...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea....

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby GordonH » Dec 24th, 2018, 2:16 pm

dgb wrote:Financally catastrophic, yes, but no loss of life. I believe the buildings are still there, too? They were last week, anyway

Urban Cowboy wrote:True but the point was we don't need to go far to find examples of substandard workmanship.

You should check out the workmanship in the tallest structure on that same road. It's an eye opener too.

I have no issue with high rises, but I do with terrible work quality, so based on what I've encountered I'd say Kelowna is in dire need of better inspectors, as well as contractors that understand how to use a level.


impo part of the problem is rushing building sites i.e vast majority of the area north of Harvey & west of Ethel was reclaimed swamp land.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22977
Likes: 2778 posts
Liked in: 8720 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 24th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:
dgb wrote:I'm not an engineer, either, but I don't think we should stop building highrises in Kelowna due to the structural failure of a building in Australia. If/when it is safe to do so, the Australians will be looking for root causes, i.e. human error, environmental, or both.

I don't recall any catastrophic structural failures of any high rises in Canada, but I am fully prepared to be corrected on that point :-)


I'd call the mess that transpired at Discovery Bay Condos catastrophic, at least to the original purchasers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... e-1.597022

http://blog.myleakycondo.com/index.php? ... logId=1060



Scrobins94 wrote:A couple of issues with your post.

1) Discovery Bay is NOT a highrise
2)The first article states that:
The engineer determined some of the load-bearing walls are not up to code, and the building is vulnerable to strong winds and earthquakes.

So in reality your post is more a reference towards a non-compliance code issue in a lowrise.


Yes and with the demonstrated incompetence in a much smaller structure, it simply raises the concern for how well a high rise will be built.

Isn't ensuring that structures ARE built according to code the responsibility of qualified city inspectors?

BTW there's one just across from Discovery Bay that stands 25 stories tall, and is a wonderful example of how not to build a high rise.

It's also another example of how inspectors are either incompetent or willing to look the other way.

This is not a great situation to be in for a town embracing high rises more and more.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5155
Likes: 5424 posts
Liked in: 7423 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby seewood » Dec 24th, 2018, 2:24 pm

:panic: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lea ... -of-santos

Saw this last night on Discovery Science program.

Same happen here? I sure hope not.

Another article: https://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/04/t ... razil.html
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod
 
Posts: 1514
Likes: 3760 posts
Liked in: 1499 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 24th, 2018, 2:31 pm

seewood wrote::panic: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lea ... -of-santos

Saw this last night on Discovery Science program.

Same happen here? I sure hope not.


It well could if a few people don't know what they're doing. After all swamp land isn't exactly the best foundation for high rise buildings.

There are solutions to just about any such issues, but those often substantially increase construction costs, thus encouraging cheaper solutions be found, whether they work as well or not.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5155
Likes: 5424 posts
Liked in: 7423 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Hassel99 » Dec 24th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Better outlaw the automobile, I hear some crash!

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3758
Likes: 1182 posts
Liked in: 3335 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 24th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Is there anyway that a "dislike" button can be put on these forums?
We See
We Judge

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2698
Likes: 2211 posts
Liked in: 1559 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:Is there anyway that a "dislike" button can be put on these forums?


Not too likely given that Castanet is the land of sunshine and roses.

Negativity is verboten. :biggrin:
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

OKkayak likes this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5155
Likes: 5424 posts
Liked in: 7423 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Terris » Dec 24th, 2018, 6:20 pm

This is already happening here and is already being downplayed by those in charge.

It's just a matter of time before we see a catastrophic failure. This is why the Stobert group, with their previous local knowledge of the geology, pulled pout of their KSS site highrise.

My bet is on the Westcorp hotel/luxury condo view blocker being the straw that breaks the development camel's back...
Terris
Board Meister
 
Posts: 596
Likes: 349 posts
Liked in: 348 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2014, 10:55 am

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Grandan » Dec 25th, 2018, 8:05 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Yes and with the demonstrated incompetence in a much smaller structure, it simply raises the concern for how well a high rise will be built.

Isn't ensuring that structures ARE built according to code the responsibility of qualified city inspectors?

BTW there's one just across from Discovery Bay that stands 25 stories tall, and is a wonderful example of how not to build a high rise.

It's also another example of how inspectors are either incompetent or willing to look the other way.

This is not a great situation to be in for a town embracing high rises more and more.

All structures over 10,000 square ft; commercial buildings and multifamily building all require a Professional Engineer. Once the Engineer is in charge, the building inspectors job is redundant. Engineers are responsible for their own work. They are insured.
Engineers make mistakes, that is a fact. Sometimes it is a failure by workmen who fail to follow good practice, for example removing form-work too soon and having a slab drop.
Buildings like the Grand are constructed on a raft slab that is 8 ft. deep. Other buildings are set on pilings driven deep in the earth. Which method to use is based on Geo technical studies of the actual site.
You can slam an inspector all you want but it is beyond the ability of a city inspector to look at every reinforced concrete beam, slab and column reinforcing steel installation and "know" that it is correct. He would need to be on the site full time to inspect everything. That is why the engineer has a trained inspector do the work for him.
You do know that there are Engineered drawing prepared in advance, that every piece of reinforcing steel is calculated for proper size and spacing? Workers install that steel and place the concrete in accordance with the drawings but mistakes still occur.
It is a fact that most buildings are over designed to a factor of 2 times. That is to compensate for any design errors, onsite errors and so on. The building code does not address detailed design. If a building fails it is the Engineer who takes the rap. You clearly do not have a clue what you are talking about.
Waste not

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2028
Likes: 224 posts
Liked in: 953 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby vegas1500 » Dec 25th, 2018, 10:20 am

BTW there's one just across from Discovery Bay that stands 25 stories tall, and is a wonderful example of how not to build a high rise.


Which one are you referring to?
User avatar
vegas1500
Übergod
 
Posts: 1526
Likes: 4374 posts
Liked in: 2015 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 25th, 2018, 10:35 am

vegas1500 wrote:
BTW there's one just across from Discovery Bay that stands 25 stories tall, and is a wonderful example of how not to build a high rise.


Which one are you referring to?


Sky Tower.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5155
Likes: 5424 posts
Liked in: 7423 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby vegas1500 » Dec 25th, 2018, 10:42 am

Which one are you referring to?


Sky Tower
.

Curious why you say that. I’ve been told from a friend whom owns a construction company in kelowna, that the Waterscapes complex is very well built.
User avatar
vegas1500
Übergod
 
Posts: 1526
Likes: 4374 posts
Liked in: 2015 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 25th, 2018, 10:53 am

vegas1500 wrote:
Which one are you referring to?


Sky Tower
.

Curious why you say that. I’ve been told from a friend whom owns a construction company in kelowna, that the Waterscapes complex is very well built.


Because I worked there for several months, which entailed entering every unit in the building, thus I saw first hand the quality of the work.

The townhouse part of the project is fine. Those were built very well, but the tower is a whole other story.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

vegas1500 likes this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5155
Likes: 5424 posts
Liked in: 7423 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby GordonH » Dec 25th, 2018, 10:58 am

One of the 10+ story building in downtown area of Kelowna, had issues after completion condo owners had problems with opening & closing doors.

This goes back to my earlier post about what this area once was.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22977
Likes: 2778 posts
Liked in: 8720 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: ...another reason skyrise buildings are not a great idea

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 25th, 2018, 11:00 am

Grandan wrote: You clearly do not have a clue what you are talking about.


While you appear to be resorting to the s :cuss: t happens excuse in the course of defending bad workmanship.

Home buyers don't give a hoot about the passing the buck game, they just want what they paid for and are entitled to receive.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5155
Likes: 5424 posts
Liked in: 7423 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Symbonite, voice of reason and 13 guests