Flair moving to Edmonton?

AlienSoldier
Übergod

Flair moving to Edmonton?

Post by AlienSoldier »

This is a huge loss for Kelowna as this is one of the last large companies that is HQ'ed here. Lots of well paying jobs will be created in Edmonton instead of Kelowna. I know not all of the jobs currently at the airport will be moved, but this is a huge potential opportunity being missed by the City. Airport hubs are important transportation corridors.

The Mayor and the rest of council along with the Premier should be working to keep these sorts of jobs in the City, least this becomes a tourist only town.

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/08/29/flair-airlines-record-summer/
seewood
Guru

Re: Flair moving to Edmonton?

Post by seewood »

I doubt the mayor has a hope in hades of keeping Flair in town.
This is a business decision because the NDP policies are such the company can likely save a big pile of loot working out of Alberta. MSP premiums for one, no PST another, cost of housing perhaps. Wonder what a tank of jet fuel costs in Edmonton compared to BC?
Cost of rental accommodation in Kelowna if you can find it...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

As soon as Jim Rogers sold it you knew it would go. Way to expensive to run a passenger airline out of Kelowna and the new ownership and no ties to the valley.
gjohns87

Post by gjohns87 »

This was announced months ago, and none of the jobs being lost are actually located at the airport. This is a privately owned company, with a staff of about 50 people in the Kelowna office who may lose their positions however it sounds like most of them have been offered a position in YEG, if they so choose. All of the gate staff/check in agents at airport are actually third party contractors. You may be confusing Flair for KF Aerospace, which is it's own entity.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

AlienSoldier wrote:This is a huge loss for Kelowna as this is one of the last large companies that is HQ'ed here. Lots of well paying jobs will be created in Edmonton instead of Kelowna. I know not all of the jobs currently at the airport will be moved, but this is a huge potential opportunity being missed by the City. Airport hubs are important transportation corridors.

The Mayor and the rest of council along with the Premier should be working to keep these sorts of jobs in the City, least this becomes a tourist only town.

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/08/29/flair-airlines-record-summer/

You’re confusing Flair with KF Aerospace.

As for the Flair moving to Edmonton, this was announced at the beginning of summer. Edmonton is Flair’s main hub and most other staff such as crews are based there, moving the operations there makes perfect sense.
stevewalter

Post by stevewalter »

Private company making a good business decision..
I agree with OKkayak.

Return to “Central Okanagan”