West Kelowna mayoralty candidates

muddydogs

West Kelowna mayoralty candidates

Post by muddydogs »

Is ANYONE going to come forward and run for Mayor?? How can a city of 40,000 people have one candidate??
And please don't answer with 'well why don't you step up'.. I would love to run for a position on Council but with my current job, I don't have the capacity for a Council position.
I'm merely asking because the deadline to declare is 7 days away. And the field so far is very small for both Council and Mayor positions.
We need a Mayor and Council with a vision for this community. As an example, our current Mayor extolling the virtues of Costco coming to WFN land -- where our City will get zero tax benefits -- is an embarrassment.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: West Kelowna mayoralty candidates

Post by TreeGuy »

Yup, slim pickings. Pretty disappointing. Going to be a low voter turn out at this rate.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

no one wants the job. they should have just joined kelowna
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Let's see...

West Kelowna can't keep a crappy West Kelowna Warriors hockey team alive.

West Kelowna cannot attract enough candidates for the top public service position of Mayor

And West Kelowna thinks they can take our Costco? Get real. [icon_lol2.gif]
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I Thought Costco owns Costco..not Kelowna...

well with Costco where can we put it in Westbank...not many areas vs where the WFN has the space. Plus they are probably giving them a killer deal on their tax so they can have their WFN members and status holders have no tax shopping...which is a smart move.

I worked at Future shop in West Vancouver a LOOOOOONG time ago..like Long time ago..anyways that store was on FN land and people with status traveled all the way from Hope to buy electronics because of no tax. I can see the same happening here...

I know im getting off topic there......

So for the mayor to boast about Costco coming this side is because there is more and more destination shopping happening on this side and that is good for everyone over here.

But as for someone coming forward...I dont know why anyone want the job....no matter what you do...your not doing it right and getting hassled all the time about it. not worth the time and money really. Maybe im wrong....but from the low takers on the job on both Mayor and councilor.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

How much does a mayoral position in West Kelowna pay?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

FreeRights wrote:How much does a mayoral position in West Kelowna pay?

google it

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=west+kelowna+mayor+pay

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 08348.html

67000+ for mayor

22000+ for councilor

per year....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Mayor Doug Findlater earned $65,800, about $800 more than the previous year, while the five councillors were each paid $22,350. One-third of council salaries have been tax free, but the tax free portion will be eliminated in January under new federal rules.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 2fa6c.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It's no wonder why people aren't running then. I'd be cutting my salary in half if I was elected mayor.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

how long until kim dobranski announces he is running for mayor
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Findlater has sign posted going into Westbank.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

1nick wrote:Findlater has sign posted going into Westbank.

he is running for council
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Ah.
bobby89

Post by bobby89 »

I think they have till the 14th so stay tuned.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... tions-open
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

muddydogs wrote:..........
We need a Mayor and Council with a vision for this community. As an example, our current Mayor extolling the virtues of Costco coming to WFN land -- where our City will get zero tax benefits -- is an embarrassment.

Westbank First Nation DOES provide taxes to West Kelowna. WFN seems to have the lions share of developed commercial tax base, and commercial pays 3 - 4 times more taxes per square foot than residential. Last I looked, there were 12 separate service agreements that WFN pays to both CORD (AKA RDCO) and West Kelowna. Weed Control, Animal Control, Sewer, and other services especially Fire Protection! They pay the same rates as we do. Were it not for the WFN taxes for fire protection, your commercial and residential taxes would be through the roof. If Costco does arrive, and it's only rumored, they too will pay WFN for Fire Protection of which ends up helping to keep your taxes down. Perhaps it is a good thing you DON'T run after all?

Just sayin s'all
j.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.

Return to “Central Okanagan”