Bicycle Black Market

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby Bpeep » Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:23 am

I think they have a bait bike program in the LML but not here yet?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.

WalterWhite likes this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10421 posts

Postby spooker » Oct 23rd, 2018, 6:08 am

Being the techie type I've been watching the tracking devices that have come out ... unfortunately the cheap ones are just that ... cheap ... there are a couple that seem to be reliable but they'll be close to $200 ... and the best solution is spending the money on the right lock to step the theft in the first place ...

The only time my bikes have been stolen is when I've been an idiot and left my garage door open all day ... having a good lock, knowing the best strategies, that's what keeps a bike safe 90% of the time ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

2 people like this post.
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby Ken7 » Oct 23rd, 2018, 8:11 am

spooker wrote:Being the techie type I've been watching the tracking devices that have come out ... unfortunately the cheap ones are just that ... cheap ... there are a couple that seem to be reliable but they'll be close to $200 ... and the best solution is spending the money on the right lock to step the theft in the first place ...

The only time my bikes have been stolen is when I've been an idiot and left my garage door open all day ... having a good lock, knowing the best strategies, that's what keeps a bike safe 90% of the time ...

Locks are for honest people I agree, making a effort will send the thief to the next location. Funny how these people who are homeless, seem to all carry bike wheels and tires. It must by like bit coins in their worlds.

Bpeep likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3071 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Oct 23rd, 2018, 9:05 am

There was a dood walking down the street, half carrying, half rolling his bike, front wheel
missing.

Nicely dressed, helmet hanging off his satchel.

Two blocks up, another dood with his cart full of 'stuff' smack dab on the very top, a bicycle
wheel and tire.

Hmmm...coincidence ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Ken7 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3679 posts

Postby Ken7 » Oct 23rd, 2018, 9:10 am

dirtybiker wrote:There was a dood walking down the street, half carrying, half rolling his bike, front wheel
missing.

Two blocks up, another dood with his cart full of 'stuff' smack dab on the very top, a bicycle
wheel and tire.

Hmmm...coincidence ?

Did you stop and make it right??

dirtybiker likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3071 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Oct 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am

Ken7 wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:There was a dood walking down the street, half carrying, half rolling his bike, front wheel
missing.

wheel and tire.

Hmmm...coincidence ?

Did you stop and make it right??

No, I was in a loaded semi, with 10 minutes to go till the gate closed for the day.
I truly wished I could have.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Ken7 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3679 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2018, 6:11 pm

High End Bikes found in junkies drug and theft haven.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#243877

Did you lose a high end bike to someone whose only job it is all day is to go out and steal?

Contact the RMCP immediately please.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14658 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 6th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Bpeep wrote:I think they have a bait bike program in the LML but not here yet?

And why not?

Maybe a bike bait program would have lead the police to this house on Martin Avenue a long time ago?
Instead of having more victims.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14658 posts

Postby jvdlee » Dec 22nd, 2018, 10:28 am

Stolen from Richter and Burne last night. Dec.22/2018. If found please call 250-718-1576
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jvdlee

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby pommiepainter » Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:28 am

They were out in force last night! Mine was stolen out of my shed in my back garden in the Guisachan area last night as well. Not an expensive bike by any means, but I had to walk to work this morning instead of ride.

Sorry yours were stolen jvdlee, they look like really nice bikes :cry:
pommiepainter

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby jvdlee » Dec 24th, 2018, 2:04 pm

We have some awesome people in Kelowna, thank you and Merry Christmas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9 people like this post.
jvdlee

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Dec 24th, 2018, 6:49 pm

That is great news, good you posted it.
I am happy to report that one I had stolen some time ago , was found by one of the forum members at the time.
Thanks, that was awesome.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

2 people like this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2410 posts

Postby spooker » Feb 10th, 2019, 10:13 am

Last week a friend's bike and child trailer were stolen from their yard ... it had accidentally been left in view in the backyard ...

We put up some pictures on Facebook and yesterday another friend of mine contacted me about where I could find the trailer ... yes, it was at the Gospel Mission on Leon ...

Went down there and wandered by looking at the loads of stuff on the sidewalk, saw the trailer but no sign of the bike ... went back to the people near the trailer and asked them if they had seen the bike that the trailer came with ... I showed them a picture of the bike and trailer ... they hadn't seen any bike but agreed that the trailer was the one I was looking for ... the person who'd been using the trailer was not there at the moment ...

We chatted a bit more ... they helped me get a garbage bag to put the stuff currently in the trailer into so that I could take the trailer and not be taking anyone's stuff ... I gave them a $10 for the lady that was currently using the trailer ...

The owner of the trailer was overjoyed that something was recovered ... I'll head back there in a couple of days to see if the guys I talked to found out anything about the bike ... will be carrying a little bit more cash in case they've been able to locate the bike ...

My friend's will be doing a better job of securing their bike for the future ... it sucks that we have to worry about this but we've screwed up society on our watch so we have to find a path through the minefield that is life these days
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Feb 10th, 2019, 11:29 am

spooker wrote:Last week a friend's bike and child trailer were stolen from their yard ... it had accidentally been left in view in the backyard ...

We put up some pictures on Facebook and yesterday another friend of mine contacted me about where I could find the trailer ... yes, it was at the Gospel Mission on Leon ...

Went down there and wandered by looking at the loads of stuff on the sidewalk, saw the trailer but no sign of the bike ... went back to the people near the trailer and asked them if they had seen the bike that the trailer came with ... I showed them a picture of the bike and trailer ... they hadn't seen any bike but agreed that the trailer was the one I was looking for ... the person who'd been using the trailer was not there at the moment ...

We chatted a bit more ... they helped me get a garbage bag to put the stuff currently in the trailer into so that I could take the trailer and not be taking anyone's stuff ... I gave them a $10 for the lady that was currently using the trailer ...

The owner of the trailer was overjoyed that something was recovered ... I'll head back there in a couple of days to see if the guys I talked to found out anything about the bike ... will be carrying a little bit more cash in case they've been able to locate the bike ...

My friend's will be doing a better job of securing their bike for the future ... it sucks that we have to worry about this but we've screwed up society on our watch so we have to find a path through the minefield that is life these days

It’s too bad that we have to pay to get our stolen goods back.
We See
We Judge

Bpeep likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1558 posts

Postby tantor » Feb 10th, 2019, 3:06 pm

lensbaby wrote:"Our neighbour has been bringing in stolen bikes quite frequently." How does Mr Dear recognize a stolen bicycle as opposed to a Thrift Store/Goodwill bicycle?

Not to hard to figure it out when you see a homeless guy with a bag full of bottles and tattered clothes hanging off of him, that the 4000 dollar Giant mountain bike he is riding doesn't belong to him. I see street people all over town riding bikes that I can't afford after working 50 plus hours a week. Any officer who looks at these people and does not make immediate contact with them to find out where they acquired such an expensive bike is not doing his job.

2 people like this post.
tantor

Liked in: 163 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan