Live At Brooklyn - Bernard

StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Live At Brooklyn - Bernard

Post by StraitTalk »

So I checked out this website today: https://liveatbrooklyn.com/. Mission Group went ahead and ensured the projects website was fully translated to Chinese. You know... for all those local Chinese people who can't speak English.

Great! Thanks Mission Group!
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Live At Brooklyn - Bernard

Post by CapitalB »

I mean they're just catering to the market. The only people that can afford to buy property around here are from china. Can't blame the company for going after larger profits, thats kind of how unrestricted capitalism works.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Smart thinking; catering to one of their potential markets. That's the kind of thinking we need to bring more investment to Kelowna.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

CapitalB wrote:I mean they're just catering to the market. The only people that can afford to buy property around here are from china. Can't blame the company for going after larger profits, thats kind of how unrestricted capitalism works.

I know, I just thought I'd do my part and whine about it a little.
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

The Brooklyn is disgusting. Mission Group is building it for short term rentals & airbnb. Nothing to help solve the housing issue plaguing Kelowna.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

mattinkelowna wrote:The Brooklyn is disgusting. Mission Group is building it for short term rentals & airbnb. Nothing to help solve the housing issue plaguing Kelowna.

I know right. And to think of all those poor shmucks who have to work there and get paid so they can go home and feed their families and not be homeless as well. Just terrible. Someone needs to do something about that.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

StraitTalk wrote:So I checked out this website today: https://liveatbrooklyn.com/. Mission Group went ahead and ensured the projects website was fully translated to Chinese. You know... for all those local Chinese people who can't speak English.

Great! Thanks Mission Group!

mattinkelowna wrote:The Brooklyn is disgusting. Mission Group is building it for short term rentals & airbnb. Nothing to help solve the housing issue plaguing Kelowna.

Doesn't all this fall under the new speculation tax rules imposed by the NDP?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Wave101 wrote: I know right. And to think of all those poor shmucks who have to work there and get paid so they can go home and feed their families and not be homeless as well. Just terrible. Someone needs to do something about that.

Yeah those poor schmucks would make the same amount of money working on affordable housing. Imagine that? What a concept.

Let's keep planning for the quick buck in our city. See where that ends up.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I was told ( Urban legend no doubt) that the Mission Group is fronted with Asian monies
Wish someone would front me
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

Wave101 wrote:

I know right. And to think of all those poor shmucks who have to work there and get paid so they can go home and feed their families and not be homeless as well. Just terrible. Someone needs to do something about that.

Nobody is against building up at that location. However how moronic is it that Mission Group scrapped the affordable rental highrise at the corner of Richter & Highway 97 claiming the ground is too unstable yet they will build not one, but two 25 storey high condo buildings 2 blocks away? All of us Kelowna taxpayers got screwed on the deal they got for that valuable piece of land.

Btw the cheap wooden "homes" at Central Green start at $460,000 (there's a sign on Richter). Yep. Half a milllion dollar for a crammed shoebox surrounded by other buildings and thousands of neighbors. Don't think you'll even see the sun for that price, the buildings are so close to one each other you'll be in the shade all day.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

All joking aside, it's a simple fact that developers do not need to build "affordable housing", they can make more money doing their own thing - fair, that's exactly what I'd expect. However, I do find it incredibly significant to see their marketing targeting Chinese buyers. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it is significant and it is a warning sign of things to come. So the question becomes, do we want Kelowna to be the next Vancouver, or not? Plain and simple.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Of all the towers going up downtown, this is my favorite. Far enough from the water for building up and good looking. Virtually on Bernard Avenue too. That's conparable to being on Granville or Robson in Vancouver.

I wish I could live there, but I love having my own backyard for my dog to run.

Ella is very nice too, it will really help revitalize that area. Come to think about it Castanet just put up their brand new building about a year ago right across from it. Also appears they are doing renovations on the former Fur Town building on Pandosy as there was some scaffolding when I walked past it the other day.

Quite exciting times for Kelowna. Now if we could just fix the junkie/homeless/needle/public defecation/urination/garbage problem it'd be great.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

StraitTalk wrote:All joking aside, it's a simple fact that developers do not need to build "affordable housing", they can make more money doing their own thing - fair, that's exactly what I'd expect. However, I do find it incredibly significant to see their marketing targeting Chinese buyers. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it is significant and it is a warning sign of things to come. So the question becomes, do we want Kelowna to be the next Vancouver, or not? Plain and simple.

I mean, a lot of their advertising is targeting Vancouverites or Albertans. In fact, their inauguration and reveal of Brooklyn was held in downtown Vancouver at the Marriott.

If anything, I would say they are catering more to Vancouverites and Albertans but you don't see that because the website is already in English as opposed to a Chinese translation which naturally stands out more.

Affluent prospective buyers are everywhere, be in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, China or even England. Kelowna is a desirable place to be and it is only natural that as our little secret is discovered more people will move here.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Seems reasonably priced to me. And it's Asian, not Chinese. But I think we all get it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

StraitTalk wrote:All joking aside, it's a simple fact that developers do not need to build "affordable housing", they can make more money doing their own thing - fair, that's exactly what I'd expect. However, I do find it incredibly significant to see their marketing targeting Chinese buyers. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it is significant and it is a warning sign of things to come. So the question becomes, do we want Kelowna to be the next Vancouver, or not? Plain and simple.

Nothing racist in that quote, why don’t you come out and say what you are really thinking? Kelowna could use some more diversity.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.

Return to “Central Okanagan”