Homeless house strikes fear

Homeless house strikes fear

Postby CapitalB » Oct 3rd, 2018, 9:34 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... rikes-fear

"All of us believe homelessness is a problem here, but there has to be a better solution than our backyard,”

Well these sort of places are going to have to go in someones back yard.

Also I've known a number of people that have worked worked in various government placement programs to help people get off the street. They always put applicants through a serious vetting process to try and make sure that they house people that want to turn their life around. The government obviously doesn't want to make a subsidized crack house.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

5 people like this post.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 558 posts

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby bjsilent » Oct 3rd, 2018, 9:53 am

BC Housing and The John Howard Society dont give a rats :swear: what the neighbours think! They wont do any consulting, build it and they will come. Its all about money money money. When VCC made it known they were going to move because of the problems with Cornerstone the executive director of JHS ( Gaelene Askeland) didnt seem to care at all. Whenever you see this :cuss: on the news its all about the JHS and peoples concerns dont matter.
Last edited by ferri on Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.

3 people like this post.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Liked in: 478 posts

Postby JayByrd » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:04 am

You can have a Supportive Housing development in your back yard, or you can have the homeless literally in your back yard. They're not going away.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

7 people like this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1578 posts

Postby Scrobins94 » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am

If anything putting it in there is the ideal location. Lots of people to keep an eye on any activities that are negative. Decentralize them so it's not a single hotspot for drug dealers to do their business. Unfortunately someone will always get negatively affected, but housing first is part of the to the homelessness crisis nationwide.

Yes there may be some bad apples but not all homeless people are bad.

Rutland actually got an addiction recovering housing (Freedom's Door), so this project is actually less "bad".

2 people like this post.
Scrobins94
Board Meister

Liked in: 392 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:16 am

Scrobins94 wrote:Rutland actually got an addiction recovering housing (Freedom's Door), so this project is actually less "bad".

That's not happening. They lost their funding and can't go ahead.
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Postby Scrobins94 » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am

Bsuds wrote:
Scrobins94 wrote:Rutland actually got an addiction recovering housing (Freedom's Door), so this project is actually less "bad".

That's not happening. They lost their funding and can't go ahead.

Really? Can you share your source? I never heard about that. I drive by it almost every day and I see new fencing surrounding the Knights of Columbus property???
Scrobins94
Board Meister

Liked in: 392 posts

Postby one wheel » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:35 am

I wish I could believe that a screening process is in place to help those that truly want to get off the street, that would be wonderful. However if this homeless house is bound by overriding regulations that require them to accept -"just a few druggies" the whole idea goes south & causes the neighbours to object because of seeing the results of places such as IFTC.

I'd love to see a home built that gives people hope & gets them up & off the street.

I don't trust our Government or these so called experts to follow thru with what they try to make us believe anymore ?

3 people like this post.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 401 posts

Postby TMBOkanagan » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:45 am

"The concern is over this vacant lot right here... which in the future could be home to over 50 homeless people".

If you give them a home, they're not homeless people anymore, they're just people.

5 people like this post.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby dudemeiser » Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:54 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 7th, 2019, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post duplications of threads and/or posts..

4 people like this post.
dudemeiser

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 3rd, 2018, 11:45 am

Scrobins94 wrote:Really? Can you share your source? I never heard about that. I drive by it almost every day and I see new fencing surrounding the Knights of Columbus property???

See this thread - page 43 - there's a news item regarding the lack of funding.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72311&start=645
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7552 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 3rd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Scrobins94 wrote:Really? Can you share your source? I never heard about that. I drive by it almost every day and I see new fencing surrounding the Knights of Columbus property???

I found it on another local news site and Castanets rules do not allow me to provide a link. It was easily found with Google.
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Postby JayByrd » Oct 3rd, 2018, 12:50 pm

Scrobins94 wrote:
Really? Can you share your source? I never heard about that. I drive by it almost every day and I see new fencing surrounding the Knights of Columbus property???

The fencing is because the KoC hall has ceased operations.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1578 posts

Postby Danielson99 » Oct 4th, 2018, 3:00 am

Scrobins94 wrote:If anything putting it in there is the ideal location. Lots of people to keep an eye on any activities that are negative. Decentralize them so it's not a single hotspot for drug dealers to do their business. Unfortunately someone will always get negatively affected, but housing first is part of the to the homelessness crisis nationwide.

Yes there may be some bad apples but not all homeless people are bad.

Rutland actually got an addiction recovering housing (Freedom's Door), so this project is actually less "bad".

I understand your thinking and on paper it makes sense. It's exactly how the Government thinks to be honest. Unfortunately that's not how things work with the homeless. Many of them will not live scattered across the city in different homes because they live a lifestyle that is contingent on being together. They feed off each other, they network better than some business executives and I am positive that a large percentage would rather live on the streets together than live divided in separate homes across the city.

Solving homelessness has nothing to do with finding them a home, it has to do with helping them want to actually live in one.

rruppel likes this post.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Liked in: 369 posts

Postby vinnied » Oct 4th, 2018, 4:39 pm

JayByrd wrote:The fencing is because the KoC hall has ceased operations.

there is a company sign up on that fencing now. cant remember the name but its something about another quality project by so and so. My guess is funding was secured somehow.
vinnied
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 891 posts

Postby wanderer » Oct 5th, 2018, 10:43 am

Moved comment to the Freedom's Door Topic: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72311&start=645
wanderer
Board Meister

Liked in: 515 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan