Homeless house strikes fear

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Grandan wrote:
the truth wrote:the only thing many are engaged in, is criminal activity to buy there next high and that's a fact, most if not all had a home at one time and still became junkies, so saying give them a place to stay and they will get better is just not reality

Sounds like you know most of them, friends?


What’s next, more schoolyard taunts like “I know you are, but what am I?”
Then comes the whining about not respecting what you have to say, but what do you expect with petty, jeuvenile taunts and retorts like this? Add something constructive and intelligent to the discussion.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3005
Likes: 2295 posts
Liked in: 4214 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby spooker » Jan 20th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Fancy wrote:Cardington Apartments has approximately 82% of their residents struggling with substance misuse etc. I wouldn't think this complex would be any different.


Yes, Cardington does report 82% with substance abuse problems ... but then New Gate has 66% and the other two facilities JHS runs are for those that are able to stay dry ...

If you actually do the math with all the beds they run it shows that 55% of the people they helped from March 2016 through March 2017 had a substance problem ... that's 80 out of 143 people ...

And each facility they run has different requirements and staffing ...

Things come out differently when we look at the whole picture ... and who knows what the number are now almost 2 years later ... we just have to look around to see how quickly situations can shift ...

http://www.johnhowardbc.ca/files/59f39e8d-2c00-4ef7-bbbe-3afbd8b0b5a5.pdf
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1390
Likes: 1079 posts
Liked in: 823 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby Loki2u » Jan 20th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Grandan wrote:
the truth wrote:the only thing many are engaged in, is criminal activity to buy there next high and that's a fact, most if not all had a home at one time and still became junkies, so saying give them a place to stay and they will get better is just not reality

Sounds like you know most of them, friends?


WalterWhite wrote:What’s next, more schoolyard taunts like “I know you are, but what am I?”
Then comes the whining about not respecting what you have to say, but what do you expect with petty, jeuvenile taunts and retorts like this? Add something constructive and intelligent to the discussion.


Really? You're sticking up for the Truth?
What is with your posts lately? I used to enjoy your insightful commentary and take on subjects, now its like your trying to be the peoples champ of castanet. :135:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Loki2u
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 442 posts
Liked in: 440 posts
Joined: Aug 24th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby Fancy » Jan 20th, 2019, 10:54 pm

spooker wrote:Things come out differently when we look at the whole picture ..

"Things" didn't come out differently. No one is saying all homeless are drug addicts or alcoholics but a great many are and I don't see how this new building will be different being the same type of facility.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 48153
Likes: 1362 posts
Liked in: 7164 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby spooker » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:56 am

Fancy wrote:
spooker wrote:Things come out differently when we look at the whole picture ..

"Things" didn't come out differently. No one is saying all homeless are drug addicts or alcoholics but a great many are and I don't see how this new building will be different being the same type of facility.


55% is quite a bit different than 82% ... "Things" was my way of being indirect without getting my point removed by moderators because it looked personal ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

Scrobins94 likes this post.
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1390
Likes: 1079 posts
Liked in: 823 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby Fancy » Jan 21st, 2019, 6:25 am

I compared Cardington to the new facility as it seems the two are similar. It may be it won't have the high percentage but it most likely will have quite a few. Don't lose sight of the point being there will be those suffering from addiction and illness and that should not be ignored. Now make sure they are treated.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

WalterWhite likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 48153
Likes: 1362 posts
Liked in: 7164 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 21st, 2019, 11:33 am

Grandan wrote:
the truth wrote:the only thing many are engaged in, is criminal activity to buy there next high and that's a fact, most if not all had a home at one time and still became junkies, so saying give them a place to stay and they will get better is just not reality

Sounds like you know most of them, friends?


WalterWhite wrote:What’s next, more schoolyard taunts like “I know you are, but what am I?”
Then comes the whining about not respecting what you have to say, but what do you expect with petty, jeuvenile taunts and retorts like this? Add something constructive and intelligent to the discussion.


Loki2u wrote:Really? You're sticking up for the Truth?
What is with your posts lately? I used to enjoy your insightful commentary and take on subjects, now its like your trying to be the peoples champ of castanet. :135:


Lol - the people’s champ of Castanet. Can I get that added instead of the current title of “Grand Pooh Bah”? Sorry my comments of late haven’t been up to your liking. Even more sorry you don’t feel some opinions are worthy. For the record, I’m not, and don’t need to stick up for Truth’s opinion and frankly disagree with a lot of them. I will however respect their right to voice it despite the sort of hypocritical taunts pointed out previously.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3005
Likes: 2295 posts
Liked in: 4214 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby the truth » Jan 21st, 2019, 11:56 am

Grandan wrote:
the truth wrote:the only thing many are engaged in, is criminal activity to buy there next high and that's a fact, most if not all had a home at one time and still became junkies, so saying give them a place to stay and they will get better is just not reality

Sounds like you know most of them, friends?


no, but i have friends that work in the field and know for a fact that many of the people they are putting in these new buildings are criminal junkies and parolies , and john howard and city hall want to keep it quiet because of more public outrage , to bad there are no real journalists anymore looking for a real story out there
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16884
Likes: 11768 posts
Liked in: 6767 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby one wheel » Jan 21st, 2019, 1:57 pm

The addiction problem in BC has grown & I wonder how many new detox beds & new recovery programs have opened in the past two years to treat these people ?
Shouldn't the goal be to make people well & addiction free ? The direction I see the JHS taking us is to have everyone off the street & out of site ?
one wheel
Board Meister
 
Posts: 371
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 345 posts
Joined: Dec 9th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby pieinthei » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:11 pm

one wheel wrote:The addiction problem in BC has grown & I wonder how many new detox beds & new recovery programs have opened in the past two years to treat these people ?
Shouldn't the goal be to make people well & addiction free ? The direction I see the JHS taking us is to have everyone off the street & out of site ?


"out of site and out of mind" would be pretty good concept, as well as treatment . except while in these "facilities" they can come and go as they please.. terrorize whomever they want, and go back home to sleep it off, or do more while in their room.
pieinthei
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 504 posts
Liked in: 371 posts
Joined: Sep 11th, 2012, 10:53 am

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby pommiepainter » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:45 pm

I have a serious question on the Agassiz Rd facility. My apologies in advance if this been asked/answered already, and further apologies if I am over-simplifying this.

From my understanding a wet facility allows alcohol and drugs to be used on site, correct? Now when we talk about drugs, do we/they mean illegal hard drugs i.e. heroin, cocaine, etc.?? If this is case then the people living there have to get those drugs from somewhere, correct??

My question then becomes, how can it be ok for these type of drugs to be used in the facility???

I hope I'm wrong, because I can only see that area becoming a haven for drug dealers :-X Not a great group of people to have hanging around a residential area :200:

one wheel likes this post.
pommiepainter
 
Posts: 16
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:49 am

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby bjsilent » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm

pommiepainter wrote:I have a serious question on the Agassiz Rd facility. My apologies in advance if this been asked/answered already, and further apologies if I am over-simplifying this.

From my understanding a wet facility allows alcohol and drugs to be used on site, correct? Now when we talk about drugs, do we/they mean illegal hard drugs i.e. heroin, cocaine, etc.?? If this is case then the people living there have to get those drugs from somewhere, correct??

My question then becomes, how can it be ok for these type of drugs to be used in the facility???

I hope I'm wrong, because I can only see that area becoming a haven for drug dealers :-X Not a great group of people to have hanging around a residential area :200:

They are allowed to do cocaine,heroin etc etc while in the facility.

the truth likes this post.
bjsilent
Board Meister
 
Posts: 392
Likes: 120 posts
Liked in: 424 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2013, 9:34 am
Location: Kelowna

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby pieinthei » Jan 21st, 2019, 3:00 pm

pommiepainter wrote:I have a serious question on the Agassiz Rd facility. My apologies in advance if this been asked/answered already, and further apologies if I am over-simplifying this.

From my understanding a wet facility allows alcohol and drugs to be used on site, correct? Now when we talk about drugs, do we/they mean illegal hard drugs i.e. heroin, cocaine, etc.?? If this is case then the people living there have to get those drugs from somewhere, correct??

My question then becomes, how can it be ok for these type of drugs to be used in the facility???

I hope I'm wrong, because I can only see that area becoming a haven for drug dealers :-X Not a great group of people to have hanging around a residential area :200:


this is what this thread is all about.. the injustice to the community to be, and the ridiculousness of it all.. yes they can do any drug they want, supervised or not. they can go out and rob whoever they want, buy drugs from the dealers on the street, and go home (if they want) and get high with out fear of repercussion. its a safe haven for the blight of society. and they can hide in their brand new apartments if the world gets to hard on them, and do their drugs in these taxpayer funded havens.
sounds like a pretty good gig, doesn't it..

the truth likes this post.
pieinthei
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 504 posts
Liked in: 371 posts
Joined: Sep 11th, 2012, 10:53 am

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby WalterWhite » Jan 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm

pieinthei wrote:
pommiepainter wrote:I have a serious question on the Agassiz Rd facility. My apologies in advance if this been asked/answered already, and further apologies if I am over-simplifying this.

From my understanding a wet facility allows alcohol and drugs to be used on site, correct? Now when we talk about drugs, do we/they mean illegal hard drugs i.e. heroin, cocaine, etc.?? If this is case then the people living there have to get those drugs from somewhere, correct??

My question then becomes, how can it be ok for these type of drugs to be used in the facility???

I hope I'm wrong, because I can only see that area becoming a haven for drug dealers :-X Not a great group of people to have hanging around a residential area :200:


this is what this thread is all about.. the injustice to the community to be, and the ridiculousness of it all.. yes they can do any drug they want, supervised or not. they can go out and rob whoever they want, buy drugs from the dealers on the street, and go home (if they want) and get high with out fear of repercussion. its a safe haven for the blight of society. and they can hide in their brand new apartments if the world gets to hard on them, and do their drugs in these taxpayer funded havens.
sounds like a pretty good gig, doesn't it..


- and yet there are some that claim it’s not only their right but also our obligation as a society to provide shelter and a safe haven for them - all the while those providing this sanctuary see their own quality of life diminish at an accelerating pace directly due to the effects of those for whom they were forced into providing said care. Asking for some form of commitment to treatment and an eventual means of self-sustaining them selves on the road to sobriety however labels those hoping for these most common-sense expectations as bigots, having no compassion for our fellow human beings. What. A. Crock.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*

2 people like this post.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3005
Likes: 2295 posts
Liked in: 4214 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Postby pieinthei » Jan 21st, 2019, 3:54 pm

WalterWhite wrote:- and yet there are some that claim it’s not only their right but also our obligation as a society to provide shelter and a safe haven for them - all the while those providing this sanctuary see their own quality of life diminish at an accelerating pace directly due to the effects of those for whom they were forced into providing said care. Asking for some form of commitment to treatment and an eventual means of self-sustaining them selves on the road to sobriety however labels those hoping for these most common-sense expectations as bigots, having no compassion for our fellow human beings. What. A. Crock.


ya.. that too.

the truth likes this post.
pieinthei
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 504 posts
Liked in: 371 posts
Joined: Sep 11th, 2012, 10:53 am

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], TreeGuy and 10 guests