Door to Door Scam Artist

plumbingdales

Door to Door Scam Artist

Post by plumbingdales »

A fellow in his twenties to thirties about 5'8' grey winter coat ...clean shaven ..short dark hair.... came to our home on creekside road last night saying he was short thirty bucks for a tow truck and his key broke in the ignition and locked him out with out his keys He said his name was Brian and lived two doors down and worked for Kelowna flight craft I smelt bs even though a good story /He did not return an hour later and thought Id check the net .Sure enough some guy is targeting old folks and my mom let him in .I gave him the money ...he was in the house ...better be safe then sorry. Just a warning ...dont let strangers in your home kids. police have been called...security cams going in asap....I just returned here after 5 years ..seems the roaming lawless are on the rise?
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Door to Door Scam Artist

Post by soupy »

plumbingdales wrote:A fellow in his twenties to thirties about 5'8' grey winter coat ...clean shaven ..short dark hair.... came to our home on creekside road last night saying he was short thirty bucks for a tow truck and his key broke in the ignition and locked him out with out his keys He said his name was Brian and lived two doors down and worked for Kelowna flight craft I smelt bs even though a good story /He did not return an hour later and thought Id check the net .Sure enough some guy is targeting old folks and my mom let him in .I gave him the money ...he was in the house ...better be safe then sorry. Just a warning ...dont let strangers in your home kids. police have been called...security cams going in asap....I just returned here after 5 years ..seems the roaming lawless are on the rise?

I'd love for someone trying this scam to knock on my door.
First I'd walk with them out to see their car obviously. Then let them know I'd be happy to help, but would only be giving money directly to the Tow truck company. :smt045
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Let me see your ID with proof of address and I might think about it. It's a scam and I'm surprised people still don't get it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm not - the elderly can be taken in because a lot are vulnerable.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Fancy wrote:I'm not - the elderly can be taken in because a lot are vulnerable.

True. My mom had to talk her friend out of panic the other day because a scammer had called her saying she owed money etc.
The caller listed off the first 4 numbers of my mom's friend's credit card.

My mom "yeah, everyone has those same numbers. Hang up the phone, do not give them any information"

Off topic a bit but funny. Whenever I receive a scam phone call (rarely now) I just ask the caller what they are wearing. When they get confused i ask them specifically to describe the clothes they have on. They hang-up before I do. [icon_lol2.gif]
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Well, first let's see your car with the key in the ignition.

If not, we advance to "release the hounds" part of the evening.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:I'm not - the elderly can be taken in because a lot are vulnerable.

True, even when you tell them over and over they can still get caught up in these scams.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Even Steven wrote:Well, first let's see your car with the key in the ignition.

If not, we advance to "release the hounds" part of the evening.

Yep!
Hey buddy, I'll come with you and if it's true I'll give you $40.
If it's a scam I'll start whacking you in the head.
Are you sure you need the $30?

When they start talking I like to ask this question;
is this conversation going to lead to you asking for money?
It cuts a few of them off at the pass.

*bleep*.
Extra boots for targeting old people.

Return to “Central Okanagan”