guy having a discreet beverage on the beach, or anywhere for that matter. Surely if theres discarded syringes all over the place, which there are.....I fail to see how a bike patrol or foot patrol can't catch one in the act. Maybe they do but its not ever publicized because it might make the city less attractive to tourists and such?
Sure do love Rutland!!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JayByrd wrote:So how do we catch someone in the act of using/discarding a needle? And even if we do, will it make a difference? Will the threat of a fine push a drug user to take their act somewhere else?

I agree with most of what you are saying here but I don't think the safe injections sites help that much - we have a couple here in Kelowna from what I gather - stationary and mobile - both downtown in the "hood", easily accessible, and yet this type of thing is still a HUGE problem. There might be a few people using the sites but I tend to think that when they want their fix they really don't care where they are, or whether there is privacy. I can say that about the privacy from seeing it happen with my own eyes in broad daylight mid-afternoon downtown with the druggie sitting on a curb of the sidewalk right around the corner from the RV drug site - wouldn't have taken him an entire minute to get there! Couldn't have cared less about going to the safe injection site. I get that some who are still with it enough to care if they might actually DIE from fentanyl MIGHT take the 60 seconds to wait til they get to the RV but from what I see around my workplace during the day there are many more who haven't got clue one and don't give a hoot.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

dle wrote:
I agree with most of what you are saying here but I don't think the safe injections sites help that much - we have a couple here in Kelowna from what I gather - stationary and mobile - both downtown in the "hood", easily accessible, and yet this type of thing is still a HUGE problem. There might be a few people using the sites but I tend to think that when they want their fix they really don't care where they are, or whether there is privacy.

I agree, these sites are I'm sure helping some individuals stay safe(er) but it's a drop in the bucket. My comment was mostly toward those who make sarcastic remarks about these sites and don't understand what their purpose is.

And re: privacy, I guess I mean that you can't just station a cop somewhere and wait for him to scoop up the druggies. I agree there are many who simply don't care who sees them or what kind of mess they make...though I suppose we can't really measure the ones who *do* go away from prying eyes.

Heck, for all we know, whomever left that needle at Sarsons got into their car and drove away after. Plenty of those here too.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

dle wrote:[I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss that idea JayByrd; there are several out-of-the way "ranch" type rehabs - check this out as one example:

https://www.recoveryranch.com/treatment ... nce-abuse/

I'm all for it myself. This one is in the states but we have lots of areas in Canada we could have them.....we just don't.

I'm not dismissing the idea of a remote rehab facility. Most of them are just that. Places like the one you linked are expensive, for-profit facilities, and they're set up for individuals who want to, or are at least willing, to be there. They're not really meant for people who are unable to get along with others or follow rules.

I'd love to see a recovery bed for everyone who wants one, including those who are doing court-ordered rehabilitation as an alternative to incarceration, but "just build a huge one" is not likely to work. I think that many who suggest this don't realize the resources or staffing involved in making them functional. Or the rate of relapse for those who have completed such programs. There is no way for a "medical professional" to declare someone cured from addiction, and have any assurance that a person won't fall back to their old ways a day or a week or a month after they're released.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

forget fines, forget automatic rehab. you cant force someone to stop. and there not going to pay any fines.
my initial comment was simple and straight forward. If you get caught in off limit drug use areas, you simply spend 24 hours in jail. similar to the drunk tank. withdrawals would be enough of a deterrent for a user to think twice about shooting up where they are not supposed to.
But first things first. The city has to let these people know certain areas are unacceptable. I bet most would abide by new the rules. But instead though they just provide sharpie containers at the beaches and parks, in hopes that they get used and say fly at er. Just encourages the discarding of needles in these public areas
Just wrong.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Full stop.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

phasyluck wrote:If a fine for suckin down a cold beer at the beach is 230 bucks, whats the punishment for littering a potentially disease infected syringe? Oh I forgot its a free pass because the government coddles these parasites.

Wish I could like this 100 times.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

twofingers wrote:Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Full stop.

First you have to make drug addiction criminal, and then hope half the taxpaying citizens of Kelowna don't get caught up in the dragnet.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote:

and you do,,are you an ex junkie
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] you say people that shoot up like privacy , try walking down leon ave in front of the gospel mission, try walking by inn from the cold on sutherland does not look like they are looking for privacy to me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Queen K wrote:Baffin Island, Labrador, anywhere in Nunavat, Yukon too.

Lots of places. :up:

why not.................. :up:

Return to “Central Okanagan”