City Bylaw Giving Out Fines To Victims Of Crime

Nicolette_Fuller
Fledgling

City Bylaw Giving Out Fines To Victims Of Crime

Post by Nicolette_Fuller »

I live in a strata complex along HWY 33 and if you're not familiar with the area and the issues with vandalism I'll fill you in... if you have a fence that can get tagged there will be graffiti on it. It seems to be an ongoing issue as my complex's fence has been vandalized a number of times, in fact we just had it painted in September, the fresh paint lasted a weekend before there was another tag on it. Last night the bylaw visited our unit (lucky number 1) and stated that if the fence was not painted in 15 days the complex would receive a $500 fine. My husband asked why suddenly there was an issue as it always has graffiti on it, the reply was there was a complaint called into the city about it. Well for those of you who deal with strata know when something like this happens you have to set up a meeting, discuss funds being taken out of contingency (again) and have it figured when and who is going to paint the fence. This has been done quite a few times already as not only have we had issues with graffiti but also people driving through this fence (the joys of living on HWY33.)

What I want to know is how does the city get off charging people who are low income and seniors a fine of $500 for graffiti! It's not like we're vandalizing the fence! Why is it that the vandals get a slap on the wrist and those who have to deal with their crimes can be fined $500 for not jumping on repainting a fence? Kinda feel like "we're asking for it because we live in Rutland." It really feels like crime is on the rise in our fair city and it's the do gooders that are the ones getting stuck with the bill while the criminals run free.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: City Bylaw Giving Out Fines To Victims Of Crime

Post by soupy »

Tell them that is how your strata painted the fence. Your strata all share the same taste in graffitti and tag work. :D
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Nothing new unfortunately. Why the sudden urge to hand out fines - because it’s easy and they use the pat excuse of”someone complained”. Nice. What a great way to really give a neighbor you don’t like some grief - graffiti their property then file a complaint.

Previously discussed here:
WalterWhite wrote:
wanderer wrote:I remember a couple of years ago. These bylaws guys in all their gear turned up at a senior lady's door, I think she was in her 80s and she lived alone. These guys turned up and scared the HECK out of her! Why ... she had graffiti on her fence! "Clean it up or the city would take further action." She was beside herself, probably not so much with what she had to do as with the intimidation tactics of bylaw's goons. I think it was her son who took it to the media for how over the top these bylaw guys acted, definitely making the senior feel like a criminal. How many other cases like this are out there that we don't hear about?

I remember that quite well - and didn't have to look far:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... res-granny

ETA: - and the forum topic on the matter:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64889&hilit=bylaw+threat+granny#p1943702
Nicolette_Fuller
Fledgling

my biggest problem is I could paint that fence every day and it wouldn't help. There's no winning this situation because it's continuous.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Nicolette_Fuller wrote:I live in a strata complex along HWY 33 and if you're not familiar with the area and the issues with vandalism I'll fill you in... if you have a fence that can get tagged there will be graffiti on it. It seems to be an ongoing issue as my complex's fence has been vandalized a number of times, in fact we just had it painted in September, the fresh paint lasted a weekend before there was another tag on it. Last night the bylaw visited our unit (lucky number 1) and stated that if the fence was not painted in 15 days the complex would receive a $500 fine. My husband asked why suddenly there was an issue as it always has graffiti on it, the reply was there was a complaint called into the city about it. Well for those of you who deal with strata know when something like this happens you have to set up a meeting, discuss funds being taken out of contingency (again) and have it figured when and who is going to paint the fence. This has been done quite a few times already as not only have we had issues with graffiti but also people driving through this fence (the joys of living on HWY33.)

What I want to know is how does the city get off charging people who are low income and seniors a fine of $500 for graffiti! It's not like we're vandalizing the fence! Why is it that the vandals get a slap on the wrist and those who have to deal with their crimes can be fined $500 for not jumping on repainting a fence? Kinda feel like "we're asking for it because we live in Rutland." It really feels like crime is on the rise in our fair city and it's the do gooders that are the ones getting stuck with the bill while the criminals run free.

Maybe you do not mind that your graffiti fence makes the neibourhood look like crap but other people do. If you do not want to pay the $500 fine then go out there with some paint and a roller and fix it yourself. Property upkeep comes with ownership.
Please do your part to be a good neibour and realize that your actions have consequences on those around you.
Last edited by Wave101 on Oct 3rd, 2018, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

soupy wrote:Tell them that is how your strata painted the fence. Your strata all share the same taste in graffitti and tag work. :D

Interesting approach actually. What if the strata did hire a group to graffiti the fence as an expression of urban art? Why is it ok for some forms of murals/graffiti to be acceptable and others not?

Not sure if this is allowed, but there's some great examples of graffiti being used to stop graffiti in Kelowna:

https://*bleep*.ca/newsitem/in-photos-k ... ti/it51166

If it's deleted (a ridiculous policy imho) just Google Kelowna approved graffiti art.

ETA: I see the powers that be took care of the link. Here's a couple of examples:

hd-mediaitemid51166-3363.jpg

The Rutland Convenience Store hired Lars Widell to paint a mural on a wall that was being targeted by taggers. He says it hasn't been touched since.

hd-mediaitemid51166-8684.jpg

Duggan Park on Bernard Avenue.

hd-mediaitemid51166-9452.jpg

Knox Mountain Market on Ellis Street.
Last edited by WalterWhite on Oct 3rd, 2018, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

Wave101 wrote:Maybe you do not mind that your graffiti fence makes the neibourhood looks like crap but other people do. If you do not want to pay the $500 fine then go out there with some paint and a roller and fix it yourself. Property upkeep comes with ownership.
Please do your part to be a good neibour and respect that your actions have consequences on those around you.

The fence was tagged within a couple of days of being painted. Do you expect a strata complex to paint a fence every three days? Get real.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Nah, all graffiti looks ugly. Even those murals meant to deter others from placing their own graffiti.

It's subjective, and some will even call it "art", but it all looks like sh*t to me.

You can make a chocolate cake out of poop, it's still poop in my opinion.

Just grab a roller and some of the leftover paint and cover it up. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes really.
Nicolette_Fuller
Fledgling

As I said I could paint the fence every day and it would still get tagged that night, since it faces the HWY nobody in this residence can see who is doing it. If graffiti was the only issue with this neighborhood we'd be walking on sunshine. Unfortunately there's just been an array of senseless vandalism in this area to all the complexes, homes, and fences in this neighborhood. I'm sure everyone is tired of repainting and fixing their property on a daily basis.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Nicolette_Fuller wrote:As I said I could paint the fence every day and it would still get tagged that night, since it faces the HWY nobody in this residence can see who is doing it. If graffiti was the only issue with this neighborhood we'd be walking on sunshine. Unfortunately there's just been an array of senseless vandalism in this area to all the complexes, homes, and fences in this neighborhood. I'm sure everyone is tired of repainting and fixing their property on a daily basis.

On a positive note - at least the city is providing military grade flak vests and close combat weaponry to bylaw to deliver their fines safely in your area. *end sarcasm*
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

OldBlindDog wrote:
Wave101 wrote:Maybe you do not mind that your graffiti fence makes the neibourhood looks like crap but other people do. If you do not want to pay the $500 fine then go out there with some paint and a roller and fix it yourself. Property upkeep comes with ownership.
Please do your part to be a good neibour and respect that your actions have consequences on those around you.

The fence was tagged within a couple of days of being painted. Do you expect a strata complex to paint a fence every three days? Get real.

You know that the more quickly you cover it over the less likely they are to tag it again? Because they will learn you will cover over it promptly so their "message" is essentially being wiped out.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Paint the fence than staple a couple signs to it saying " Smile Were Watching You"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are paints and/or coatings that graffiti can be washed off.
It's a bit more expensive but in the long run will be cheaper.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

You know that the more quickly you cover it over the less likely they are to tag it again?

Very true.
Paint it over immediately and keep painting it over whenever more appears.
In the end....the little *bleep* will move on knowing their "work" is wasted on that property.

Graffiti and vandalism just attracts more of the same.

I had a friend who owned a townhouse in a complex that backed on to 33.
Same problems. Waste of time waiting for a Strata council to get things done....take the initiative and fix the problem yourself.
Everyday if necessary. The strata *should* reimburse you for your time and costs (eventually).
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Calculator

Post by Calculator »

When you mow the lawn the grass grows back and you mow it again.
You just need to make paint a part of regular maintenance... it's not that difficult to wrap your brain around.
If you cannot afford $500 fines... buy some paint.
You are not going to be able to continually fight the city and try to get the bylaw changed for under $500.
Accept the reality.
Paint.
Move on.

Return to “Central Okanagan”