Fighting for her life

SC001

Fighting for her life

Post by SC001 »

It is a horrible thing that happened in this situation. Before I say what I'm going to say, let me just assure you that I don't think her situation is a good thing or that she deserved it. It's awful.

However, she was most likely aware that she was getting into a vehicle with a drunk driver. Just because you're not the driver, doesn't mean it's safe to get in the passenger seat with someone who is driving drunk. Whether or not she, herself was drinking, people should know better than this. Should a "go fund me" go towards someone who makes a decision like this? Getting hit by a drunk driver is one thing...it's not something you decided to take a risk on. Voluntarily going is quite another.

It's almost as bad as the driver asking for money because he was dumb enough to get behind the wheel of his vehicle inebriated. The driver had to be pretty darned drunk to hit the pole hard enough to rip the truck in two. Why should people fund a drunken joy ride?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Fighting for her life

Post by Loki2u »

I think the answer to your questions is a fairly simple one:

If you don't want to donate......Don't!
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

SC001 wrote:It is a horrible thing that happened in this situation. Before I say what I'm going to say, let me just assure you that I don't think her situation is a good thing or that she deserved it. It's awful.

However, she was most likely aware that she was getting into a vehicle with a drunk driver. Just because you're not the driver, doesn't mean it's safe to get in the passenger seat with someone who is driving drunk. Whether or not she, herself was drinking, people should know better than this. Should a "go fund me" go towards someone who makes a decision like this? Getting hit by a drunk driver is one thing...it's not something you decided to take a risk on. Voluntarily going is quite another.

It's almost as bad as the driver asking for money because he was dumb enough to get behind the wheel of his vehicle inebriated. The driver had to be pretty darned drunk to hit the pole hard enough to rip the truck in two. Why should people fund a drunken joy ride?

Are you asking sarcastically or has one actually been set up? If not, why mention it?
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

WalterWhite wrote:
SC001 wrote:It is a horrible thing that happened in this situation. Before I say what I'm going to say, let me just assure you that I don't think her situation is a good thing or that she deserved it. It's awful.

Are you asking sarcastically or has one actually been set up? If not, why mention it?

GFM set up here

https://www.gofundme.com/devon-loy

Castanet:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... r-her-life
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Wow.
Thanks for the links RV
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

I’m just thankful that there decision didn’t kill some innocent bystander that night driving along Hwy 97. Seems as though drinking and driving is becoming way too more often again!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

SC001 wrote:However, she was most likely aware that she was getting into a vehicle with a drunk driver..... Why should people fund a drunken joy ride?

Was she aware though? It's possible she did not know he was inebriated (Loy was found in the back seat of the cab).

No one is funding a drunken joy ride - the GoFundMe was started to alleviate the financial stress that will occur (rent, bills, future medical care).

I hope she makes a full recovery or at the very least able to enjoy life again.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Don't like the situation , don't donate money to this.
Hell i think they still need to pay taxes on this money so who gives a *bleep*!
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

Fancy wrote:
SC001 wrote:However, she was most likely aware that she was getting into a vehicle with a drunk driver..... Why should people fund a drunken joy ride?

Was she aware though? It's possible she did not know he was inebriated (Loy was found in the back seat of the cab).

No one is funding a drunken joy ride - the GoFundMe was started to alleviate the financial stress that will occur (rent, bills, future medical care).

You are absolutely correct - I hope she makes a full recovery or at the very least able to enjoy life again.
It's only speculation, but she may have realized there was a problem that she had no control of, and may have gotten into the back for protection. If she hadn't, she may not have survived to this point. Most people put seat belts on these days ( it's habitual), and unlikely that if she were wearing a seatbelt - would have been thrown into the back seat. But, that is the job of the police Collision analyst to figure out - Either way, it's very tragic, and if she survives, it will be a long long road back to normal, if that's possible. Remember, if you have children, that could eventually be your son or daughter, or you getting struck by an impaired driver. So, donate and pay it forward and if you are a recipient, pay it back. She needs support, not criticism.
Last edited by ferri on Dec 12th, 2018, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected quote
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Just happy it isn't a GoFund me for an innocent victim who was in another vehicle or pedestrian in the crosswalk.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

It's not a question of should. People who know her will have a chance to help her through this. Strangers who wish to chip in can do so too. I'm always a bit curious about the backlash for crowdfunding campaigns like this. If someone wanted to walk her dog or cook her a meal, or shovel her sidewalk while she recovers, I doubt anyone would have a problem with that. We'd likely applaud the selflessness. But the notion of contributing money, is resented.

It's worth noting that the GoFundMe for Ms. Loy has raised over $7000 in less than 24 hours. The original goal was $5000.

We can probably all hope that if we needed help, whether it was due to our own screw-up or not, that we'd have as many friends as she apparently does.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

jimmy4321 wrote:Don't like the situation , don't donate money to this.
Hell i think they still need to pay taxes on this money so who gives a *bleep*!

Depends on what the funds are used for. In this case I don't think she would pay tax as the money would be considered as donated (gifted) and those that donated won't receive anything of value in return for the money, nor a tax receipt for the donation.

But use GFM to raise money to fund a business or other idea it would probably be a different story.

https://taxpage.com/articles-and-tips/t ... wdfunding/

Taxation of Donation-based crowdfunding

On this model, the fundraiser solicits donations for altruistic purposes. For instance, one might raise funds using a GoFundMe account so that a sick child can attend an Ariana Grande concert or to aid a family facing eviction.

Fundraisers using the donation-based model probably do not need to report the funds that they receive as income. These funds would likely constitute a gift since,presumably, those contributing money to the specified cause are doing so without receiving anything valuable in exchange.A recipient of a gift is not required to report that gift as taxable income unless it stems from an employer. Gifts from an employer will typically constitute a taxable employee benefit if the gift exceeds a certain value.

Donors, on the other hand, should not expect a donation tax credit for their contributions unless they are donating to a crowdfunding campaign established by a registered Canadian charity.

Currently, the CRA treats crow funding "income" on a case by case basis.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

soupy wrote:Just happy it isn't a GoFund me for an innocent victim who was in another vehicle or pedestrian in the crosswalk.

It is an innocent victim. Did you never make poor choices at that age?
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

lensbaby wrote:
soupy wrote:Just happy it isn't a GoFund me for an innocent victim who was in another vehicle or pedestrian in the crosswalk.

It is an innocent victim. Did you never make poor choices at that age?

Sure did. None that endangered my life though.
Plus, unless you have definitive insite into the decisions of the driver and passenger that night you cannot say who may, or may not be innocent.

Perhaps she was completely innocent and didn't know the driver was drunk?
Perhaps she convinced the driver he was "OK" to drive?

I do not know.

Its unfortunately. But again, I am glad there wasn't an innocent victim that was not associated to the vehicle that caused the accident.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Too many assumptions that is painting the poor girl in an unfavourable light - to what end?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”