Long-term parking mess @ Kelowna Airport

drex1999
Board Meister

Re: Long-term parking mess @ Kelowna Airport

Post by drex1999 »

I used to take cabs to the airport UNTIL about a year ago landed around 12am on a winter Friday night and came outside to no cabs. They were all downtown at the bars. Luckily, I was the first one out and called cab companies where I was able to get one coming back from Winfield with a 15 minute wait in the cold. I have no idea how all the other people who lined up behind me were getting home. So screw that, I now take my vehicle rather than get stranded at an airport after a day of traveling
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

OKkayak wrote:
Catsumi wrote:I am happy for you that you have a solution. This gal lives a fair distance from limo service drop off point. I am looking at $100 for ONE way with taxi and limo. (Vernon)

Not this weekend, but Xmas travel

Obviously, its a pain in the butt and depending on your flight times, but the city bus from Vernon to UBCO stops off at the airport on the way back might be an option. Just a thought.

Doggone it....just learned something new. Thanks okayak.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Catsumi wrote:Holy Hannah!
Adding this also to trials and tribulations to catching your flight?

I am of course referring to the Catch-22'situation of someone driving you to and fro airport with the new ICBC penalty of using your own vehicle for drop off purposes.

We are hamstrung here.

For those who do not live near Kelowna airport it is becoming more and more of a headache to get out of town.

Why do I feel like I am being ganged up upon?

BTW thanks Sunny for heads up.

Sorry, this may be slightly off topic, but what are you referring to with this "ICBC catch 22"? I am using someone else's vehicle right now (ironically because they couldn't find parking at the airport this weekend) and I know ICBC is in the midst of introducing new rules, but are we breaking some new rule already in place that I'm not aware off? Thanks ...
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Go to B.C, then see New ICBC rules.

You won't like it, RV.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Catsumi wrote:Go to B.C, then see New ICBC rules.

You won't like it, RV.

Thanks Catsumi, I just did, and this is what I found: https://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Lending-a-Vehicle.aspx

The car is insured properly for how I'm using it and as far as I can tell these are the same rules that have been in place for quite some time now, with changes to come that if there was to be an accident in a borrowed vehicle that the "fault" now will stay with the driver rather than the vehicle, which make a lot more sense I think - What am I missing here??
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

RVThereYet wrote:Thanks Catsumi, I just did, and this is what I found: https://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Lending-a-Vehicle.aspx

The car is insured properly for how I'm using it and as far as I can tell these are the same rules that have been in place for quite some time now, with changes to come that if there was to be an accident in a borrowed vehicle that the "fault" now will stay with the driver rather than the vehicle, which make a lot more sense I think - What am I missing here??

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... 2019-rates

The “unlisted driver protection” fee is a little-known part of the overhaul at the Insurance Corp. of B.C. that government announced in August and will take effect in September, 2019.

The changes are touted as a way to pull the Crown insurance agency out of its financial crisis. But critics say the driver protection plan is one example of several rate hikes masquerading as hidden fees that most drivers will feel pressured to pay out of caution or confusion.

“If your vehicle is involved in a crash caused by an unlisted driver and you didn’t have the unlisted driver protection, there will be a financial consequence,” ICBC’s Adam Grossman said in a statement. “We need to ensure that the right incentives exist and, more importantly, that all drivers aren’t paying for the decisions that individuals make about who they lend their vehicle to.”

The $50 annual protection plan would apply to anyone who intends to lend their vehicle out fewer than 12 times a year to family members, friends, neighbours, acquaintances or co-workers — for example, if you lent someone your truck to help them move. If an owner doesn’t buy the extra protection, and then someone with a worse safety record than the owner crashes their vehicle, ICBC would hit the owner with a steep fine. Anyone who might drive that vehicle more than a dozen times in a year must be explicitly listed on the insurance and their driving record will be considered in calculating premiums.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Catsumi wrote:Doggone it....just learned something new. Thanks okayak.

Might not work for you, but give it a look see :up:
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

MalaPropina wrote:My family uses the airport shuttle frequently. You book in advance, I've never been late and it's cheaper than a cab.

Long weekend. You have to anticipate parking issues. It's not a new phenomenon.

I’ve flown at Christmas time to Ontario for nearly a decade, never come close to seeing this.

Usually at peak times there’s access to the overflow lot which was behind short term parking toward the highway. Except today this space wasn’t available for overflow.

I’m definitely not new to holiday travel, this just seemed exceptionally unprepared to other busy travel times.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Always Sunny wrote:[
I’ve flown at Christmas time to Ontario for nearly a decade, never come close to seeing this.

Usually at peak times there’s access to the overflow lot which was behind short term parking toward the highway. Except today this space wasn’t available for overflow.

I’m definitely not new to holiday travel, this just seemed exceptionally unprepared to other busy travel times.

Keep in mind, YLW is breaking records year after year.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

RVThereYet wrote:
Catsumi wrote:Holy Hannah!
Adding this also to trials and tribulations to catching your flight?

I am of course referring to the Catch-22'situation of someone driving you to and fro airport with the new ICBC penalty of using your own vehicle for drop off purposes.

We are hamstrung here.

For those who do not live near Kelowna airport it is becoming more and more of a headache to get out of town.

Why do I feel like I am being ganged up upon?

BTW thanks Sunny for heads up.

Sorry, this may be slightly off topic, but what are you referring to with this "ICBC catch 22"? I am using someone else's vehicle right now (ironically because they couldn't find parking at the airport this weekend) and I know ICBC is in the midst of introducing new rules, but are we breaking some new rule already in place that I'm not aware off? Thanks ...

RV, the owner of the vehicle you are driving right now may not be covered by insurance as you might not be named on policy. A real headache if you don't know who will be driving you to the airport....a one shot deal for me, first time ever. Confusion.

This discussion should be carried over to the BC thread

Unknown
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

OKkayak wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:Thanks Catsumi, I just did, and this is what I found: https://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Lending-a-Vehicle.aspx

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... 2019-rates

The “unlisted driver protection” fee is a little-known part of the overhaul at the Insurance Corp. of B.C. that government announced in August and will take effect in September, 2019.

The changes are touted as a way to pull the Crown insurance agency out of its financial crisis. But critics say the driver protection plan is one example of several rate hikes masquerading as hidden fees that most drivers will feel pressured to pay out of caution or confusion.

“If your vehicle is involved in a crash caused by an unlisted driver and you didn’t have the unlisted driver protection, there will be a financial consequence,” ICBC’s Adam Grossman said in a statement. “We need to ensure that the right incentives exist and, more importantly, that all drivers aren’t paying for the decisions that individuals make about who they lend their vehicle to.”

The $50 annual protection plan would apply to anyone who intends to lend their vehicle out fewer than 12 times a year to family members, friends, neighbours, acquaintances or co-workers — for example, if you lent someone your truck to help them move. If an owner doesn’t buy the extra protection, and then someone with a worse safety record than the owner crashes their vehicle, ICBC would hit the owner with a steep fine. Anyone who might drive that vehicle more than a dozen times in a year must be explicitly listed on the insurance and their driving record will be considered in calculating premiums.

Thanks everyone one for the feedback, but as OKkajak points out with the Vancouver Sun article above those changes are not yet in effect and are part of all the changes being proposed to come into effect next year (Sep. 2019). At this time, everything is status quo and, if I was in a (at fault) accident in my neighbours car after I drop him off at the airport, the fault of that claim would stay with the car rather than me, the driver who caused the accident. Apart from charging for “unlisted driver protection”, which sure seems like a ICBC cash grab, I actually agree with this proposal, it’s the driver that causes the accident, not the car, therefore it should be a drivers based system... the way the earlier posts are worded, it sounds like these changes had come into effect already, adding to my own confusion... thanks
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Aaaah! Sept 2019!

I also did not come across this magical date either.

This tidbit illustrates how a teapot tempest becomes a typhoon.

So, I am ok with getting (at this point) an unknown driver to ferry me back and forth without losing sleep.

Man, how I detest burocracy. Like fleas, I swear.

After this season I will not fly again, always drive myself (as I usually have) and do all I can to keep those suckers out of my wallet.

Wish they'd go after the high-end priced car crashes, drivers cannot speak or read english...rich kids with daddies in Asian countries. We've all seen this in News before, ad nauseum.

Unknown
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Catsumi wrote:Aaaah! Sept 2019!

I also did not come across this magical date either.

This tidbit illustrates how a teapot tempest becomes a typhoon.

So, I am ok with getting (at this point) an unknown driver to ferry me back and forth without losing sleep.

Man, how I detest burocracy. Like fleas, I swear.

After this season I will not fly again, always drive myself (as I usually have) and do all I can to keep those suckers out of my wallet.

Wish they'd go after the high-end priced car crashes, drivers cannot speak or read english...rich kids with daddies in Asian countries. We've all seen this in News before, ad nauseum.

Well, not quite maybe... By today's rules, if the person driving your car gets into an accident, it is your insurance that is on the hook going forward. The rates for their own insurance won't up, but yours will (or you at least lose your "accident forgiveness" get out of jail free card). After the new rules come into effect, it would the other drivers insurance that goes up because they caused the accident. Its called driver based vs.vehicle based. It actually makes sense to me... its the driver that causes the accident, not the vehicle.

But don't lose any sleep, these rules have been in place for many many years already...

These are todays rules around lending your car to someone else: https://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Lending-a-Vehicle.aspx
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Maybe I'm missing something here. From what I can understand, should I ever need someone in a flash (emergency scenario) to drive my vehicle for me and they are not listed on MY ins policy, and they have an MVA with my vehicle, my ins is null and void, correct? Am I not on the hook as they were not a named driver?

A headbanger ....

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I thought I read that emergency situations were exempt.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Central Okanagan”