Can't Arrest Our Way Out

mnprochnau
Banned

Re: Can't Arrest Our Way Out

Post by mnprochnau »

wow. sound bytes and pessimism. How's about you.....
Concentrate on what can be done and not what can't. I'm in construction and when we run into guys like you they either learn to just do it or they're down the road.
Really sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure. warning everyone ahead of time not to expect to much from you
I could go on of course but I am busy
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

exactly...concentrate about "what" can be done now and/or very quickly...and since his family's struggled thru this type of life choice by their child..he's been there and knows first hand..

I also agree with Mtn Biker...the change in Mayors at that time DID make a huge difference of how much Kelowna changed so quickly....
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It's just a cheap opportunity for a politician to score a win. "I'll crack down on crime". And then have a decade or so in office and do nothing. And blame it on "bleeding heart judges".

The sad reality is that the solution to homelessness and street crime will be so expensive and require a level of taxation that the right wing will rebel and never stand for it. And still complain that something should be done. "And, oh yeah...... reduce my taxes." Some day we'll have another Steve Harper rise to the top and sit there and do nothing but line the pockets of his friends and then retire to sit in the boardrooms of those friends.
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

In Mexico they are beaten and lynched. Especially for child abuse, they beg for the end to come quickly.
Stupid or Ugly; you need to decide, you can't be both
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Wonder what he is being paid the basically say Crisis 3 times in a few sentences and then talk about what won't work ( arrests)
Who is paying for the private security? City giving those business owners a brake.
Lots of false hope pinned to the Journey Home.
I could have suggested things to attempt, for half what he is earning
just white washing IMO
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

ferri wrote:When was the last time they did a downtown sweep? They used to do one or two a year.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/6 ... the-street

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/5 ... or-dealers

They just spread them out ,like shaking a hive.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

So .... Here I am , AGREEING with a cop .

He's right . Govt after Govt have ignored the basic needs of people in favour of cost savings . The NDG are no different IMO.

They pander to anyone who will vote for them ( Pro Rep is a good example ) , meantime those who need govts to help them slide further into despair and let "others " do the dirty work ....

Cops aren't cops anymore . They're social workers , advocates and medical first responders .

Why ? Who knows .. But a govt having the moxie to do what is right will either either cost too much money or doesn't get them votes..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

What happens if we use this silly statement for other problems with in society.
Lets say, sexual harassment, you know we cant arrest our way out.
Or , Impaired driving causing death? Gezzz, we cant arrest our way out of this.
Although maybe truth behind a problem getting so large and just going out and arresting people wont solve the whole problem but, to state it is a joke. It would not be used for any of our other criminal issue's so why ok for this one???
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Although maybe truth behind a problem getting so large and just going out and arresting people wont solve the whole problem but, to state it is a joke.

Say that again ... REALLY slow .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

MAPearce wrote:
Although maybe truth behind a problem getting so large and just going out and arresting people wont solve the whole problem but, to state it is a joke.

Say that again ... REALLY slow .

why? its correct.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

zoo wrote:
why? its correct.
Nope ..

You say that telling the truth about a problem is a "joke" ???

Having a problem with that .
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/243059 ... ten-robbed

I am going out on a limb and betting this isn't these two turds 1st rodeo at criminal activity - probably even home invasion - although they did get the wrong house apparently so smarts probably isn't their strong suit.

So..... I would like to hear Mr. McKinnon explain how NOT ARRESTING, charging and jailing these two bozos for one of their other crimes earlier on WOULD NOT HAVE PREVENTED this one? If their butts were in jail they wouldn't have been able to commit this crime now would they? Seems pretty simple to me.

Most importantly these victims would have been safe (at least from these 2 morons), had their butts been in jail for previous crimes committed.

I'm all for arresting them and keeping them in jail - don't much care what tale of woe caused them to become home invaders. Point is, jailed people aren't on the streets doing others harm.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its pretty clear to me that the city of kelowna are mayor bc housing and john howard have declared war on the senoirs of kelowna
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

[/quote] Nope ..

You say that telling the truth about a problem is a "joke" ???

Having a problem with that .[/quote]

Think your missing it. That's the joke part of it. Arresting, charging anyone in this country holds no merit, no punishment, frequencies, no intimidation.
So when you work within the field that can actually help change this, make life hard on them , fight for changes to the law, programs etc, and you choose not to do that, then state it wont work is a joke. That's a cop out.
This problem should never have gotten so extreme. That's the failure in the first place.
Its not the truth, that's the joke, they failed along the way to make changes, adjust to the problems while they were happening.Which is what we pay them for.
shelbyguy

Post by shelbyguy »

What a COP OUT
These criminals need to steal every day-all day long to support their habit. Just where does everyone think they get the money for their addiction.
Please don't give these criminals a free pass.
Saying "We cant arrest our way out" is like saying "We can't ticket our way out of speeders" Or lets stop charging impaired drivers because it doesn't work.
The truth is that ticketing and impaired charges do work. So why the double standard on homeless criminal activity?
All levels of government need to step up and properly fund addiction treatment and get tough on those that refuse treatment and continue to steal every day.
We need enforcement along with quality addiction treatment and DRY accommodation for those that need it. If these addicts refuse treatment and continue to steal, lock them up until they start cleaning themselves up.
Collectively everyone in Kelowna is at risk of being a victim to a break-in and theft of property, and by proxy we are already paying for the illegal activity of this group of criminals.
Lets put our energy and money towards solving the problem since we are subsidizing it through their illegal activities already.

Return to “Central Okanagan”