Live At Brooklyn - Bernard

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Live At Brooklyn - Bernard

Post by the truth »

dudemeiser wrote:Wonder how potential Brooklyn-Bernard purchasers will react when Housing BC breaks ground on the subsidized building going up at 1469 Bertram St.

Oh, they didn't tell you?

nothing like spending $400,000 on a condo and no one telling you a new 24/7 crack shack bc housings opening up next door :200: [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

the truth wrote:
dudemeiser wrote:Wonder how potential Brooklyn-Bernard purchasers will react when Housing BC breaks ground on the subsidized building going up at 1469 Bertram St.

Oh, they didn't tell you?

nothing like spending $400,000 on a condo and no one telling you a new 24/7 crack shack bc housings opening up next door :200: [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

I have to say I find the idea, that subsidized housing is par to a crack shack, absolutely offensive. I have clients and friends who do live in subsidized housing and the environment is absolutely not resembling that. While I don't discount people smoking pot, I see usually other families who simply are trying to make ends meet....

Maybe update your (even then it was wrong) 80's view of subsidized housing.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

your telling me subsidized housing does not have more that its average fair of drug problems ? if your saying no i call bs
but yes there are alot of great people and family's living in subsidized housing also , the screening process for these places is weak at best
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Nice, the homeless derelics get to live at 1469 Bertram for little or no cost to them. 1469 Bertram will be a glorified crack house in no time and fencing stolen property all while BC HOUSING and the John Howard Society turns a blind eye. Hopefully the Cornerstone Shelter manager Andrea Sage won't be in charge of this pending fiasco!!!
dudemeiser

Post by dudemeiser »

I know, because I was one of the tenants they displaced.

Early this year, the sale of the property at 1469 Bertram St to BC Housing was finalized and all occupants were served an eviction notice, removing many people who are on assistance/pensions/disability etc, some of whom have been there 20+ years.

Plan is (was) to have all existing tenants out by fall, with plans to demolish the existing two buildings and to build new, subsidized housing.

Ironically, a number of units have been vacant all summer. And build is expected to take 2 years.

We didn't live there because it was nice, we lived there because it was affordable. BC Housing removed people in order to accommodate those who BC Housing will deem worthy.

Shameful.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

dudemeiser wrote:I know, because I was one of the tenants they displaced.

Early this year, the sale of the property at 1469 Bertram St to BC Housing was finalized and all occupants were served an eviction notice, removing many people who are on assistance/pensions/disability etc, some of whom have been there 20+ years.

Plan is (was) to have all existing tenants out by fall, with plans to demolish the existing two buildings and to build new, subsidized housing.

Ironically, a number of units have been vacant all summer. And build is expected to take 2 years.

We didn't live there because it was nice, we lived there because it was affordable. BC Housing removed people in order to accommodate those who BC Housing will deem worthy.

Shameful.

They dont go by worthyness, they'll be placing the homeless derelics there then come on the news saying " look at us we housed these poor souls"
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Here are some reasons why subsidized housing does NOT equal crack houses.

Potential exclusion criteria – Applicants may be excluded from consideration for The Housing Registry if any of the following apply:

Unable to demonstrate an ability to pay rent and/or failure to apply for and receive income from income programs, such as, but not limited to, the Ministry of Social Development or the Canada Pension Plan.

Demonstration of unacceptable behaviours either in relation to a tenancy or in the community at large that may threaten the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of a community by others.
If there is cause to believe that a household member is engaging in or has a history of criminal activity that may threaten the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the community by others, including the manufacturing or production of illegal drugs.

Furthermore:

Housing Registry members wish to maximize the use of limited available affordable housing by matching eligible applicants to units that meet their needs, in a community where they can be appropriately supported in order to provide them with the best chance of a successful tenancy while cultivating communities free from fear of violence, criminal activity and disturbances of any nature that pose a risk to others.

And:

Demonstrated unacceptable behaviours

Applicants who have demonstrated any of the following unacceptable behaviours either in relation to a tenancy or in the community at large may be excluded from consideration unless they can provide additional information and/or documentation in support of their application to demonstrate suitability as a potential tenant. Each application and supporting documents shall be evaluated on their own merit.

Anti-Social Behaviours – Actions that have caused an unreasonable disturbance or form of harassment to other persons, or damage to property. Examples may include, but are not limited to, verbal abuse, harassment, vandalism, theft of property, racial abuse, prostitution, throwing objects likely to cause harm, substance misuse (illegal substances), and unintentional fires.

Risks to Life Safety Behaviours – Actions that have endangered that person’s own safety or the safety of others or that have created a tangible risk to the applicant or to other persons and/or property. Examples include, but are not limited to violence of any nature, murder or manslaughter, drug trafficking, weapons offences, arson, criminal harassment, sexual assault (formally known as rape), physical assault (with or without a weapon), threats to kill or cause physical harm, vandalism to life safety systems, theft with violence or threats, kidnapping, unlawful confinement, and/or home invasions. This would also include identification by law enforcement as participants in gang related activity, regardless of conviction for the activity.

Nuisance Behaviours – Actions that would be considered a breach of the Tenancy Agreement that are not Risks to Life Safety or Anti-Social Behaviours. Examples may include, but are not limited to, noise nuisance, cleanliness issues that cause smells/pests/health issues, smoking or drinking alcohol under age or in restricted areas, substance misuse (non-illegal substances), begging.

https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assis ... ed-housing

This is the right type of project we need to reduce/end homelessness.
dudemeiser

Post by dudemeiser »

I am still in touch with current tenants at 1469 Bertram st, I invite you to walk by and speak with anyone there, let's just say it's easy to write words, harder to live by them.

