Plans for Old RCMP Building (Post-Demolition)

Re: Plans for Old RCMP Building (Post-Demolition)

Postby the truth » Dec 27th, 2018, 10:04 pm

love it......
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6429 posts

Postby JayByrd » Dec 29th, 2018, 8:32 pm

the truth wrote:

whats so hard to understand you want a theater instead of a homeless shelter, are you not pro homeless do you not want to help the homeless

I don't even know what "pro-homeless" means, and you probably don't either so I won't ask you to explain it. If you've paid attention to what I write, you'll know that I'm generally in favour of compassion towards all people, even if they don't really deserve it (Jesus was big on that). What I'm against is your "someone oughta do something" fantasy solutions to poverty, addiction, and crime. But lately you've been content just to have someone to blame.

I'm in support of turning the former RCMP site into a large theatre, but I don't believe this will happen.

Now, truthie, you've got a nice yard. How many folks could sleep out there do you think?
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1433 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 29th, 2018, 9:58 pm

i do my share for the homeless, my taxes pay for everything they are being given
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6429 posts

Postby JayByrd » Dec 30th, 2018, 9:00 am

the truth wrote:i do my share for the homeless, my taxes pay for everything they are being given

Oh I wasn't saying you aren't doing your part. I was just busting on you by suggesting you turn your own property into a shelter. But it's funny you mentioned taxes.

We all pay our taxes. So we can all throw our hands up and say it's not our fault. This does nothing to solve the problem though.

I paid for smoke detectors in my home. And my tax dollars pay for a well-trained, well-equipped fire department. But if my house catches fire, I don't just stand there in the smoke and flames and say I did my bit. I'm going to have to do a little more to get myself out of that situation.

Or I can just sit there and let my house burn down, content in the knowledge that it wasn't my fault.

Think of that house as the city of Kelowna, and the fire as crime and addiction. Are you putting out the fire, or paying your taxes and hoping someone else will?

Again, I'll direct you to understand what I've written. I've never said the City is handling the issue of crime and street drugs correctly. Nor have I said we need one more shelter or ten more shelters. But I have said that closing the shelters and cutting off services won't help either. I have said that the idea of work camps or forced sobriety are straight fantasies.

This isn't a problem that government can solve. No amount of funding or good ideas will make it go away. Society is broken, and it's producing broken people who can't function. Not all of them are homeless either. Some are smart enough to live comfortable lives, despite the utter destruction they cause. You probably know a few of those, most of us do.

There is no solution, except to fix these broken families before the damage has gone too far. You can blame Colin Basran or the people who run shelters or Justin Trudeau or Hillary Clinton or whomever you want. It might make you feel better but it won't change anything.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

spooker likes this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1433 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan