COG - should it stay or go

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: COG - should it stay or go

Post by Urban Cowboy »

cv23 wrote:
OKkayak wrote:Will it have a profound effect on the economy? Nope, but it will have an effect on businesses none the less. No matter how you look at it, it is a loss of tourist dollars from people who come exclusively for that event.

Some seem to think that COG has existed forever while fact is it barely made 10 years so in reality is a relative newcomer to Kelowna and that COG is in some way a savior to local business which it most certainly isn't.
Kelowna can only accommodate so many tourists at one time. So just like every year before COG existed this year the town will once again be FULL of tourists who come to town not for COG but to simply spend their tourist dollars on that summer weekend, maybe even more tourists now that families will come again rather than shy away from the shiteshow Kelowna has become on COG weekend.
The only "businesses" who might be effected are the ladies on the downtown street corners and those vendors riding about on their little bicycles flogging their "wares". All the legitimate local businesses will see just another busy summer weekend in Kelowna just as they did in the past prior to COG and will in the future, with or without COG.

That really tends to come off quite derogatory, not to mention insulting, to those who at least are trying to survive without resorting to B&E's, despite the fact they don't fit your idea of a "legitimate" business.

Hope you're wearing a hardhat so you have some protection, when you fall off that high horse. :swear:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, if I learned you were one of the types to thank, for regatta being but a blip in local history as well.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

I'm glad to see it go, hopefully it doesn't return at all in 2020. Now, before you assume I'm some old fossil who yells at the kids "Get off my lawn!", let me say I have attended COG twice. I went in 2015 for the whole weekend, and on the Saturday last year to see Wu-Tang. I am slightly outside the typical age demographic to attend, but did so anyways as I am quite youthful. A few of my friends went as well both times. Overall I wasn't impressed. Too many 13 year old flails, coked up roid monkeys trying to flex, and people who cannot hold their liquor. I wanted to enjoy all the girls in skimpy outfits, but a good portion were obviously underage, so thats not good! Kelowna can do better for a summer festival!

Don't cry that its over, smile that it happened.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:That really tends to come off quite derogatory, not to mention insulting, to those who at least are trying to survive without resorting to B&E's, despite the fact they don't fit your idea of a "legitimate" business.

If your source of income is not illegal in nature it is "legitimate". Only those who are part of illegal/criminal enterprises should be insulted so as they say "If the shoe fits".

Urban Cowboy wrote:Hope you're wearing a hardhat so you have some protection, when you fall off that high horse.

Now I'm an equestrian? Why? Because I pointed out that COG is not as big a contributor the local economy as some seem to believe? That I pointed out Kelowna hotels, restaurants and other businesses will be just as busy on a July weekend with or without COG? Or maybe that I pointed out that by COG's own admission they have lost money each of the last few years?

Urban Cowboy wrote:Wouldn't surprise me in the least, if I learned you were one of the types to thank, for regatta being but a blip in local history as well.

Many of the very same types that led to the end of Regatta in Kelowna are the same who attended Wakefest and then COG. It is actually that group/type we have to thank for losing our local celebration after an 81 year run.
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

"The same types" is true. In Ktown it has been kind of free for all where security is lacking and costs and organizational issues just cry out for civil misfits to act out.
One can always reason with reason.
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

There is another cost to all of this just ask hotel owners how many of their rooms get trashed on the COG weekend lol. IMHO it is still the few who ruin it for the most. Look at Vancouver a few years back, a few blocks were partially destroyed by an unruly mob, BAN HOCKEY GAMES! See how that works, can't cherry pick just for your personal opinions. If you have a problem with COG go camping that weekend or stay at home, it's only a couple of days. Back in the days when I was young the very reason we drank and did drugs is because this city had nothing to offer young people. Idle hands usually get up to no good. They chased us out of our dirtbiking areas, closed the boardwalk and removed or policed the legitimate fun we used to have out of existence. Same dried up old dinosaurs whining and banning things that created a lot of the mess we have today. Every event that attracts lots of the younger crowd is bound to have some issues, that's life. Young people for the most part lack the wisdom that comes from making mistakes, but those that survive them will eventually posse it. I swear half the people in this town want to have a thick foam padding on every aspect of our lives, you need some thicker skin folks. If you remove the few events and activities that young people have in this town, you are just going to open another can of worms. That can could potentially bring far bigger problems than a couple day event. We need more things for the young people to do in this town not less.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

big whoop de doo...bring back the Regatta, and make it entertaining for all ages...young and old..
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Ktown girl wrote:DEF .,. LET IT BE GONE
why not bring in some goooood festivals like they do in Vancouver or on the island..they have soooo much going on... Kelowna is terrible from bringing in good clean events and festivals of fun

Get rid of the events that bring in drugs, alcohol partiers that ruin it for everyone else...why cannot Kelowna bring something like Peachfest here......That is sad....this town has nothing for everyone.
Policing has to improve.....
Get the partiers out of here.....and have some good clean fun....for all ages.

I'v been to Peach Fest. it's a pretty good party.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

tantor wrote:There is another cost to all of this just ask hotel owners how many of their rooms get trashed on the COG weekend lol. IMHO it is still the few who ruin it for the most. Look at Vancouver a few years back, a few blocks were partially destroyed by an unruly mob, BAN HOCKEY GAMES! See how that works, can't cherry pick just for your personal opinions. If you have a problem with COG go camping that weekend or stay at home, it's only a couple of days. Back in the days when I was young the very reason we drank and did drugs is because this city had nothing to offer young people. Idle hands usually get up to no good. They chased us out of our dirtbiking areas, closed the boardwalk and removed or policed the legitimate fun we used to have out of existence. Same dried up old dinosaurs whining and banning things that created a lot of the mess we have today. Every event that attracts lots of the younger crowd is bound to have some issues, that's life. Young people for the most part lack the wisdom that comes from making mistakes, but those that survive them will eventually posse it. I swear half the people in this town want to have a thick foam padding on every aspect of our lives, you need some thicker skin folks. If you remove the few events and activities that young people have in this town, you are just going to open another can of worms. That can could potentially bring far bigger problems than a couple day event. We need more things for the young people to do in this town not less.

funny you say that, just talked to the GM at the Zed and they had no major issues. Good weekend made money.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

indeed and drug dealers from bc and albeta also show up for this drug fueled even.there is a reason why the drug gang unit task force from vancouver is there during COG
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Post by Giardinera1 »

WalterWhite wrote: Do extra funds get set aside for health care requirements, I don't know. Maybe that's something organizers should be asked to consider so that additional staffing at KGH can be implemented and save some of those unable to cope with the increased workload and accompanying stress from considering quitting or dumping on easily triggered spouses from losing their cool on forums such as these over the slightest disagreement with their stated opinions - and that of others....

No considerations are made to cover the additional costs to the Province and Health Authority of unruly weekend events. There is a real disconnect between City decisions that have adverse impacts on provincial pots of money. Is the hospital thrown into Apocalyptic chaos? Of course not. We assess data Re: patient volumes on certain weekends, and pay extra to make sure there is coverage. We invest in all sorts of initiatives to make sure the ER is staffed extra when we know volumes will be higher like during COG. I see the data Re: Volumes & Costs are there is an undeniable high cost to health care budgets of this event. Those funds come from Tax Payers, so you can argue, if the majority of tax payers are cool with paying extra to have events like this (ie, certain business owners) than it is what it is. But when I then read letters of people complaining about surgery wait times, or under staffed primary care clinics, I have to wonder if people understood the full picture, would they really think critical emergencies due to stupidity is an ideal use of funds? Blowing our contingency wad over a few fun weekends cuts incrementally into funding like recruitment to attract Primary Care GPs, caring for the damn parking lots everyone thinks should magically be free, attracting temporary doctors, subsidizing new Grad Students, etc etc. yes, the City and private businesses gain revenues... but this doesn't trickle down into the public pot necessarily. I personally do not benefit financially from COG, so I don't know why I would support a weekend where I can't walk around my own neighbourhood without being harassed by young drunk guys, and have to clean condoms and bottles out of my yard in the morning. I've even found half naked dudes passed out in my yard because they "thought it was a park". I would so much rather have something like the Folk Fest in Edmonton, or Jazz Fest in Montreal. Still profitable, but something more mellow I would actually want to go to. Would health care costs go down? Maybe! Because look at Break Out West, which is a very popular music weekend with zero OD's, zero incidents, no impact on ER visits. Still widely attended, but attracts different behaviour, different crowd. Part of the success is due to the fact the venues are mainly in bars, so they benefit from sales, but have their own security to control crowds better. Stuff like COG, Shambala, doesn't belong in the heart of a city- Go do it in the boonies.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Giardinera1 wrote:Because look at Break Out West, which is a very popular music weekend with zero OD's, zero incidents, no impact on ER visits. Still widely attended, but attracts different behaviour, different crowd. Part of the success is due to the fact the venues are mainly in bars, so they benefit from sales, but have their own security to control crowds better. Stuff like COG, Shambala, doesn't belong in the heart of a city- Go do it in the boonies.

Agreed. Breakout West was a huge success! Can we have Keloha back in 2020 instead of COG?
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
Gisley

Post by Gisley »

Didn't the Ontario version of COG fail last year as well? What's up with that?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

sublime wrote:
Agreed. Breakout West was a huge success! Can we have Keloha back in 2020 instead of COG?

I loved Keloha and was sad to see it go...that's one that couldn't make money from the get-go though.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

bring back thunderfest
Bikes

Post by Bikes »

I hate cog.
It makes the city I pay for unavailable to me for a weekend just so a chosen inside few can make some money off of kids.
I have to deal with angry cops when going to protect my downtown property from destruction and vandalism. I have to clean up the mess or I get in trouble. I have to to pressure wash buckets of *bleep* off of the front doors every year. It is an added tax and inconvenience I have to suffer so someone else can pimp our town and make a buck.

The whole theme and image is not what Kelowna needs to be promoting.
Bring back the Regatta. With fun for families, kids and adults alike. Showcasing the lake lifestyle, refreshments, food, entertainment for all ages and music throughout.
Involve all the whole valley and all its offerings.
From the top of the mountain to the lake itself, let everyone be involved.
Kelowna has a heart....let it beat.
Let it express itself.

Return to “Central Okanagan”