West Kelowna winter shelter at Emmanuel Church not opening

westernrider
Fledgling

West Kelowna winter shelter at Emmanuel Church not opening

Post by westernrider »

Just heard that the homeless situation in West Kelowna is about to become very serious as there appears to be no plan to house our homeless this winter. For the past several years Emmanuel Church hosted the shelter but so far no agreement has been reached to help our homeless. The City, WFN, Province and local agencies need to solve this problem, time is running out.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: West Kelowna winter shelter at Emmanuel Church not openi

Post by voice of reason »

good . best news i have heard all day. ever since they started feeding and housing the homeless at that church the homeless population in westbank has increased. stop feeding them and they will move on. this was a nice area. the park down below used to be a good little hike with the kids. now it has bums living in tents and needles on the ground. i talked to the regional district guys a couple times this year and they are going down to kick them out on a regular basis. they said they are going to let some of the trails overgrow and hopefully it will keep people from using certain areas of the park .
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

westernrider wrote: The City, WFN, Province and local agencies need to solve this problem, time is running out.

Why? If the church wants to help then they should do so without requesting assistance from outside sources, or is the church all about the money not about the people just like all the other agencies making money off providing such services?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

westernrider wrote:Just heard that the homeless situation in West Kelowna is about to become very serious as there appears to be no plan to house our homeless this winter. For the past several years Emmanuel Church hosted the shelter but so far no agreement has been reached to help our homeless. The City, WFN, Province and local agencies need to solve this problem, time is running out.

WHY is it always somebody else's problem to solve? Did they create the problem?
Bring back the LIKE button.
westernrider
Fledgling

Post by westernrider »

alanjh595 wrote:
westernrider wrote:Just heard that the homeless situation in West Kelowna is about to become very serious as there appears to be no plan to house our homeless this winter. For the past several years Emmanuel Church hosted the shelter but so far no agreement has been reached to help our homeless. The City, WFN, Province and local agencies need to solve this problem, time is running out.

WHY is it always somebody else's problem to solve? Did they create the problem?

The problem is yours and mine, because yes, our governments are the ones who created a system where some people on the margins cannot afford housing.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I posted this article that I found on the Internet on another thread, but it also applies here.

I bought a bird feeder. I hung It on my back porch and filled It with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it was, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table, everywhere! Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And other birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food. After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio. Soon, the back yard was like it used to be.....quiet, serene....and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
westernrider
Fledgling

Post by westernrider »

Anonymous123 wrote:I posted this article that I found on the Internet on another thread, but it also applies here.

I bought a bird feeder. I hung It on my back porch and filled It with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it was, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table, everywhere! Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And other birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food. After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio. Soon, the back yard was like it used to be.....quiet, serene....and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

The writer doesn't mention the many dead birds which he had to bury after they starved and froze to death.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If they moved on, he wouldn't have had to bury any.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
westernrider
Fledgling

Post by westernrider »

Fancy wrote:If they moved on, he wouldn't have had to bury any.

Some were too weak and broken to "move on."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's embellishing the story - no surprise there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I don't think he cared. The point of the story is that he tried to do something good and it backfired on him. Fool me once.....
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
westernrider
Fledgling

Post by westernrider »

Fancy wrote:That's embellishing the story - no surprise there.

The far right-wing/anti-immigration crowd in the US is using the same story to prove their point that immigration is bad, keep the foreigners out, bring back the good old days. I imagine it's the type of thing that could justify keeping certain ethnic or racial minorities out of your neighborhood. Not as simple or innocent as it seems on the surface.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

westernrider wrote:
Fancy wrote:That's embellishing the story - no surprise there.

The far right-wing/anti-immigration crowd in the US is using the same story to prove their point that immigration is bad, keep the foreigners out, bring back the good old days. I imagine it's the type of thing that could justify keeping certain ethnic or racial minorities out of your neighborhood. Not as simple or innocent as it seems on the surface.

Yea, just look how great the far left liberal-minded approach has made things. smh
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

When you guys say the homeless should move on you’re really just saying someone else should accommodate them..I don’t much care for the homeless beyond a smidge of sympathy, but nobody deserves to freeze to death. Being homeless in Canada is probably one of the harshest countries to be homeless in.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Brass Monkey wrote: Being homeless in Canada is probably one of the harshest countries to be homeless in.

Considering the programs in place, it's likely one of the less harsher countries.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”