Orchard Park Mall thefts

Re: Orchard Park Mall thefts

Postby the truth » Dec 15th, 2018, 1:59 pm

agree 100% the whole pc thing is out of control,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

2 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7262 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 28th, 2018, 1:54 pm

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-244474-1-.htm#244474 lets hope the cameras caught there faces. that must be what are mayor asrram meant when he said kelowna was open for business

same area almost https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245547 same guy that was maybe involved in the best buy robbery maybe ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Dec 28th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Pretty sad when the Dog squad can't find a guy carrying stolen meat! :D
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Postby OKkayak » Dec 28th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Merry wrote:I have to laugh at the politically correct description of the suspects as being "non white". Because, while it may be considered more inoffensive by some, it isn't really helpful when trying to provide a description that might attract some leads.

After all, the term "non white" covers a whole gamut of ethnic groups. Are the suspects black, or oriental, or indigenous, or another non white ethnic group that I've overlooked?

My point is that if the police are hoping to trigger somebody's memory which may then lead to them getting a useful tip, being politically correct isn't very helpful.

There are times when it's necessary to "call it like it is" even if it inadvertently offends someone.

It's funny how its offensive to use colour to describe someone, i.e.: he was black. But its totally kosher to use white as a colour to describe them such as "non-white". [icon_lol2.gif]

6 people like this post.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 3009 posts

Postby Jlabute » Dec 28th, 2018, 2:11 pm

We discriminate all the time. ie. This is 'salt' and that is 'pepper'. He is black and he is white. It is how we categorize the world around us. Nothing wrong with discrimination in that aspect. Perhaps non-white just means we don't the heck know what he is, he just isn't white?
Last edited by Jlabute on Dec 28th, 2018, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1631 posts

Postby OKkayak » Dec 28th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Jlabute wrote:We discriminate all the time. ie. This is 'salt' and that is 'pepper'. He is black and he is white. It is how we categorize the world around us. Nothing wrong with discrimination in that aspect. Perhaps non-white just means we don't the heck know what he is, he is just isn't white?

Non-caucasian then.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 3009 posts

Postby Jlabute » Dec 28th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I saw 4 police vehicles at the mall on I think the 26th parked in front of the food court. No indication as to what the problem was. Anyone know?
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1631 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 28th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Jlabute wrote:I saw 4 police vehicles at the mall on I think the 26th parked in front of the food court. No indication as to what the problem was. Anyone know?

Cinnabon had a 2fer?
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.

4 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Postby MAPearce » Dec 28th, 2018, 4:16 pm

It's funny how its offensive to use colour to describe someone, i.e.: he was black. But its totally kosher to use white as a colour to describe them such as "non-white". [icon_lol2.gif]

yeah .... a white says , "he was black" and it's offensive but P Diddy calls his non white buddy a "nigga" and it's ok ..

"Takin da hate from the word" is how he explained it to Oprah ..

So ANYWAY , I sure hope the cops narrowed their suspect list down considering how many "non white" people i see EVERY . day ....
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4743 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 28th, 2018, 5:20 pm

guy looks native to me , can i even say native :135: or just non white

2 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby FreeRights » Dec 29th, 2018, 3:04 am

Merry wrote:I have to laugh at the politically correct description of the suspects as being "non white". Because, while it may be considered more inoffensive by some, it isn't really helpful when trying to provide a description that might attract some leads.

After all, the term "non white" covers a whole gamut of ethnic groups. Are the suspects black, or oriental, or indigenous, or another non white ethnic group that I've overlooked?

My point is that if the police are hoping to trigger somebody's memory which may then lead to them getting a useful tip, being politically correct isn't very helpful.

There are times when it's necessary to "call it like it is" even if it inadvertently offends someone.

They typically do describe suspects as accurately as possible. In this case, they may not have had witnesses that were able to pinpoint ethnicity.

If they described someone as aboriginal, you wouldn't be looking for someone that's latino.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2030 posts

Postby dle » Dec 30th, 2018, 8:52 am

Bsuds wrote:
47396473_782063682129055_6495079901287153664_n.jpg

I know, right?? If they can get shots like that on Mars, surely we have the technology to at least get SOME pics/videos here on earth that don't all look like they have been taken by someone with serious DT's! They are ALL ridiculously grainy, wobbly, out of focus....I think my cell phone takes better video....what's up with that? Must be a reasonable explanation....

the truth likes this post.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 2272 posts

Postby dle » Dec 30th, 2018, 9:58 am

IMPO it's getting to the point where all businesses should have buzzer entrances along with video (some downtown businesses do already). At my job downtown, when there are only one or two people in the office, we are told to keep the office door locked and only allow in people we know. We also have steel property gates that are locked all night.

If I was a business owner I would absolutely have a buzzer system. I would refuse entry to anyone who declined to remove a face mask, a hoodie, or sunglasses - anything that disguises/covers a persons face, and there would be signage to that effect also stating you will be on camera. The buzzer system is the way to go to avoid confrontation and make the request safely. I see a lot of people wearing those scary looking face coverings - to each their own style choices - but seriously what's up with those goofy things anyways? Some are like creepy skeleton faces etc, I'm sure you know that ones I'm talking about. Aside from their ugliness and their obvious design to intentionally be scary and creepy, I suppose they are of use if you are engaged in certain legit activities, for example riding a bike to keep the bugs off OR some not legit activities such as wanting to do something nefarious and not be identified. I can't see any legit reason for going into any business without removing it unless there is a medical reason for which I'm sure one could get a doctor's note that could be produced.

I seriously feel the legal system - all of it from top to bottom - has decided there is just too much crime and it's just become overwhelming and there's "no easy answer" and no room in the jails so unless someone is seriously injured they just want you to let it go. It's frustrating and it's wrong. Why the hell should we "let it go"? Seriously? Our insurance premiums go up, our right to live peaceably and without fear is taken from us, our property is taken from us and/or destroyed, we are threatened, homes are invaded, seniors are preyed on. We are subjected to a great many things that are "against the law" but the law does nothing and expects us to just say "oh well" and move on. Another day another robbery/assault/theft - ho hum, no biggie, quit whining.

We will get no help from them so it's up to us to do what we can to protect ourselves. If that means installing buzzers on our business doors and not allowing face coverings so be it. People who are not out to do harm will not mind having their face visible before entering your establishment. As a matter of fact, as a customer, I would welcome the fact that the business was taking care of its customers by providing a safe place to shop or dine. Refusing entry to someone for these reasons cannot in my mind possibly be described as "discrimination" of any sort. Unless of course "discrimination against allowing someone every opportunity to commit a crime against you" is a law. There is no law against having a dress code that I'm aware of - so the dress code should include "purposely trying to hide your identity = no service". Like "no shirt, no shoes, no service". For some religious reasons face coverings are worn but surely there must be a way to politely and discreetly vet that person before allowing entry without causing an international incident.
dle
Übergod

Postby dle » Dec 30th, 2018, 10:21 am

Bsuds wrote:Pretty sad when the Dog squad can't find a guy carrying stolen meat! :D

no kidding eh?! Just wouldn't happen with any self-respecting doggo I've ever loved!

This theft - it's food - even I can cut some slack for a hungry person swipin a bit of food BUT I am pretty sure that if that same thief had gone into a store and asked he might have been surprised to be given what he needed and probably more. Some of the grocery store employees and their owner/managers are very cognizant of the desperation of someone hungry and they have little displays of "free fruit for children" etc, and have been seen for instance to be giving a hot cooked chicken & some bread to someone who looked in need.

Sometimes being up front really does pay better than crime...and they can feel some honour. My grandfather had a little corner store years ago. A few of the down on their luck would come and ask to do some snow shovelling in exchange for some food. He always gave a nice bag of food for the shovelling - he wasn't able to shovel and they needed food - honourable exchange for both with a respectful handshake afterwards and some friendly conversation. Funny, they never asked for money, only food. I think he gave more in food than the actual cost of the work in money would actually buy!
dle
Übergod

Postby dle » Jan 21st, 2019, 6:52 am

Here is more fuel to add to the 'buzzer system' being the only way to go:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... -in-1-week

This place in the 'Loops was robbed twice in a week - by masked guys who just freely entered the store. Not sure about the 1st time but this time one of the guys was armed with a box cutter knife.

Nobody wants to live in a barred up City but unfortunately with the crime rate higher than our City Council appears able to count and acknowledge, the gate and/or buzzer system is the only thing with any chance of keeping you and your business safe.

The criminals are winning - well, we are letting them win - and we need to smarten up.

I noticed this as well in reading and watching the news lately - creeps caught on home security cameras blatantly casing homes in broad daylight and even carrying pads and pens so they can make notes of their findings! It also doubles as a "beard" if they dress half-decently and carry the pad people who notice them will think they are on legit business at the home - a contractor or something.

Some areas are not allowed to put up fencing. Perhaps those home owners should approach City Hall and get permits based on high crime rates and make those fences with nice black wrought iron with the 6-8" spikes on top. Looks very nice but prevents the snakes from slithering over the top.

As I'm walking around town I see some stores are doing the buzzer systems - good on them, they are the smart ones and they are doing their part to at least make it harder for the thieves to get in.

Just a few ideas that come to mind - nothing is fool-proof but every little bit helps I'm thinking.
dle
Übergod

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan