Winter camping spots

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Winter camping spots

Post by Fancy »

The OP hasn't even said how camping is done (tent vs RV/camper) but there are some tents set up in the winter though not by choice.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
eatSleepWoof

Post by eatSleepWoof »

We tent camped a few times in the Aspen Grove area last winter. -10C one weekend, -24C the other.

Chainsaw, matches, extra fuel, good clothing and sleeping bags, plenty of tea and whiskey = awesome times!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Whyme2 wrote:So I’m guessing we’ll see a bunch of tents going up in city park this winter. :D

Nope! No vacancies there either.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Whyme2 wrote:So I’m guessing we’ll see a bunch of tents going up in city park this winter. :D

If they're allowing the homeless to Camp wherever they want surely to God the taxpayer can camp wherever he wants as well.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
fraserkr

Post by fraserkr »

trapp wrote:Hard question without more information. Are you tent camping, or RV? Are you looking for a place on highway or in the back country? Is your RV suitable for back country roads this time of year?

Roof top tent on my truck. I have oversized studded tires on it and like a good back country drive. Electrical is not a must but it would be nice.
fraserkr

Post by fraserkr »

Fancy wrote:The OP hasn't even said how camping is done (tent vs RV/camper) but there are some tents set up in the winter though not by choice.

Roof top tent on a pickup truck. I have a heated blanket and a real heavy sleeping bag. We did cedar falls 1 week ago and it was plenty warm, didn't need the electric blanket.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

common_sense_guy wrote:If you're not scared of the cold which it doesn't sound like you are. any provincial forestry site. Oyama Lake. Dee Lake. Beaver Lake. Those provincial
Forestry campgrounds are never closed. Which is how it should be for all campgrounds whether they normally have a host or not. The only amenities at the previously mentioned forestry sites would be an outhouse

Good advice, but I'd advise against Oyama. That road isn't maintained nearly as well as Beaver. Another good option would be Postil lake FSR.

Oyama FSR can be really bad in the winter. I wouldn't even consider it without bringing a set of chains. The other problem is that the road is too narrow and not plowed wide enough when they do plow it the odd time. If you encounter a vehicle coming the other way and they've plowed up the banks (usually the case by December), there's no way to pass regardless of the vehicle/tire/chains. Someone has to reverse until you find a spot to pass - could be a kilometer or 2.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Post by kelbear25 »

McCullough Lake/Hydraulic lake campground is open for winter camping. Good access from Idabel lake end of McCullough

Return to “Central Okanagan”