Bicycle Black Market

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby pentona » Feb 10th, 2019, 6:25 pm

tantor wrote:
Not to hard to figure it out when you see a homeless guy with a bag full of bottles and tattered clothes hanging off of him, that the 4000 dollar Giant mountain bike he is riding doesn't belong to him. I see street people all over town riding bikes that I can't afford after working 50 plus hours a week. Any officer who looks at these people and does not make immediate contact with them to find out where they acquired such an expensive bike is not doing his job.


This is a good reason why bikes should have to be licensed (and sticker/plate displayed). Also, wouldn't hurt the police to toss the bike in the trunk of the PC; take it back to the station and have the person prove ownership before they get it back. Since most of these types are not wearing helmets, and riding on the sidewalk or wrong direction, they aren't hard to spot.

Ragamuffin likes this post.
pentona
Übergod
 
Posts: 1174
Likes: 291 posts
Liked in: 633 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby RustyCrayon » Feb 10th, 2019, 7:05 pm

pentona wrote:This is a good reason why bikes should have to be licensed (and sticker/plate displayed). Also, wouldn't hurt the police to toss the bike in the trunk of the PC; take it back to the station and have the person prove ownership before they get it back. Since most of these types are not wearing helmets, and riding on the sidewalk or wrong direction, they aren't hard to spot.


Plates and stickers don't prevent vehicles from being stolen. As well, police aren't going to take the time to check everyone's plate/stickers.

There's is a website set up by the local RCMP where you can register your bike online: https://project529.com/garage/organizations/kelownarcmp/landing That way if your bike gets stolen and it's found, the police can reunite you with it.
“Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.”
– Michael Crichton
User avatar
RustyCrayon
Board Meister
 
Posts: 444
Likes: 527 posts
Liked in: 558 posts
Joined: Jan 27th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby pentona » Feb 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:
Plates and stickers don't prevent vehicles from being stolen. As well, police aren't going to take the time to check everyone's plate/stickers.

There's is a website set up by the local RCMP where you can register your bike online: https://project529.com/garage/organizations/kelownarcmp/landing That way if your bike gets stolen and it's found, the police can reunite you with it.


I realize the police don't always have the time; however when they see someone riding without a helmet, and they do have the time, toss the bike in the PC, take it back to the detachment (where serial numbers could be checked) and IF the person brings in a helmet to prove that they have one, give the bike back at that point (if its not stolen).

The registration system does work to some degree, however these brazen thieves will steal "parts" off the bike if they can't cut the main lock. Wheels, seats, handlebars are all easily ripped off, sadly.
pentona
Übergod
 
Posts: 1174
Likes: 291 posts
Liked in: 633 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby RustyCrayon » Feb 10th, 2019, 9:00 pm

pentona wrote:I realize the police don't always have the time; however when they see someone riding without a helmet, and they do have the time, toss the bike in the PC, take it back to the detachment (where serial numbers could be checked) and IF the person brings in a helmet to prove that they have one, give the bike back at that point (if its not stolen).

The registration system does work to some degree, however these brazen thieves will steal "parts" off the bike if they can't cut the main lock. Wheels, seats, handlebars are all easily ripped off, sadly.


I have never seen the police stop anyone for riding without a helmet. (Yes, I know wearing a helmet is the law) I see junkies/thieves riding around on their stolen bikes all the time, and have never seen them riding with a helmet. Have you ever seen the police pull one of them over for not wearing a helmet or riding a bike that is clearly not theirs?

Again, the whole plate and sticker thing wouldn't make any difference. Do you think that because the bike has a plate and sticker, that bike isn't going to get parted out? Thieves don't care. Most of the expensive bikes end up in other cities and provinces.
“Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.”
– Michael Crichton
User avatar
RustyCrayon
Board Meister
 
Posts: 444
Likes: 527 posts
Liked in: 558 posts
Joined: Jan 27th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby pentona » Feb 10th, 2019, 10:21 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:
I have never seen the police stop anyone for riding without a helmet. (Yes, I know wearing a helmet is the law) I see junkies/thieves riding around on their stolen bikes all the time, and have never seen them riding with a helmet. Have you ever seen the police pull one of them over for not wearing a helmet or riding a bike that is clearly not theirs?

Again, the whole plate and sticker thing wouldn't make any difference. Do you think that because the bike has a plate and sticker, that bike isn't going to get parted out? Thieves don't care. Most of the expensive bikes end up in other cities and provinces.


You're right; the police seem to ignore the helmet law. There should be a blitz done on this to put some teeth into the law; it would be a good start. These junkies (usually riding bmx bikes, with hoodies and backpacks) are easily spotted and if they were forced to wear a helmet, they would likely not bother with the bikes. Remember the bikes are their getaway vehicles in a lot of thefts.

I would not want to be the cop who saw a person on a bike with no helmet and they had the time to stop them, didn't bother and in the next block they see the biker having had a serious accident and dies because of a head inury. It will happen.
pentona
Übergod
 
Posts: 1174
Likes: 291 posts
Liked in: 633 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby spooker » Mar 8th, 2019, 4:30 pm

As a followup on my earlier post about the friend who lost the bike and trailer ...

