Is this the end of Inn from the Cold?

Re: Is this the end of Inn from the Cold?

Postby bjsilent » Jan 2nd, 2019, 4:50 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Can anyone verify if IFTC is/isn’t providing services to clients as of today?

I went by there this morning on my way to work and there was a few people loitering around the front door and cars ( probably staff ) parked in front.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Liked in: 478 posts

Postby Green-light » Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:32 pm

bob vernon wrote:Everybody complains about "these people". Yes, they're a problem. What's your solution?

There's only one solution for the mental health issues we see in today's world.
Everything from gender dysphoria, too many "filias" I can't "identify", and addiction becoming such a norm that it is now commonplace, we must reopen mental institutions. There is no other or better solution.

We must reopen mental institutions.

capleton wrote:There's been homeless people since civilization began, get used to it.

Being nomadic does not equate to modern-day homelessness. I have no issue with somebody that wants to live off the land hunting, gathering and relying on their abilities and nature for sustenance.
Crapping on doorsteps, hiding needles in playground areas, all the while holding your hand out inreach for alms for the poor does not equate to the same thing.
Just a few short years ago, I was supportive of these supposed nonprofit organizations helping the helpless.
Now, after just a few short years of living in the same neighborhood as these establishments, I am no longer a supporter.
These kinds of organizations have put me back in time. I've personally gone back to the belief that we need to put them all on an island. That's how fed up I am. I'm tired of my personal property being damaged or stolen. My wife and I no longer have door locks on our cars that don't look compromised. Every one of them has been Twisted out by a screwdriver trying to break in to steal our belongings. Aside from that, I've had my livelihood stolen from me a few times. The last time was crippling. Still haven't recovered. Tell me I am on justified in yearning for Louisville Slugger Justice.

There are a lot of people out there that need to be institutionalized. Our government needs to stop throwing money away so they can use it in productive manners, like reopening mental institutions.

If somebody out there thinks they have a better idea, I'd love to hear it or read it.
Until then, I stand firm on my opinion.
They need to be institutionalized, to protect them from me.

5 people like this post.
Green-light
Fledgling

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby Giardinera1 » Jan 4th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Green-light wrote: We must reopen mental institutions.

Yeah, those mental institutions of yore worked SUPER well, and resulted in no serial Killers at all...
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Jan 4th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Giardinera1 wrote:
Yeah, those mental institutions of yore worked SUPER well, and resulted in no serial Killers at all...

What are you even talking about ?

Are you under some impression that mental institutions are only useful when 100% effective.
Or the mentally ill are better off on the streets?

What an odd post.

Sarcasm is a tool for the weak.

mexi cali likes this post.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3353 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 4th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Green-light wrote:If somebody out there thinks they have a better idea, I'd love to hear it or read it.

Maybe rethink what caused deinstitutionalization to start with. Those reasons are still valid today.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7557 posts

Postby Green-light » Jan 4th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Giardinera1 wrote:
Green-light wrote: We must reopen mental institutions.

I have not spoken as though the institutions of padt were a pinnacle of success.
I will claim that they worked better to protect the greater public than the absolute nothing we see being utilized today.

I'm going to leave you with the same reminder I intend to leave for "Fancy".
If somebody out there thinks they have a better idea, I'd love to hear it or read it.

I'd also like to encourage you both to suggest a better solution, or perhaps justify your stance in support of sticking to the status quo.

mexi cali likes this post.
Green-light
Fledgling

Postby Green-light » Jan 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Fancy wrote:Maybe rethink what caused deinstitutionalization to start with. Those reasons are still valid today.

Green-light wrote:If somebody out there thinks they have a better idea, I'd love to hear it or read it.

I've thought about, and rethought about solutions as well as mistakes and failures from the past.
I've made no mention of or insinuation of wanting to utilize the same archaic system as we've walked away from without alternatives put in place.
Try not to bait or gaslight.
I'm sensitive to narcisistic patterns of behavior.
Green-light
Fledgling

Postby Fancy » Jan 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

What do you think caused deinstitutionalization? You didn't mention it.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7557 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 5th, 2019, 10:56 pm

I just drove past the IFTC building on Sutherland an hour ago & it looks to be providing services to clients ?

Nary a chirp in our news about how it's being allowed to remain open even though their lease expired December 31st. or were they quietly given another extension ?

the truth likes this post.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 402 posts

Postby Scrobins94 » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:15 am

Gonna guess they got another extension. Castanet is probably low on staff for news coverage due to the holidays. Wouldn't be surprised. Every year they slack off around the holiday season. I also predicted that once IFTC got that extension past the original October 31st deadline that they'd probably just get extensions all through to the spring. It's gonna suck because once spring hits again all the transient people will be visiting Kelowna once again. 2018 was by far the worst year for homeless, transients, junkies that I've ever seen. So much that I even had firsthand experience being assaulted in Downtown. I suspect 2019 might be even worse. Let's hope not. There is some hope if we continue the work on the Journey Home strategy.
Scrobins94
Board Meister

Liked in: 395 posts

Postby bjsilent » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:24 am

Scrobins94 wrote:Gonna guess they got another extension. Castanet is probably low on staff for news coverage due to the holidays. Wouldn't be surprised. Every year they slack off around the holiday season. I also predicted that once IFTC got that extension past the original October 31st deadline that they'd probably just get extensions all through to the spring. It's gonna suck because once spring hits again all the transient people will be visiting Kelowna once again. 2018 was by far the worst year for homeless, transients, junkies that I've ever seen. So much that I even had firsthand experience being assaulted in Downtown. I suspect 2019 might be even worse. Let's hope not. There is some hope if we continue the work on the Journey Home strategy.

That or they refuse to leave!!!

the truth likes this post.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Postby the truth » Jan 7th, 2019, 10:39 am

why would they , they go across the street to steal from capri mall independent and run back across the street to hide what a great setup :swear:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7322 posts

Postby Mark1111 » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:55 am

Scrobins94 wrote:Gonna guess they got another extension. Castanet is probably low on staff for news coverage due to the holidays. Wouldn't be surprised. Every year they slack off around the holiday season. I also predicted that once IFTC got that extension past the original October 31st deadline that they'd probably just get extensions all through to the spring. It's gonna suck because once spring hits again all the transient people will be visiting Kelowna once again. 2018 was by far the worst year for homeless, transients, junkies that I've ever seen. So much that I even had firsthand experience being assaulted in Downtown. I suspect 2019 might be even worse. Let's hope not. There is some hope if we continue the work on the Journey Home strategy.

Yup another 3 week extension I heard this morning. I think you're right...this will drag on until the Spring because no one has the will to pull the trigger here. And yes it will almost certainly get much worst this year.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln

2 people like this post.
Mark1111
Fledgling

Liked in: 359 posts

Postby bjsilent » Jan 7th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Mark1111 wrote:

Yup another 3 week extension I heard this morning. I think you're right...this will drag on until the Spring because no one has the will to pull the trigger here. And yes it will almost certainly get much worst this year.

Joy!!! Three more weeks of them terrorizing the neighbourhood.

2 people like this post.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 7th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Speak to any quality psychotherapist, fitness trainer, nutritionist, financial advisor, organizational consultant, or AA sponsor—anyone in the change business—and they will tell you that the chief complaint of those trying to change their ways is, "Why does it have to take so long?" And the answer is: it just does. There are no shortcuts. Quick and easy may be appealing, but slow and steady win the race.
I think that one of the reasons why lasting change takes so much time is that there is an enormous pressure in the human psyche to maintain the status quo. The mind is like a rubber band; you can easily stretch it temporarily, but it snaps back to its resting position. We resist change.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4378 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan