PSA - Lead acid battery disposal

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

PSA - Lead acid battery disposal

Post by TylerM4 »

Saw this article today about the closing of recycling collection facilities in Vernon which got me thinking.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#238172

Long story short - if you are dropping your lead-acid batteries off at these places for free recycling you're getting suckered. Lead has a high scrap value and there is a lot of lead in a lead-acid battery. Rather than bringing your old battery to one of these recyclers, bring it to a local metal recycler. They'll PAY you for your old batteries.

Last time I dropped off a couple of old batteries, Knox Mountain Metals was paying $0.50/pound. Car batteries weight 50lbs and up. I dropped off 2 car batteries and a large 6V RV battery and walked out of there with a little over $100.

Don't want to bother? Fear not, there's always someone who is willing to capitalize. Review the classifieds here on Castanet and you'll find people willing to come to your home, take the battery away, and pay you $10-$20 per battery while they're at it.

They're not interested in your old AAA's tho :(
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: PSA - Lead acid battery disposal

Post by Glacier »

But is there any place in the north Okanagan that takes lead acid batteries?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:But is there any place in the north Okanagan that takes lead acid batteries?

If they sell them then they charge you a core charge so they would have to take the old ones and give you the refund. (I would think)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

TylerM4 wrote:Saw this article today about the closing of recycling collection facilities in Vernon which got me thinking.

Long story short - if you are dropping your lead-acid batteries off at these places for free recycling you're getting suckered. Lead has a high scrap value and there is a lot of lead in a lead-acid battery. Rather than bringing your old battery to one of these recyclers, bring it to a local metal recycler. They'll PAY you for your old batteries.

Last time I dropped off a couple of old batteries, Knox Mountain Metals was paying $0.50/pound. Car batteries weight 50lbs and up. I dropped off 2 car batteries and a large 6V RV battery and walked out of there with a little over $100.

Don't want to bother? Fear not, there's always someone who is willing to capitalize. Review the classifieds here on Castanet and you'll find people willing to come to your home, take the battery away, and pay you $10-$20 per battery while they're at it.

good to know...thanks
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

TylerM4 wrote:Saw this article today about the closing of recycling collection facilities in Vernon which got me thinking.

Of course this begs the question what does a metal recycler going to do with the hazardous acid. Hopefully nothing stupid
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:

Of course this begs the question what does a metal recycler going to do with the hazardous acid. Hopefully nothing stupid

Probably use the same methods and procedures other recycling centers do.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Of course this begs the question what does a metal recycler going to do with the hazardous acid. Hopefully nothing stupid

WalterWhite wrote:Probably use the same methods and procedures other recycling centers do.

As long as it's not like that recycling site I believe was on Campion St. back in the 90s.
Ground contamination nightmare
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”