They decided to go down to Bikeways to get a new bike to pull the trailer that was recovered ... and they found their bike! Still need to go down and talk to the manager to get a more full story but the owner has everything back now ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1716
Likes: 1308 posts
Liked in: 1003 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby gardengirl » Mar 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm

With all the discussion about these stolen bikes, one thing puzzles me.
Why is there no comment about the BUYERS of these stolen bikes?
All the crackheads in town are not selling them to each other.
There would be no market for them if SOMEONE was not paying these crackheads for stolen goods.
If you gave a bike to every "homeless" or "street person" in Kelowna, it still would not account for all the bikes which are stolen.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
User avatar
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12914
Likes: 744 posts
Liked in: 673 posts
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:01 pm
Location: Wrong side of the tracks.

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby TerriJ73 » Mar 8th, 2019, 8:00 pm

gardengirl wrote:With all the discussion about these stolen bikes, one thing puzzles me.
Why is there no comment about the BUYERS of these stolen bikes?
All the crackheads in town are not selling them to each other.
There would be no market for them if SOMEONE was not paying these crackheads for stolen goods.
If you gave a bike to every "homeless" or "street person" in Kelowna, it still would not account for all the bikes which are stolen.


A friend of a friend bought her daughters first tricycle this way
TerriJ73
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 897
Likes: 248 posts
Liked in: 706 posts
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby Fancy » Mar 8th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Third hand knowledge is irrelevant. To actually know one would have to be there. If you don't have a bill of sale from a reputable store then you're taking a chance on stolen goods.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49454
Likes: 1482 posts
Liked in: 7760 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby WalterWhite » Mar 8th, 2019, 8:11 pm

TerriJ73 wrote:
gardengirl wrote:With all the discussion about these stolen bikes, one thing puzzles me.
Why is there no comment about the BUYERS of these stolen bikes?
All the crackheads in town are not selling them to each other.
There would be no market for them if SOMEONE was not paying these crackheads for stolen goods.
If you gave a bike to every "homeless" or "street person" in Kelowna, it still would not account for all the bikes which are stolen.


A friend of a friend bought her daughters first tricycle this way


Ah yes, the old “friend of a friend”. Nice to know you have “friends” that support the crackhead bike thieves plaguing this town. How do you think someone else’s daughter felt when that trike was ripped off? Nothing to be proud of or brag about having friends like that.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Moderator
 
Posts: 3839
Likes: 3036 posts
Liked in: 5564 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby TerriJ73 » Mar 8th, 2019, 11:09 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Why

Ah yes, the old “friend of a friend”. Nice to know you have “friends” that support the crackhead bike thieves plaguing this town. How do you think someone else’s daughter felt when that trike was ripped off? Nothing to be proud of or brag about having friends like that.


WW goes all serious. I guess I needed the sarcasm font for that joke.
TerriJ73
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 897
Likes: 248 posts
Liked in: 706 posts
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby WalterWhite » Mar 8th, 2019, 11:19 pm

TerriJ73 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Why

Ah yes, the old “friend of a friend”. Nice to know you have “friends” that support the crackhead bike thieves plaguing this town. How do you think someone else’s daughter felt when that trike was ripped off? Nothing to be proud of or brag about having friends like that.


WW goes all serious. I guess I needed the sarcasm font for that joke.


- or now you’re just (pardon the pun) backpedaling.
Btw, it’s a serious no-no to alter quotes.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Moderator
 
Posts: 3839
Likes: 3036 posts
Liked in: 5564 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby Anonymous123 » Mar 8th, 2019, 11:24 pm

I get the feeling there’s a troll online
We See
We Judge

WalterWhite likes this post.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2849
Likes: 2359 posts
Liked in: 1692 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby boxman180 » Mar 9th, 2019, 9:00 am

So having a lock or even two can be a deterrant but is there is an age, type, color etc. that bike theieves tend to stay away from? I know my 15 year old son's $800 mountain bike(of which he saved up all his own money for because we don't have money for that kind of thing) would be extremely desirable for bike theives. He has a $100 Kryptonite lock as well as a an extra U-lock. It's in the garage chained up in case we forget to close the garage door. He also has an extra $100 used Giant mountain bike that he takes to school and for bumming around town but thats chained up in our back yard along with my $100 used 1991 Schwinn hybrid. My bike is transportation to and from work and to me it may as well be a $1000 bike because if it gets stolen then I have to find another $100 bike for work.
boxman180
 
Posts: 95
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 27 posts
Joined: Nov 9th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Re: Bicycle Black Market

Postby boxman180 » Mar 9th, 2019, 9:09 am

On another note how good of a bike deal can you get at the Bike restore place on St. Paul? I only had a budget of $150 when I bought my 1991 hybrid for $100 on Castanet. Its a cool Chromoly bike that crusies along nicely and works well but it still is an old bike. Im worried that i should have waited and seen what the bike restore place had for $150 that may have lasted me a lot longer. If i could get an even better deal then I may consider selling my bike and buy one from there.
boxman180
 
Posts: 95
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 27 posts
Joined: Nov 9th, 2011, 9:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], daveandanne, kplange and 16 guests