Open drug use, unsanitary conditions etc...
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

dudemeiser wrote:

I am still in touch with current tenants at 1469 Bertram st, I invite you to walk by and speak with anyone there, let's just say it's easy to write words, harder to live by them.

Of course theres open drug use and unsanitary conditions, people staying dont give a flying :cuss: about it cause its the tax payers footing the bill not them! Bc Housing and the John Howard Society doesnt give a rats :cuss: either! I can imagine whats coming down the pike when Hearthstone House on Commerce Ave and Heath House on Hwy 97 open up.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

dudemeiser wrote:

bjsilent wrote:Of course theres open drug use and unsanitary conditions, people staying dont give a flying :cuss: about it cause its the tax payers footing the bill not them! Bc Housing and the John Howard Society doesnt give a rats :cuss: either! I can imagine whats coming down the pike when Hearthstone House on Commerce Ave and Heath House on Hwy 97 open up.

...you’re contradicting yourself.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bjsilent wrote:Nice, the homeless derelics get to live at 1469 Bertram for little or no cost to them. 1469 Bertram will be a glorified crack house in no time and fencing stolen property all while BC HOUSING and the John Howard Society turns a blind eye. Hopefully the Cornerstone Shelter manager Andrea Sage won't be in charge of this pending fiasco!!!

john howard society is a f :cuss: joke now , they were great 20 plus years ago, now they have overpaid clueless self serving management
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bjsilent wrote:
dudemeiser wrote:I know, because I was one of the tenants they displaced.

Shameful.

They dont go by worthyness, they'll be placing the homeless derelics there then come on the news saying " look at us we housed these poor souls"

and the new building will be trashed within a year
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Scrobins94 wrote:Here are some reasons why subsidized housing does NOT equal crack houses.

Potential exclusion criteria – Applicants may be excluded from consideration for The Housing Registry if any of the following apply:

Unable to demonstrate an ability to pay rent and/or failure to apply for and receive income from income programs, such as, but not limited to, the Ministry of Social Development or the Canada Pension Plan.

Demonstration of unacceptable behaviours either in relation to a tenancy or in the community at large that may threaten the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of a community by others.
If there is cause to believe that a household member is engaging in or has a history of criminal activity that may threaten the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the community by others, including the manufacturing or production of illegal drugs.

Furthermore:

Housing Registry members wish to maximize the use of limited available affordable housing by matching eligible applicants to units that meet their needs, in a community where they can be appropriately supported in order to provide them with the best chance of a successful tenancy while cultivating communities free from fear of violence, criminal activity and disturbances of any nature that pose a risk to others.

And:

Demonstrated unacceptable behaviours

Applicants who have demonstrated any of the following unacceptable behaviours either in relation to a tenancy or in the community at large may be excluded from consideration unless they can provide additional information and/or documentation in support of their application to demonstrate suitability as a potential tenant. Each application and supporting documents shall be evaluated on their own merit.

Anti-Social Behaviours – Actions that have caused an unreasonable disturbance or form of harassment to other persons, or damage to property. Examples may include, but are not limited to, verbal abuse, harassment, vandalism, theft of property, racial abuse, prostitution, throwing objects likely to cause harm, substance misuse (illegal substances), and unintentional fires.

Risks to Life Safety Behaviours – Actions that have endangered that person’s own safety or the safety of others or that have created a tangible risk to the applicant or to other persons and/or property. Examples include, but are not limited to violence of any nature, murder or manslaughter, drug trafficking, weapons offences, arson, criminal harassment, sexual assault (formally known as rape), physical assault (with or without a weapon), threats to kill or cause physical harm, vandalism to life safety systems, theft with violence or threats, kidnapping, unlawful confinement, and/or home invasions. This would also include identification by law enforcement as participants in gang related activity, regardless of conviction for the activity.

Nuisance Behaviours – Actions that would be considered a breach of the Tenancy Agreement that are not Risks to Life Safety or Anti-Social Behaviours. Examples may include, but are not limited to, noise nuisance, cleanliness issues that cause smells/pests/health issues, smoking or drinking alcohol under age or in restricted areas, substance misuse (non-illegal substances), begging.

https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assis ... ed-housing

This is the right type of project we need to reduce/end homelessness.

looks great on paper, too bad its not enforced in real life
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

the truth wrote:
bjsilent wrote:Nice, the homeless derelics get to live at 1469 Bertram for little or no cost to them. 1469 Bertram will be a glorified crack house in no time and fencing stolen property all while BC HOUSING and the John Howard Society turns a blind eye. Hopefully the Cornerstone Shelter manager Andrea Sage won't be in charge of this pending fiasco!!!

john howard society is a f :cuss: joke now , they were great 20 plus years ago, now they have overpaid clueless self serving management

John Howard Society is a F :cuss: joke, one of the managers at Cornerstone Shelter has absolutely no background in managing a homeless shelter or dealing with the homeless on any level period!! She used to be a waitress at Kelly O' Bryans lol,shes in the position cause shes female and the shelter managers little pet!!!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Chinese investors are now skipping Vancouver and having their sights set on Kelowna.

The Spec tax doesnt matter to them if they have money to think about buying here then they have money for that tax.They dont care how much it costs...but it will rise all the prices in Kelowna and soon it wont be long to see 20...30...even 40 million for Blocks of lots in downtown.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Central Okanagan”