Walks on Forum Water

Re: Cyclist Accidents

Post by OKkayak »

spooker wrote:Sadly no, people on bikes don't need formal training

:spitcoffee:
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

ArcticCatHouse wrote:Out off all stop sign runners or red light runners I witness, I would wager 80-90% of the are on a bicycle.
Surprised more aren't dead or seriously injured.....

The legitimate cyclists in my area are for the most part, with some exceptions are good. Meaning aware of the road, traffic, hand signals etc. No big deal at all and respect their space. It’s the idiots on obviously stolen bikes weaving in and around traffic at whim is a bigger issue inmho. It’s yee haw to them with careless regard to anyone. Witnessed it yet again this afternoon
spooker

Post by spooker »

I know this isn't the conspiracy area ... but loved this attitude towards studies that show we have the wrong idea about how to fix traffic ...

Well, that’s because people who do the data are sympathetic to your cause. If you were to get an independent person who doesn’t really take one side or the other, I think you’ll find it different.

Not Kelowna specific but good for a laugh at the "pro-car" councillor in Toronto ...

https://torontolife.com/city/transportation/make-torontos-streets-safer-car-loving-city-councillor-vision-zero-advocate-square-off/
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Love u Frisk. Second time u have started a thread i was thinking of starting.

I agree. Why are so many cyclist riding under truck tires.

I drove by an e bike that got hit. It never made the news. Was about 10 days ago

Another time. I barely avoided killing some idiot riding wrong way on the sidewalk. Blew through some bushes and wiped out under the tires of my dually . Buddy riding shotgun rolls down the window. Yells u are an idiot. Life goes on for those 2 losers.

God looks out for all his children i suppose
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

ArcticCatHouse wrote:Saw a cyclist that looked like he was completely stoned out of his tree riding a crack taxi (BMX Bike) no helmet, ride right in front of a oncoming car in the Esso/Tim hortons 7/11 parking lot the other day, corner of Spall and Harvey.
If the car was going just a bit faster it would have been ugly for the biker.
The biker and the car driver exchanged words and gave each other the famous Trudeau salute!

I've noticed that a lot of street people seem to think that they can just ride out in front of cars and drivers will be able to magically stop for them. Maybe their lack of common sense is what led them to their present station in life in the first place.
ikbishop

Post by ikbishop »

Let me get a few things out of the way as a disclaimer. I am a cyclist, I wear spandex, and I also drive a full size truck and this will be a longer post.

I have a spotless driving record of over 20 years, without a single accident. I am not saying that I am a perfect driver, but considering that I have driven for over 20+ years, on average at least once a day, that works out to a high frequency without an accident.

I have been cycling for about 10 years, 3 times a week during the summer. I stop at all stop signs, signal, and do my general best to be a good citizen of the road. I am not claiming to be perfect, but I do try my best. In my ten years of cycling I have been hit and required ambulance attention twice. Once in 2016 and once in 2017. Both times I was in the bike lane wearing bright colors during the middle of the day.

In 2016 I was traveling on spall in the bike lane from spring field to Harvey, when a car passed me and turned right 5 feet in front of me. I was pulled down, and dragged for a bit, and missed going under the vehicle wheels by a foot. Funny enough, he did this in front of a police car, so the driver was immediately ticketed for driving with undo care.

In 2017 I was traveling on Benvoulin from KLO to Springfield, in the bike lane, once again wearing bright colors. I was moving at about 45km an hour, when a vehicle traveling the opposite direction turned left across both lanes to get into a driveway. I did not even get to hit the brakes, hit the box of the truck, ejected from my bike and summersalted over the box, and landed on my back in the middle of the bike path. Had I not cleared the box, I believe that I would be a paraplegic today. This time the driver couldn’t believe that I was traveling that fast, and believed he had time. Once again the driver was ticketed with undo care and attention.

I find myself constantly nervous on my bike now, the sound of a truck engine revving behind me almost gives me the shakes, simply because a driver did not see me, and one thought that they had time. There will always be poor cyclist out there. I count far too many on my travels on both my bike and my truck. But please don’t forget about the good cyclists. The consequences to us in an accident in a vehicle can be sever.

On a quick end note, to all drivers who wave to me, to show they see me. The ones that pull out to give me more room, when they have the chance. I highly appreciate it.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

techrtr wrote:
ArcticCatHouse wrote:Saw a cyclist that looked like he was completely stoned out of his tree riding a crack taxi (BMX Bike) no helmet, ride right in front of a oncoming car in the Esso/Tim hortons 7/11 parking lot the other day, corner of Spall and Harvey.
If the car was going just a bit faster it would have been ugly for the biker.
The biker and the car driver exchanged words and gave each other the famous Trudeau salute!

I've noticed that a lot of street people seem to think that they can just ride out in front of cars and drivers will be able to magically stop for them. Maybe their lack of common sense is what led them to their present station in life in the first place.

That lack of common sense may very well also lead to an early departure from their station in life riding the way they do...
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

Getting hit by a car hurts! Whether you are walking, riding, skateboarding or whatever.. look both ways before crossing the road. Know your surroundings.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Chalk another one up for cyclists not following the rules of the road.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -on-Hwy-33
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Lets just hope he lives and learns.
Black Dogs Matter
oscillate_wildly
Fledgling

Post by oscillate_wildly »

I saw the aftermath of this accident. Kudos to the civilian directing traffic like a pro detouring onto Aurora Ave, he snapped right to it before the Amublance/RCMP/Fire truck arrived and it was already flowing with plenty of space for people trying to get through. Very well-managed scene. Hope the person pulls through, he was unconscious when I saw him.

Post by Catri »

dogspoiler wrote:Lets just hope he lives and learns.

He probably will, but there seem to be an endless supply of others who won't. The riding on the sidewalk/wrong side of the street combo is deadly.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

dogspoiler wrote:Lets just hope he lives and learns.

Frankly I'm more concerned about the woman in the car needlessly having to endure the whole experience of a collision with a cyclist, not to mention damage to her vehicle.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-235838-101-.htm#235838

A family member tells Castanet it was not a pedestrian who was struck in West Kelowna today, but rather a cyclist who crashed into the side of a vehicle.

"The biker flew into the side of my mom's vehicle. He went flying down the hill and failed to yield. She shoulder checked, and he came out of no where," said the driver's daughter.

The cyclist was apparently not wearing a helmet, and his bike had no seat.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

and his bike had no seat.

Usually when the bike has no seat, its because it was removed by the owner to reduce chance of theft. Is this bike stolen?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”