4.43% Tax Increase

Re: 4.43% Tax Increase

Postby Jonrox » Dec 14th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Property taxes in Kelowna are cheap compared to most of the rest of the country. When I moved here I was pleasantly surprised at how low my tax bill was. It's probably why you won't find me complaining about moderate increases.

spooker likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2279 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 14th, 2018, 3:36 pm

monilynno wrote:Oh it just keep getting better and better. ICBC now wants another 6.3% https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#244591

Guess you better take the bus.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4359 posts

Postby soupy » Dec 14th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Glacier wrote:
the truth wrote:we have snow plowing, :200: [icon_lol2.gif]

Here is the thing. People DEMAND top notch service and immediate plowing not realizing that this costs tax payers hundreds of dollars per hour! Then they b*tch when their taxes go up to pay for the service... while b*tching about how they want even more service for less money as if you can get snowplows to run more hours for less money (you can't).

Hundreds of dollars ?!?! Try thousands.

Wages for all operators. (Likely overtime rates during after hours call outs).
Fuel. Plow trucks arent exactly eco-friendly electric vehicles.
Maintenance. Hidden cost of maintaining the fleet, and prepping them with blades / sanders for the winter months.
Equipment cost. Dump trucks are not cheap, nor are graders.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 585 posts

Postby Terris » Dec 14th, 2018, 3:56 pm

In my opinion...

Developers should be required to be on the hook for a much longer period of time for all these "development" related infrastructure costs.

Too many development costs are unseen and unforeseen, and initial proposals by developers always paint a picture usually much rosier than future reality.

Time will tell how much longer the populace here will allow themselves to be duped by carpetbagging sales pitches and weak city councils...

3 people like this post.
Terris
Board Meister

Liked in: 290 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 14th, 2018, 4:49 pm

soupy wrote:Hundreds of dollars ?!?! Try thousands.

I was going to say thousands, but then I didn't want some schmuck on here telling me that really only costs $890/hour to operate a plow. At least anything over $1000 is still hundreds... haha.

Either way, it's not cheap.

I wonder how much more taxes will have to go up to pay for the BC government's new requirements for plowing highways!
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

soupy likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11094 posts

Postby AltaRed » Dec 14th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Jonrox wrote:Property taxes in Kelowna are cheap compared to most of the rest of the country. When I moved here I was pleasantly surprised at how low my tax bill was. It's probably why you won't find me complaining about moderate increases.

+1 I am in W Kelowna, but taxes in both our municipalities are extremely cheap compared to most places in Canada. Both municipalities are facing a crisis in crumbling infrastructure and it cannot be deferred any longer. DCC only works, and is intended, for new infrastructure. C'mon Kelowna residents. Be realistic!
AltaRed

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 14th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Grandan wrote:The cost of doing business in Kelowna has gone up dramatically, meaning the cost for construction, maintenance and servicing debt are higher. If the cost of heating my home goes up should I cut off the gas?
The cost for housing has risen, and that means that contractors are paying more to live here. Should we ask them to absorb the costs that impact the city?
I say enough of the idiots who say enough is enough. Too long the city has scraped along, hat in hand looking for any way it can to get citizens the services they demand. If they cannot keep up with deteriorating infrastructure then it is time the good citizens of Kelowna step up. Kelowna does not have high taxes relative to it's neighbours.
Many of the new roads and drainage projects have been paid for by developers.

Indeed, most of the stuff is paid for by developers, while the city keeps frittering monies away on frivolous stuff such as more lakefront properties and grandiose bathrooms.

Have you ever considered that just maybe the priorities are messed up, if they have such an issue with infrastructure?

Their tax base is growing at a ridiculously fast rate, so just perhaps some of that money should be directed toward aging infrastructure instead of salary hikes and dressing up places like Abbott Street, Ethel, Lakeshore, etc.

Another area which from my observations could save them a heap of money is far better planning. Why for example are they digging up all the roads for this water system amalgamation when some of those same roads are slated to be dug up again as part of the perimeter road plan?

Do the different departments not communicate with each other?

People shouldn't be called idiots for simply expecting better performance from overpaid pencil pushers at city hall.

"Scraping along with hat in hand", [icon_lol2.gif] Give me a break.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

4 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6673 posts

Postby Vacancyrate » Dec 14th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Mostly everyone's property value in Kelowna has seen insane gains in a few short years.

Lot's of whining going on.

2 people like this post.
Vacancyrate
Übergod

Liked in: 740 posts

Postby OKkayak » Dec 14th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Wage freezes for civil servants would be a good start :up:

4 people like this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1788 posts

Postby Grandan » Dec 15th, 2018, 12:11 am

Terris wrote:In my opinion...

Developers should be required to be on the hook for a much longer period of time for all these "development" related infrastructure costs.

Too many development costs are unseen and unforeseen, and initial proposals by developers always paint a picture usually much rosier than future reality.

Time will tell how much longer the populace here will allow themselves to be duped by carpetbagging sales pitches and weak city councils...

Great idea, let those homeowners in new developments pay more and drive up the cost of a new home even more.
You do know that everything new is over engineered and built to every standard you could throw at it? The engineers are on the hook if the work fails, they usually make sure that it doesn't.
Waste not

Tony likes this post.
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 936 posts

Postby stang22 » Dec 15th, 2018, 5:43 am

How about improving our water quality in rose valley and area before sticking soccer domes up. Sucks having to get bottled water all year. seriously!!

Terris likes this post.
stang22

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby normaM » Dec 15th, 2018, 7:12 am

Can't say I'm delighted. Edmonton kept their hike to under 3%. Agree we need more firefighters and police.. not sure about the new positions they are creating including the " bureau of checking out AirBnB"
When no one will cheat with you
Maybe cheating not your thing

4 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4444 posts

Postby Terris » Dec 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Grandan wrote:Great idea, let those homeowners in new developments pay more and drive up the cost of a new home even more. You do know that everything new is over engineered and built to every standard you could throw at it? The engineers are on the hook if the work fails, they usually make sure that it doesn't.

The local real estate "industry", and the whole notion that it is an actual "industry" needs to be examined.

Prices are already unsustainably beyond any sane sense of reality.

Relying on the local working class tax base to maintain the current status quo of all "developments" here is foolish?

They, like the transient real estate shills who sold them on Kelowna, can always go somewhere else and leave Kelowna with all it's costly infrastructures to nowhere.

You can already see hundreds of formerly retired seniors working, in retail stores and restaurants in order to maintain their Kelowna retirement dreams, which are being further shattered by having drug residences forced upon them into their safe neighborhoods at the will of an uncaring, bought-and paid-for city council.

YAAaaay...

Nobody is fooled by the "sunshine tax" platitude anymore unless you're a complete noob here.

Real estate speculation is as real estate speculation does I suppose...

:138:

Or...

What else ???

Maintain the current paradigm with the current status quo and end up with $2Bn infrastructure taxation costs?

Where do we apply the brakes and let the rest of the infrastructure train catch up ?

Maintain the current paradigm with the current status quo and end up with even less efficient transportation?

Maintain the current paradigm with the current status quo and end up with even more homeless while maintain a highly speculation based real estate "industry" which has a byproduct of bulldozing and paving over all the local arable, food producing ALR land base and thus rendering it unusable?

It's seems so often that, the planning department is getting it's cues from a 90's version of the sim city computer game.

Maintain the current paradigm with the current status quo and end up with even less water?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/br ... e25715836/

Maintain the current paradigm with the current status quo and end up with more crime? Remember when Kelowna was, not too long ago, named the crime capital of Canada?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/kelowna-s-crime-r ... -1.1384148

The common thread with all these social issues, not only here but in every major metropolitan area?

Development; by developers who for too long have relied on quick, ill thought out, in-and-out $trategie$ afforded them by a pliant city council.

Development; that leaves in it's wake, mass destruction of community heritage and affordability, movability and livability designed by "developers" with little no local knowledge of the community, other than the knowledge that, our city council is permanently bent over, and taking any injection of cash regardless of the long term consequences.

Development; which causes a 4.5% tax increase to the populace to cover a portion of a $1Bn plus infrastructure debt, while developers sit smugly in their ivory towers surrounding the valley, sheltered from and absolved of any cause and effect costs for their "developments", which can be seen as a benefit to them and their gloriousness, being afforded them by the minions beneath them, who scramble to pay for all this "development" wealth.

What is the end goal here with all these disjointed "developments"???

No thanks.

Time for some changes to this paradigm in my opinion...

2 people like this post.
Terris
Board Meister

Liked in: 290 posts

Postby AltaRed » Dec 17th, 2018, 10:34 pm

stang22 wrote:How about improving our water quality in rose valley and area before sticking soccer domes up. Sucks having to get bottled water all year. seriously!!

That is a West Kelowna issue not relevant to Kelowna, but as a WK resident, water quality is a hot button issue for me too. The problem is the Irrigation District fiefdoms were permitted to carry on way too long and they had no incentive to bring water quality up to higher provincial standards. So now we get Water Quality advisories on the same water we were drinking before.

There is nothing more that can be done for the moment until they get the new Rose Valley water treatment plant built and that is in progress with full funding. In other words, there is no impact whether the soccer dome gets built or not. We just have to suffer for a few more years BUT we have to make sure all the interconnections between the old irrigation districts take place at the same time the plant goes on stream. Ultimately WK needs another water treatment plant because the Rose Valley reservoir is not going to be enough long term.

soupy likes this post.
AltaRed

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby OgopogoO » Dec 18th, 2018, 10:29 am

It's sad when angry parents use their kids to spout their anti-tax propaganda. What normal Grade 8 student is compelled to write a long and articulate letter to local media about taxes? This is blatant manipulation by an unscrupulous parent. How pathetic. How sad.

Spec tax: we get nothing
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#244779

By a mad-as-hell paren...er...I mean, a Grade 8 student.

2 people like this post.
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan