Evicted over Airbnb

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Evicted over Airbnb

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:Castanet was quoted as saying they learned Eytcheson earns below the threshold. I would expect that means seeing a T slip (or should have). His tax return also should have included any monies received from the Airbnb. Makes one wonder.

Yes, saw that. I'm curious as to how they came to the determination. Same way he was able to trick the society into giving him low income housing? Used the information from his little IT side business and conveniently forgot to tell them about his full time employment with Interior Health?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

normaM wrote:but it ok to rent an illegal basement suite, avoid buying a business license and pocket tax free money?

People renting basement suites are generally the home owner and live upstairs, not people milking low income housing for profit as is the case here. Apples and oranges really.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

People renting basement suites are generally the home owner and live upstairs, not people milking low income housing for profit as is the case here. Apples and oranges really.

Agreed ...

People have NO idea just how many people there are that take complete advantage of the benevolence of housing societies ...

Makes me puke ..

Welfare Moms DO exist ... AND Turnips like this " dood " are everywhere ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
tpbryant

Post by tpbryant »

I think we can all agree that subsidized housing should not be air bnb out. It just flys in the face of the purpose of publicly funded housing. Also, we know there is a need for housing and at the same time I would bet that there are a good number of people renting out their basements without claiming the income or having the municipal approvals. And so there seams to be a double standard at play. A good number of posters have taken the few snippets of information and formed opinions ie "he is a systems analyst and so makes a large salary." I am thinking that Castanet somehow verified that the salary numbers thrown out were incorrect and their lawyers told them to recant the statement and so wrote, "Castanet has learned that his salary is less than $47k.."
The Ka loo na society also would have verified income with assessments like all of the other potential tenants, so why are we vilifying this man. He fit the rules when he applied to live here likely and could easily of had a living partner at the time as are others in the complex I would think. If not, then let's do a full audit on the society.
As for entering a persons residence and threatening some sort of blackmail, I suppose the courts and lawyers will sort that one out. In the mean time, I would be worried about the society and how they are managing the complex. I wonder what their interpretation of "in the event of an emergency" or reasonable evidence for what that is. We all are to expect to have the rule of law applied in our own situations right? Perhaps there needs to be better oversight on these societies and how they are conducting themselves. Audit time
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

tpbryant wrote:I think we can all agree that subsidized housing should not be air bnb out. It just flys in the face of the purpose of publicly funded housing. Also, we know there is a need for housing and at the same time I would bet that there are a good number of people renting out their basements without claiming the income or having the municipal approvals. And so there seams to be a double standard at play. A good number of posters have taken the few snippets of information and formed opinions ie "he is a systems analyst and so makes a large salary." I am thinking that Castanet somehow verified that the salary numbers thrown out were incorrect and their lawyers told them to recant the statement and so wrote, "Castanet has learned that his salary is less than $47k.."
The Ka loo na society also would have verified income with assessments like all of the other potential tenants, so why are we vilifying this man. He fit the rules when he applied to live here likely and could easily of had a living partner at the time as are others in the complex I would think. If not, then let's do a full audit on the society.
As for entering a persons residence and threatening some sort of blackmail, I suppose the courts and lawyers will sort that one out. In the mean time, I would be worried about the society and how they are managing the complex. I wonder what their interpretation of "in the event of an emergency" or reasonable evidence for what that is. We all are to expect to have the rule of law applied in our own situations right? Perhaps there needs to be better oversight on these societies and how they are conducting themselves. Audit time

Yeah salary at IH may be less than 47K though doubtful given the "Senior Analyst" designation, and is that gross or net? Also what about his side business?

There's been more than "a few snippets" of information to be found, given that some who know the character have had little good to say in his defense, something that happens generally fairly quickly when media casts someone in a negative light unfairly.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Palliser
Fledgling

Post by Palliser »

I can say with a high degree of certainty that the position at IHA pays approx 73k per annum.
Palliser
Fledgling

Post by Palliser »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 24th, 2018, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
eytch

Post by eytch »

FYI:
I am the person listed in this article.

I'm not defending myself or my actions but I thought I would set the record straight on a couple of things.
The numbers in the article seem to be misleading a lot of people because they are NET income numbers, not gross income.

The facts are:
I did not mislead or trick the society when applying for a unit.
I applied fairly for a NON SUBSIDIZED unit and qualified.
When the Castanet reporter approached me I gladly provided him with my income information again and he verified that my NET income levels met the society's requirements.
I lived in the unit full time, I did not live elsewhere.
I simply wanted a part-time roommate and AirBnB was the only avenue I could turn to for this option.
Only recently did I make the whole unit available sometimes, either when I was out of town for work or visiting family.

I can appreciate I crossed a line in this case and I am not defending my choices.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Chris
stevetylerwhite

Post by stevetylerwhite »

Wow, half the city would qualify to live in affordable housing if its based on a net income of 47k.

Gross income of $60,899.00
Less Fed tax $7,527
Less Pro tax $2,974
Equals Net income of $46,999.99

A net income of 47k is an hourly rate of $29.70

Who in there right mind thinks a $30/hr jobs needs affordable housing ?
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

well.. there is "take what you can get", and take ADVANTAGE of what you can get.. i, for one, couldn't do the latter.. and i do not make that 47k gross.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I bought a townhouse (had a co-signer) with less than that income and rented out 500 sq ft if it and shard the kitchen.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

stevetylerwhite wrote:Wow, half the city would qualify to live in affordable housing if its based on a net income of 47k.

Gross income of $60,899.00
Less Fed tax $7,527
Less Pro tax $2,974
Equals Net income of $46,999.99

A net income of 47k is an hourly rate of $29.70

Who in there right mind thinks a $30/hr jobs needs affordable housing ?

I'm pretty sure the intent here is to cover like say a small struggling family with 2 adults and a child or 2 who in this town aren't making more than say 15$ an hour each, or one who does and one who doesn't? Irrelevant anyways, the waiting list for these places is massive and I hope this tool gets taken to town legally.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Someone should check on what's happening to the housing provided by the taxpayers to our MP's in Ottawa. Rumour has it that they also rent out their accommodations on Air BNB when they are not using it.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WheelWeaves wrote:I'm pretty sure the intent here is to cover like say a small struggling family with 2 adults and a child or 2 who in this town aren't making more than say 15$ an hour each, or one who does and one who doesn't? Irrelevant anyways, the waiting list for these places is massive and I hope this tool gets taken to town legally.

The criteria also includes singles from what I've read.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”