Is this the end of Inn from the Cold?

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Is this the end of Inn from the Cold?

Post by the truth »

Hassel99 wrote:Took two seconds google search to find the policy.

According to Schulz, those protocols include maintaining security patrols to help keep its guests and nearby community safe from those not staying with the Inn. The patrols also ensure guests follow protocols. Other practices include set hours for guest intake, so people aren’t coming and going at all hours; designating a side or rear guest entrance to keep the street front clear; daily cleaning, both inside and out assisted by those staying; and scheduled smoking breaks in a designated area with garbage disposal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4434871/inn- ... -to-lease/

she is so full of it..........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

The policies and protocols Hassel99 posted is what Jan Schulz proposes if IFTC finds new housing. None of these policies and protocols take place in their current location!!!
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

People who have lived in Kelowna for several years and remember the Capri area before Inn From The Cold set up shop should make a visit to see how the area has changed. IFTC may have patrols and clean around their building but the vagrants they house at night are just out of IFTC boundaries during the day. They are now in the neighbourhood, behind buildings, by the creek, in the bushes, in the parks in that area and they don't really care about picking up their garbage, or toilet facilities, or care that they leave needles and drug accessories in those areas. Neighbourhoods shouldn't have to bear the burden of those people who IFTC service. It's blatantly obvious why any neighbourhood would not want IFTC around them.

A Good Neighbour policy should maybe include IFTC creating a work crew to go out and clean up the mess made in the WHOLE neighbourhood by IFTC clients during the day.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Loki - the woman is constantly going to the media pleading for community help
When you do that a simple Q should be easy to answer, hmm
And I take pride in being credible.
edit - I could have said I am on Castanet, but since I am not a staff of Castanet not my place. If there is a policy simple enuff to send it.. especially as the residents are being accused of NOT being good neighbours. Surely she has that ready to send to potential Landlords

"Hi, my name is Norma.. like I said ppl are discussing the plight of IFTC so I was asking about the good neighbour poicy you have in place -----Original Message-----" my email addy removed
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I wouldn't expect a response to that email as you sent it, Norma.

You are contacting her in the context that she is the ED of Inn From The Cold. It's not a text from a friend asking if she wants to go for coffee.

Media don't communicate this way. A potential lessor would not communicate in this way. If I received such an email, I'd suspect someone was trying to set me up.

Your belief that she's the one who's desperate, so she should be thankful that someone's asking, is off-base. You may be able to justify that assumption, but people just don't work that way.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Get replies from Politicians, etc so figured I would from her as well.
I worked for NP agencies, we not only have our info on our web page but had no problem sending it out when asked for it.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

wanderer wrote:People who have lived in Kelowna for several years and remember the Capri area before Inn From The Cold set up shop should make a visit to see how the area has changed. IFTC may have patrols and clean around their building but the vagrants they house at night are just out of IFTC boundaries during the day. They are now in the neighbourhood, behind buildings, by the creek, in the bushes, in the parks in that area and they don't really care about picking up their garbage, or toilet facilities, or care that they leave needles and drug accessories in those areas. Neighbourhoods shouldn't have to bear the burden of those people who IFTC service. It's blatantly obvious why any neighbourhood would not want IFTC around them.

A Good Neighbour policy should maybe include IFTC creating a work crew to go out and clean up the mess made in the WHOLE neighbourhood by IFTC clients during the day.

Unfortunately, the homeless problem is affecting all neighbourhoods, not just Capri. If you visit Mill Creek, Lake Ave Beach Access, Downtown, even the Industrial Park out on Old Vernon - none of the neighbourhoods are the same as they were a few years ago. It's not IFTC causing the problem, it is a gap in our social net where we are seeing more and more people experiencing homelessness.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Post by savvybusinessman »

normaM wrote:"Hi, my name is Norma.. like I said ppl are discussing the plight of IFTC so I was asking about the good neighbour poicy you have in place -----Original Message-----" my email addy removed

With all due respect, if this is the original message you sent.......it sucks. There are two periods at one point, policy isn't spelled right, there are capitalization issues, and like someone else said it's so short and vague it looks like a text.

When I receive such e-mails to my work account, I don't answer them as they look suspicious.

Is it really that difficult to draft a profession-looking e-mail? You want a serious answer so be serious in your question. You're not going to get a response this way and you're acting as though a lack of a response means this Jan person is hiding something which is just weird thinking.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wanderer wrote:People who have lived in Kelowna for several years and remember the Capri area before Inn From The Cold set up shop should make a visit to see how the area has changed. IFTC may have patrols and clean around their building but the vagrants they house at night are just out of IFTC boundaries during the day. They are now in the neighbourhood, behind buildings, by the creek, in the bushes, in the parks in that area and they don't really care about picking up their garbage, or toilet facilities, or care that they leave needles and drug accessories in those areas. Neighbourhoods shouldn't have to bear the burden of those people who IFTC service. It's blatantly obvious why any neighbourhood would not want IFTC around them.

100% correct...........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[qute="bjsilent"]
alanjh595 wrote:IFTC was closing last March too. This has become an annual thing.

The Chandler House funding of $66,000 was discontinued as of March 31st, 2017.

“We’ve done everything we can to stretch our dollars, but this is a significant loss of funding to our already limited budget,” said Schulz.

Schulz says IFTC is searching for an alternative permanent housing location. During the month of June, the IFTC crew will be cleaning up and peforming minor repairs to the Chandler House before handing over the keys to the landlord.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... r-to-close

Chandler House on Hwy 97 and Chandler St was where their offices were before losing funding. Residents in the area experienced nothing but problems and theft while IFTC operated out of that building. Lots of transients and junkies would hang out there cause they had a drop in center located in the building. Dollartree next to it and Dollarama across the highway had their handsful trying to combat theft.[/quote]

one of my friends lives a block from there, the whole area went to poop, when they opened that building and the whole area got better after they closed it
Last edited by the truth on Oct 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

they shouldn't get a bed until they do some "chores".. like cleaning up their own filth, and the needles and junk in their friendly neighbors yard.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

pieinthei wrote:they shouldn't get a bed until they do some "chores".. like cleaning up their own filth, and the needles and junk in their friendly neighbors yard.

Are you kidding? That would be forced labour in exchange for a bed. How would someone be judged as to completing the assigned chore? By the weight and/or volume of the collected filth?
My gawd, that is one step away from working on a prison chain gang........

At least, that is the way some SJW will portray it in about........10-9-8-7-6-5-4.........wait for it..........
Bring back the LIKE button.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The work crew idea and being responsible for yourselves is a good idea, one which they should have implemented themselves years ago.

I get the homeless piece but being homeless doesn't mean yo u have to be a disgusting pig and sadly, that is the case wherever they gather.

I have stated before that I worked with a lot of these folks years ago and worked with the GM trying to come up with ways to help some of them achieve a bed even if it was only for a night or two.

It bothers me that they don't seem to have a problem with the mess they create or the hazards they create. Many seem to think it's funny knowing that they make people uncomfortable.

A work program attached to meals and beds would at least see the garbage being picked up and the area left in a reasonable state. They don't have to like it. They just have to do it. It also gives them something to do beyond taking up space on sidewalks and such.

Interfering with businesses needs to be dealt with by the police.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

a whole bunch more words, but yes!
hmm.. but jail sounds like a good plan too.. probably cost less to taxpayers
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

i feel badly we talking about the homeless like they lesser being but
does not seem like they are true homeless but petty skids
they made it so the truly homeless become faceless to us
clean it up, let's help those who need helping

Return to “Central Okanagan”