Bicycle Black Market

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby Mark1111 » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Now I am not advocating that anyone does this...chalk it up to maybe a fairy tale someone once told you. When we were some (lots) years younger me and the misses had moved to Calgary to start our new life into a less than desirable neighborhood (crappy place and yet surprisingly we both look back on it fondly). The neighbor decides that this night is a great time to tune up his wife and 14 year old son (I kid you not - his words through the bedroom window we heard). My wife calls Calgary police after about 5 minutes of drunken hollering. Cops said 'let them work it out'. Wife is not impressed and tells them she hears a woman screaming and she sounds desperate - she didn't - but wifey figured it was time to raise the bar a bit. Next thing you know a chopper is shining a monster light into the back yard, 6 cop cars come screaming into the neighborhood and my wife looks at me and in a meek voice says 'Oh sh*t!. Turns out the guy had a very extensive gun collection that had questionable ownership.

Moral of the story... sometimes providing a little extenuating circumstances to the police goes a long way...just sayin'.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Mark1111
Fledgling

Liked in: 358 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 29th, 2018, 6:22 am

Maybe it's time for some citizens to start their own bait bike program?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

4 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4330 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 29th, 2018, 7:13 am

For many their bike is their only form of transport, one local site I'm on I swear at least 2 bikes daily are reported stolen. Cutting the locks right on their property!

Of course the RCMP can go check it out, good for Mr Dear for getting ticked off enough to put himself out there.
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

dirtybiker likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5147 posts

Postby pieinthei » Sep 18th, 2018, 2:59 pm

This past weekend, i watched (on my security camera) a sketchy looking fella with 3 high end mountain bikes. He put 2 of them in a wooded area of my lane. He came back an hour and a half later with some help to retrieve them. Unfortunately for him, i had retrieved them first, and called the Police to attend. I was told that these bikes are worth over $3000 each. They were taken away by police, and hopefully the riggtful owners get them back.
My point here is, if you are a victim of these junkies, REPORT IT. you never know when someone that is on your side will do the right thing, and help out the good guys.
Also, i have to ad that it felt great to screw over the bad guys, and watch it on camera.. Chalk one up for the good guys!

6 people like this post.
pieinthei
Board Meister

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby gman313 » Sep 18th, 2018, 3:09 pm

pieinthei wrote:This past weekend, i watched (on my security camera) a sketchy looking fella with 3 high end mountain bikes. He put 2 of them in a wooded area of my lane. He came back an hour and a half later with some help to retrieve them. Unfortunately for him, i had retrieved them first, and called the Police to attend. I was told that these bikes are worth over $3000 each. They were taken away by police, and hopefully the riggtful owners get them back.
My point here is, if you are a victim of these junkies, REPORT IT. you never know when someone that is on your side will do the right thing, and help out the good guys.
Also, i have to ad that it felt great to screw over the bad guys, and watch it on camera.. Chalk one up for the good guys!

nice work - one must keep evidence of the serial numbers to prove ownership. After that it is pretty simple. Would have been nice to have an RCMP member waiting for them in the bushes though, ha!

good on you

:130:

Ken7 likes this post.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1629 posts

Postby featfan » Sep 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Can`t prove it but at my building on Pandosy there is a couple that move a large amount of ( stolen)bikes.
A couple times a week there are at least 6 bikes dropped off to them.
You see people meeting him and biking or putting them into their cars.
RCMP say that they won`t attend without proof they are stolen.
All are very nice bikes in very good condition.
featfan
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 580 posts

Postby gman313 » Sep 18th, 2018, 3:18 pm

featfan wrote:Can`t prove it but at my building on Pandosy there is a couple that move a large amount of ( stolen)bikes.
A couple times a week there are at least 6 bikes dropped off to them.
You see people meeting him and biking or putting them into their cars.
RCMP say that they won`t attend without proof they are stolen.
All are very nice bikes in very good condition.

Yep we downtown north end and I always see bikes worth more than my car. the guy is usually riding one and rolling another beside him. Pretty tough to downhill on knox with two bikes so we know that isn't happening....

But you basically have to do the RCMP's job, evidence etc and then they might come.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1629 posts

Postby featfan » Sep 18th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Oh, I have confronted him about the Brooks leather seats and tri bikes a few times.
His reply is they are his girlfriends or kids bikes.
But he has no kids living with him.
His balcony if full of bikes.
The sellers just keep on coming.

gman313 likes this post.
featfan
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 580 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Sep 18th, 2018, 4:52 pm

gman313 wrote:
Yep we downtown north end and I always see bikes worth more than my car. the guy is usually riding one and rolling another beside him. Pretty tough to downhill on knox with two bikes so we know that isn't happening....

But you basically have to do the RCMP's job, evidence etc and then they might come.

Saw a guy riding a bike the other day and rolling one of the bike-share bikes. If he was stealing it, he's in for a surprise.
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1558 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 18th, 2018, 4:56 pm

I hope he rolls it right into a bike chop shop.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Bpeep likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4330 posts

Postby cuba108 » Sep 18th, 2018, 9:59 pm

My pet peeve or question is why can’t the cops make the crackheads show a proof of purchase? These thousand dollar bikes they are riding are unaffordable to most welfare recipients, and I never see the bums riding at the BMX park.Living in Kelowna South there seems to be a crew of thiefs working the 1 am to 4am shift,bolt cutters in their back packs, is it beyond reason to search these people for B&E tools?
Last edited by cuba108 on Sep 18th, 2018, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuba108
Fledgling

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby Bpeep » Sep 18th, 2018, 10:01 pm

If a cop stopped me and asked to prove ownership of my bike I know what I'd tell him.
Then I'd ride away.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10421 posts

Postby MAPearce » Sep 18th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Bpeep wrote:If a cop stopped me and asked to prove ownership of my bike I know what I'd tell him.
Then I'd ride away.

Sadly , if I found a crackheads a$$ on my bike and beat him to get it back , the cop would bust me....
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4740 posts

Postby cuba108 » Sep 18th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Bpeep wrote:If a cop stopped me and asked to prove ownership of my bike I know what I'd tell him.
Then I'd ride away.

Another internet tough guy.

2 people like this post.
cuba108
Fledgling

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby Bpeep » Sep 18th, 2018, 10:16 pm

cuba108 wrote:
Then I'd ride away.

Another internet tough guy.

I'll assume you ride your bike around with a receipt for its purchase from whomever you bought it and you haven't a clue what your rights are.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10421 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan