Homeless house strikes fear

Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Homeless house strikes fear

Post by Loki2u »

WalterWhite wrote:
That's been my whole point from the beginning of these discussions Loki2u, for which I've received my fair share of hate mail. Everyone's jumping on the "housing first" strategy - without dealing with the root cause of what created the homeless situations in the first place - the addictions. Sure, everyone needs a roof - I've stated I'm in agreement with that numerous times. What I don't agree with and have stated ad-infinitum is housing with wet conditions. It simply does nothing to solve the root cause of the issue, and groups like JHS are profiting heavily with these very lucrative contract arrangements with BC Housing on the taxpayers dime popping up province-wide in numerous locations.

Are they though?

I honestly don't know. I'm well aware of JHS and their mandate and vision and what they do, but I haven't researched their financial statements or profits.
They are a non-profit society, so how much could they really be making? :135:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Why is it that groups like JHS & BC HOUSING who push to have the homeless shelters built absolutely refuse to talk about the truth ?
It's like a broken record listening to these so called experts claim how these individuals need access to programs so they can get cleaned up & become addiction free & then allow the ongoing use of illegal drugs ?
Mixing those who are trying to recover with hard core drug users is insane, it won't work ?

I believe big money took over & making people addiction free has become the last thing on their minds, it's $$$$ now.

To think I voted for 2 of these Council Members, what was I thinking ?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I birn quil I se
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Look at it this way - given the same amount of funding (it's all from the taxpayer) after completion, which project do you think would have more funds available for programs and necessities for their clients?

missionflats (2).jpg

agassiz_p3354407.jpg
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I like the one on the bottom better. The first one looks like a warehouse.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

one wheel wrote:Why is it that groups like JHS & BC HOUSING who push to have the homeless shelters built absolutely refuse to talk about the truth ?
It's like a broken record listening to these so called experts claim how these individuals need access to programs so they can get cleaned up & become addiction free & then allow the ongoing use of illegal drugs ?
Mixing those who are trying to recover with hard core drug users is insane, it won't work ?

I believe big money took over & making people addiction free has become the last thing on their minds, it's $$$$ now.

To think I voted for 2 of these Council Members, what was I thinking ?

100% correct..................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Scrobins94 wrote:I like the one on the bottom better. The first one looks like a warehouse.

If you read Walter White's comment he's asking, based on the "curb appeal" I assume:

" which project do you think would have more funds available for programs and necessities for their clients?"

We have to use our taxpayer's money to keep the drug addicts housed etc whether they contribute anything to their plight or not, such as trying to end their addictions, but I think if there are no treatments included to end their addictions it's only a bandaid so it will keep costing us millions with no end in sight.

If we are obligated by our CURRENT government to assist the addicts to continue with their chosen addictions, I would rather it looks plain like the first one and have money leftover to provide cessation services.

Also, it's a little annoying when I'm paying for addicts to live in a nicer place than I can afford to house myself!!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What's worse?
screen_shot_2019-02-02_at_9.19.14_am_p3368271.jpg

OR
missionflats (2).jpg
Bring back the LIKE button.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I respect your point of view, but being that it will be built in a residential neighborhood, I prefer it to look like a residence and not a warehouse.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I agree Scrobins...and since it is being built in a residential area, I prefer it to be a DRY Facility...

it really is mind boggling to know that treatment is last on our list for our youth and housing for those that continue to keep using is front and center..

talk about going backwards...
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Scrobins94 wrote:I respect your point of view, but being that it will be built in a residential neighborhood, I prefer it to look like a residence and not a warehouse.

wasn't that first one built in light industrial area? I think that's why it was designed to fit in with the surroundings.

If it's to be built in a residential area I agree it should look more like an apartment but that can be done without a lot of expense to the exterior (which SHOULD leave money for treatment programs). It never will, of course, because the voices behind things such as Journey Home are as narrow-minded and fixed-focused as they come. Pat the residents on the head, treat them like 5 years olds and let them do whatever their hearts desire......JUST KEEP THEM ALIVE. They refuse to discuss any agreement with the residents to enter any kind of rehab programs in order to get a home. That's where my support for these programs hits the floor, with a resounding thud I'm afraid.

I guess it's easier and quicker to move on that way. They can say "we did good, homing them" and leave the rest of the problem for some other group to try to get them rehab, or not. They don't have to worry about them anymore once they put a roof over their heads. It's easy to say unless the resident asks for rehab we aren't going to try to convince them. JUST KEEP THEM ALIVE...which is well and good but everyone has to do SOMETHING to help their own situation. If their addiction has left them mentally unable to do that then they are mentally unstable and need to be in a mental health facility, not a flipping WET DRUG HOUSE.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Exactly, pretty much says how clueless the people in charge are
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Addiction is considered an "illness", a "disease" - like diabetes for instance. At least, that's what the addiction support people want us to believe. If that's the case, why isn't it TREATED as such, ie with TREATMENTS??

How is it any different from any other illness that is seemingly more socially acceptable - at least that's the direction they want us to switch our thinking. Ok fine. You don't see anyone being stupid enough to suggest a diabetic be housed in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory? No, they are prescribed a treatment to put their blood sugar back into healthy limits, discouraged from eating sugar, arrangements are made to go to diabetic eating and food preparation classes, not enabled and handed help to eat more sugar, the very thing that could kill him. They have doctors appointments to check on their progress regularly to make sure they aren't back-sliding. Their blood is checked regularly. That's how they keep people with THOSE diseases alive. Staying in their lives and promoting better choices. Other diseases get pro-active treatments with a plan towards ridding the body of the disease as soon as possible. They DON'T get help to make it worse.

It doesn't matter what these wet facilities look like on the outside - it's all a big facade to disguise what's going on inside. If we can't see it happening that must mean it's dealt with....problem solved!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Scrobins94 wrote:I respect your point of view, but being that it will be built in a residential neighborhood, I prefer it to look like a residence and not a warehouse.

Thanks for proving the point that's been argued since the start - why is this sort of facility being built there in the first place? Again, look at this way:

You have $5M to put up a facility - do you spend 75% of your capital (again, let's not forget this is taxpayer's funding) on property (apparently purchased far above market value) in a nice area of town (despite overwhelming immediate resident's objections) and design an architecturally pleasing building - or, do you design and build modest accommodation in an affordable area leaving the bulk of your capital to afford the best treatment and services programs to help get your client's to a point of self-sustainability?

Clearly, you prefer style over substance, form over function.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

The Agassi rd location would be ok for a dry facility - just ok. Not, by far, the best location and council could easily do better, but it would be ok. We have a mediocre council so expect a mediocre solution. It makes far more sense to build a warehouse- like facility in the airport industrial area for example, for a wet facility. As mentioned earlier it already been done in Kamloops so we are hardly breaking new ground. WHY fight an uphill battle with an idea that is flawed in the first place. It’s just stupid.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln

Return to “Central Okanagan”