4.43% Tax Increase

Re: 4.43% Tax Increase

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 18th, 2018, 10:37 am

OgopogoO wrote:It's sad when angry parents use their kids to spout their anti-tax propaganda. What normal Grade 8 student is compelled to write a long and articulate letter to local media about taxes? This is blatant manipulation by an unscrupulous parent. How pathetic. How sad.

Spec tax: we get nothing
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#244779

By a mad-as-hell paren...er...I mean, a Grade 8 student.

I guess you missed the part where it says "Today, we present a series of letters from students at Kelowna Christian School."

Sounds to me more like it was some sort of school assignment given the letters cover a number of topics.

Then again I suppose it could be a herd of "unscrupulous parents." [icon_lol2.gif]
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

2 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7443 posts

Postby my5cents » Dec 18th, 2018, 10:52 am

soupy wrote:
monilynno wrote:At What Point Does Any Level Of Government Begin To Live Within Its Means? It's time for Canadians to stand up and say "This Far And No Further"

I agree!!
They should cut out sewer service and snow plowing. Would save a fortune for tax payers.

I don't know about Kelowna, but in Summerland, our taxes increase a few percent, and ADDED to those tax increases are increases in sewer, garbage, and water rates.

Some services are included in tax dollars, such a snow plowing, but sewers aren't.

In Summerland our district government listens to the local interest groups, so we get new skate parks, cultural centres.

If you removed the patches from our roads there wouldn't be a road, guess we need a local interest group addressing basic infrastructure maintenance.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

normaM likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1559 posts

Postby OgopogoO » Dec 18th, 2018, 11:03 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:I guess you missed the part where it says "Today, we present a series of letters from students at Kelowna Christian School."

Sounds to me more like it was some sort of school assignment given the letters cover a number of topics.

Then again I suppose it could be a herd of "unscrupulous parents." [icon_lol2.gif]

Yeah, because an unscrupulous parent couldn't have suggested the kid write about tax. *removed* no normal kid would write about taxes without being prompted by an adult to do so. Whether it was a parent or a teacher, the kid is being used as an anti-tax propaganda tool :admin:
Last edited by ferri on Dec 18th, 2018, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting

2 people like this post.
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby LTD » Dec 18th, 2018, 11:11 am

OgopogoO wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:I guess you missed the part where it says "Today, we present a series of letters from students at Kelowna Christian School."

Yeah, because an unscrupulous parent couldn't have suggested the kid write about tax. *removed* no normal kid would write about taxes without being prompted by an adult to do so. Whether it was a parent or a teacher, the kid is being used as an anti-tax propaganda tool :admin:

hopefully it was assigned by a teacher kids need to be learning about this stuff especially unfair taxation directed at certain areas of the province

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3586 posts

Postby OgopogoO » Dec 18th, 2018, 11:35 am

LTD wrote:hopefully it was assigned by a teacher kids need to be learning about this stuff especially unfair taxation directed at certain areas of the province

Thanks for confirming my point. :up:
OgopogoO
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby one wheel » Dec 18th, 2018, 11:38 am

Our council must think that a 4.43 % increase is acceptable for this year & that all is well out there ? I wonder how many increases in this range residents can keep absorbing year after year as our city grows ?

2 people like this post.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 402 posts

Postby sublime » Dec 18th, 2018, 12:57 pm

OgopogoO wrote: Yeah, because an unscrupulous parent couldn't have suggested the kid write about tax. *removed* no normal kid would write about taxes without being prompted by an adult to do so. Whether it was a parent or a teacher, the kid is being used as an anti-tax propaganda tool :admin:

These letters are a prime example of youth not independently discovering which party affiliation or platform they should support. "Mommy and Daddy vote (insert party) and say the (insert party) are idiots. Most of those letters are regurgitated spew either influenced by a teacher or family member.

2 people like this post.
sublime
Fledgling

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby cuba108 » Dec 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm

sublime wrote:
OgopogoO wrote: Yeah, because an unscrupulous parent couldn't have suggested the kid write about tax. *removed* no normal kid would write about taxes without being prompted by an adult to do so. Whether it was a parent or a teacher, the kid is being used as an anti-tax propaganda tool :admin:

These letters are a prime example of youth not independently discovering which party affiliation or platform they should support. "Mommy and Daddy vote (insert party) a
nd say the (insert party) are idiots. Most of those letters are regurgitated spew either influenced by a teacher or family member.

These same parents and teachers also use their children and students to espouse their right wing and religious propaganda.

OgopogoO likes this post.
cuba108
Fledgling

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm

cuba108 wrote:These same parents and teachers also use their children and students to espouse their right wing and religious propaganda.

I'm sure you remember being a kid. Kids mimic their parents, whether right-wing or left-wing. Whether religion or non-religious.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12009 posts

Postby W105 » Dec 18th, 2018, 2:24 pm

People wonder why so many retirees live in the Okanagan – because it’s not affordable for young families!

kind of weird that a 13 yr old is basically saying that one day she won't be able to live where she was born and raised...and she obviously doesn't realize that "retirees" need the young to service and pay for their needs..
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4114 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 18th, 2018, 2:28 pm

W105 wrote:People wonder why so many retirees live in the Okanagan – because it’s not affordable for young families!

kind of weird that a 13 yr old is basically saying that one day she won't be able to live where she was born and raised...and she obviously doesn't realize that "retirees" need the young to service and pay for their needs..

What the hell are you talking about? Far more young people are moving to Kelowna than away, unlike Prince George where housing is actually affordable. The reason why Kelowna is so expensive is that all the young families moving to the area are eating up all the supply.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby W105 » Dec 18th, 2018, 2:46 pm

that's what the kid wrote in her letter Glacier..not me ??? did you read the letter ???

and no, it's not the young eating up the supply..it's mostly people cashing out of Vancouver selling crack shacks for $1.8 million and buying a nice house here for $800K and pocketing a cool million for retirement..

2 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Postby Glacier » Dec 18th, 2018, 2:59 pm

W105 wrote:that's what the kid wrote in her letter Glacier..not me ??? did you read the letter ???

and no, it's not the young eating up the supply..it's mostly people cashing out of Vancouver selling crack shacks for $1.8 million and buying a nice house here for $800K and pocketing a cool million for retirement..

Cool, my bad then. I had forgotten about that, and thought it was you. If you compare Kelowna to 100 Mile House and almost every town in BC, the average age is not that high.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby W105 » Dec 18th, 2018, 3:19 pm

yeah it's cool then that you made your self look foolish by being snarky and wrong :) lol

Kelowna was once the hot spot for young families...that's why my parents moved here when they were really young, that's why we started a family here..

once Vancouver got sold out at such outrageous prices (the last good 5 yrs) Kelowna was doomed to become a mini Vancouver...

2 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Postby Glacier » Dec 18th, 2018, 3:28 pm

FYI, the average age in Vancouver is BELOW the BC average! One of the youngest cities in BC!
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan