Raising the cost at the landfill

Re: Raising the cost at the landfill

Postby Not Bob » Dec 16th, 2018, 6:09 am

Dumping fees in Vernon are 1/2 of those for Kelowna, and the lineup is never more than 5 minutes. Makes it worthwhile to drive up there from Winfield instead of sitting in line for 45 minutes at the Glenmore dump.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~

cv23 likes this post.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 685 posts

Postby Bikes » Dec 16th, 2018, 5:51 pm

If anyone ran a business like they do at the dump on any level they would be bankrupt in a week never mind the costs. the place is a giant gong show.

2 people like this post.
Bikes

Liked in: 29 posts

Postby Even Steven » Dec 16th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Not Bob wrote:Dumping fees in Vernon are 1/2 of those for Kelowna.

LOL no they are not. Vernon charges over $100/ton, Kelowna under $90. Vernon might have a lower min charge though.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2113 posts

Postby John Crawford » Jan 3rd, 2019, 11:50 am

Anonymous123 wrote:I don't get the fee for tires. Why Is there an enviro fee on tires?

Good question!
We purchase a tyre from where ever, the invoice shows the usual, taxes and environmental fee, and when we dispose the tyre we are charged again.
John Crawford

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 3rd, 2019, 10:45 pm

I called the City Landfill people years ago asking why they charged a fee for tires when a levy has already been paid ?

I got told it was because they had to hire a truck to pick them up & the fellow made it sound like the City was doing everyone a favor by providing this service ?

I would think it's much more cost effective to make one stop & get a full load rather than make several ?
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 4th, 2019, 5:15 am

So using that logic we should be charged to return cans and bottles at the depot?
Apparently engaging in Sex on a regular basis is beneficial to having a good memory.

I just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year for 2014.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11555 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jan 4th, 2019, 8:17 am

one wheel wrote:I called the City Landfill people years ago asking why they charged a fee for tires when a levy has already been paid ?

I got told it was because they had to hire a truck to pick them up & the fellow made it sound like the City was doing everyone a favor by providing this service ?

I would think it's much more cost effective to make one stop & get a full load rather than make several ?

You have to cover the wages of that guy who neatly stands tire upon tire so they look nice when you drive past.

The one that gets me is the gyp-roc. Pay premium money to dispose of it and recently they took the mountain of it and put it out of sight, under ground. Huh, so it was just land fill.

We should look at the plastic wood composite they use on decks. If it will last 50 yrs in the sun, how many years will it last underground? It won't decompose it is like plastic bags.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2934 posts

Postby phasyluck » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:I don't get the fee for tires. Why Is there an enviro fee on tires?

Another tax grab as usual
Sure do love Rutland!!
phasyluck
Übergod

Liked in: 746 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 5th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Bsuds wrote:So using that logic we should be charged to return cans and bottles at the depot?

Actually, in some cases you are "being charged" ... you don't always get back the full amount of the recycle deposit you paid at the store at the return locations. It depends on the container you are returning. That difference is partially how the program is funded.
RVThereYet
Board Meister

Liked in: 526 posts

Postby emc group » Jan 5th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Back in early 80's when I started hauling, staff was about 3 or 4 ppl. Not even sure scale was there. Remember going into old enterance turn left and drive down hill into a pit type area, sure looked different then. Was an older guy, Ben driving a big open cat dozer, no protection, winter and summer. Man, we buried EVERYTHING back then, from expired cows to propane tanks.

Not sure why we separate the drywall now, still just gets buried, just in a separate pile.
emc group
Fledgling

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 6th, 2019, 10:15 am

I thought the drywall at the landfill got transferred to a depot near Pinto & Sexsmith Rd. area to be recycled but where is the plant located that would reuse it & make new sheets ?

If the cost of shipping is too high maybe it does get buried, we just aren't told about it ?
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 235 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan