Raising the cost at the landfill

Re: Raising the cost at the landfill

Postby one wheel » Dec 11th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Kelowna's landfill used to be run using 3 people, then it got modern & we now have a "an award winning - best in the country landfill" that employs many people & the costs to run it have gone up, but I'd bet the City of Kelowna actually makes money running it ? I know it sure looks good.

I believe in recycling everything possible however during this past year I've never seen so many recyclable items thrown into our garbage bin by adults that just don't care because nothing or no one is going to do anything about it ?

It should not cost a lot to dispose of things at the landfill but it does & cleaning up of illegal dumping most likely costs far more than a lower landfill fee would ?
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby Ken7 » Dec 11th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:I don't get the fee for tires. Why Is there an enviro fee on tires?

Wonder what the tire shop who collected the fee would say if you drop the tires off at their door?

Bpeep likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2934 posts

Postby Even Steven » Dec 11th, 2018, 2:28 pm

one wheel wrote:Kelowna's landfill used to be run using 3 people

LOL when? In 1923?
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2113 posts

Postby one wheel » Dec 11th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Yes Even Steven - 3 people, 1 at the scale & 1 dozer on the face & 1 with a loader. I wouldn't know about 1923 ? But during the late 1970's I know about because I went there & it remained that way until the recycling started & extra people were needed.
one wheel
Fledgling

Postby kgcayenne » Dec 11th, 2018, 8:01 pm

lol [icon_lol2.gif] ... lets se the population was 52,000 in 1976, and 130,000 in 2016. It’s definitely not 1976 anymore, Cletus!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4051 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 11th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Ken7 wrote:Wonder what the tire shop who collected the fee would say if you drop the tires off at their door?

I usually leave my tires at the shop where I get my new tires. There is also a tire recycler just off McCurdy a block up from OK Builders. I've brought tires there for no cost. They also sell used tires.
We See
We Judge

Relentless likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1392 posts

Postby bigtimeoperations » Dec 11th, 2018, 9:19 pm

A transfer station is badly needed at the south end of town. From what I've seen, Gillard and Chute Lake are the worst Forestry Roads for illegal dumping in the Central Okanagan. Easy to see why! If there was a waste transfer station, people would hopefully be inclined to use it. Problem is, that's the more affluent part of town, so the NIMBYism is strong when it comes to the location of this thing.

The increase in dump fees is probably going to make the illegal dumping worse all over, how sad! Now is the time to start setting up cameras and catching these characters. If someone is caught, onto the news and social media they go! Sounds harsh, but if you don't wanna be publicly shamed, don't dump. Its not rocket science!

I'm always cleaning up out in the bush when I go adventuring. A big bag for fine trash, a few buckets for coarse trash/metal that would rip the bag, and a blue recycling box for any bottles, cans, etc. Its bad enough the trash dumped right next to the main road only a few kilometers up, but breaks my heart seeing it way far out in the wilderness. I would love to volunteer with Okanagan Forest Task Force, but seems they are on hiatus?

Catsumi likes this post.
bigtimeoperations

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Grandan » Dec 11th, 2018, 9:35 pm

bigtimeoperations wrote:A transfer station is badly needed at the south end of town. From what I've seen, Gillard and Chute Lake are the worst Forestry Roads for illegal dumping in the Central Okanagan. Easy to see why! If there was a waste transfer station, people would hopefully be inclined to use it. Problem is, that's the more affluent part of town, so the NIMBYism is strong when it comes to the location of this thing.

The increase in dump fees is probably going to make the illegal dumping worse all over, how sad! Now is the time to start setting up cameras and catching these characters. If someone is caught, onto the news and social media they go! Sounds harsh, but if you don't wanna be publicly shamed, don't dump. Its not rocket science!

I'm always cleaning up out in the bush when I go adventuring. A big bag for fine trash, a few buckets for coarse trash/metal that would rip the bag, and a blue recycling box for any bottles, cans, etc. Its bad enough the trash dumped right next to the main road only a few kilometers up, but breaks my heart seeing it way far out in the wilderness. I would love to volunteer with Okanagan Forest Task Force, but seems they are on hiatus?

The last time I dumped some used drywall it was $175 per tonne or in my case $30 for the equivalent of 4 sheets of gypsum wallboard or about 1/2 the cost of 4 new sheets.
There are a lot of demolitions in Kelowna and the city mandates that drywall be removed before demolition and taken to the dump where it is charged accordingly. Look at the Kelowna building permits and see how many there are each week, it's crazy.
I am further astounded at the numbers of appliances thrown out at the dump, many likely in working condition but that is a whole 'nother subject.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 920 posts

Postby Bpeep » Dec 11th, 2018, 10:02 pm

I just take all my stuff to Bsud's and tell him I was going to put it up for sale but I'd prefer he'd have it.
And he graciously accepts it.
Probably saves me 3 hun a year in tip fees.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

normaM likes this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10251 posts

Postby Even Steven » Dec 12th, 2018, 9:22 am

one wheel wrote:Yes Even Steven - 3 people, 1 at the scale & 1 dozer on the face & 1 with a loader. I wouldn't know about 1923 ? But during the late 1970's I know about because I went there & it remained that way until the recycling started & extra people were needed.

I call BS on this, maybe your memory is starting to get fuzzy. Even Okanagan Falls dump has a dozen people working there and they are the size of one Kelowna neighbourhood.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2113 posts

Postby one wheel » Dec 15th, 2018, 3:24 pm

I went to the landfill daily from the late 70's & it ran with 3 super people & watched the staff increase over the years & by 2006 I think the crew then was around 12 when I stopped going ?
I shouldn't have mentioned this in my first post because it took things off topic. It really doesn't matter one hoot how many were working back then because our landfill has taken a whole new direction by recycling & separating rather than just dumping & it's good, so of course the staff levels have increased.

The issue is that when the tipping fees get above what people are willing to pay is when then the problems begin ?

What is the total cost of cleaning up all these illegally dumped items ?

Would a lower tipping fee solve the problem & have a lower environmental impact ?
one wheel
Fledgling

Postby RustyCrayon » Dec 15th, 2018, 5:33 pm

one wheel wrote:I went to the landfill daily from the late 70's & it ran with 3 super people & watched the staff increase over the years & by 2006 I think the crew then was around 12 when I stopped going ?
I shouldn't have mentioned this in my first post because it took things off topic. It really doesn't matter one hoot how many were working back then because our landfill has taken a whole new direction by recycling & separating rather than just dumping & it's good, so of course the staff levels have increased.

The issue is that when the tipping fees get above what people are willing to pay is when then the problems begin ?

What is the total cost of cleaning up all these illegally dumped items ?

Would a lower tipping fee solve the problem & have a lower environmental impact ?

I wonder as well! I have certainly noticed more garbage and building materials dumped in the woods in the last 5 years. I wonder if it's due to the increasing cost to drop stuff off at the dump, or the general deterioration of society/morals?
RustyCrayon
Fledgling

Liked in: 310 posts

Postby Relentless » Dec 15th, 2018, 10:44 pm

RustyCrayon wrote: I have certainly noticed more garbage and building materials dumped in the woods in the last 5 years. I wonder if it's due to the increasing cost to drop stuff off at the dump, or the general deterioration of society/morals?

Personally I think it's people rebelling against rules, the Okanagan is full of these types.
People can Illegally dump everywhere because they know the chance of getting caught and fined is slim.
The ones that drive up into the bush with a load that should be taken to the landfill are just simply playing a game that they think they have won when the load is scattered in the bush.
Meanwhile, raising rates at the dump is like Pick N Pull charging $1 admission to get in, they do it because they can!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 504 posts

Postby Bpeep » Dec 15th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Pick n pull charges a dollar and you sign an agreement upon entry, creating a contract in which you agree to their terms and absolve them of all liability.
The dollar is necessary to create consideration.
They don't charge it because they can, they charge it because its required to create the contractual obligation.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Anonymous123 likes this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Postby Bpeep » Dec 15th, 2018, 11:23 pm

A few of the morons dumping in the bush need to get a nasty large fine that's big enough to make every dumb redneck think twice before they consider doing the same thing.

2 people like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan