Carcass discovery

Carcass discovery

Postby smoky500 » Dec 28th, 2018, 5:57 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -discovery

poor comments from CO, hunting season long over and 4 carcasses is too many for one hunter, would like to have heard some comments on poaching and how to report it.
smoky500
Fledgling

Liked in: 58 posts

Re: Carcass discovery

Postby voice of reason » Dec 28th, 2018, 6:33 pm

they went out for a walk to see nature and they saw some nature. a carcass isnt going to jump up and bite you. walk on by and mind your business. i wouldnt be letting it ruin my day thats for sure
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1022 posts

Postby bigtimeoperations » Dec 28th, 2018, 6:52 pm

People should expect to see these types of things in the back country. However, that doesn't mean carcasses should be dumped in high profile areas. They need to be dumped further out, not right beside the road and literally 50 meters outside city limits.

voice of reason likes this post.
bigtimeoperations

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby Farmmaa » Dec 29th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Yeah, right at the side of a well used road isn't exactly the back country. :swear:

The one carcass looks fairly old, so could have been legally shot during hunting season but the one beside the sign is really fresh. Since they left the little doe intact, I'd say that perhaps another vehicle was coming and they got out of there before they could do anything with her.

Way too many 'hunters' who are simply too lazy to drag a carcass back into the bush and away from roads, trails and camping sites.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2576 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 30th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Those are just dumped there by road crews after they were hit by vehicles. The one that is on the pavement was dragged there by a coyote. The intact one has road rash on it consistent with being hit by a vehicle.

The road crews could have dumped them in a less conspicuous spot, but Gillard becomes a sheet of ice and is really steep just past this point, so they took the easy way out and dumped them in the "safe" spot. Move along city kids, nothing to see here except nature making use of a valuable protein source.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

7 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4494 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Dec 30th, 2018, 3:26 pm

7 coyote and the vultures are happy..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

voice of reason likes this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2324 posts

Postby Farmmaa » Dec 30th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:Those are just dumped there by road crews after they were hit by vehicles. The one that is on the pavement was dragged there by a coyote. The intact one has road rash on it consistent with being hit by a vehicle.

The road crews could have dumped them in a less conspicuous spot, but Gillard becomes a sheet of ice and is really steep just past this point, so they took the easy way out and dumped them in the "safe" spot. Move along city kids, nothing to see here except nature making use of a valuable protein source.

I'm not a city kid, thanks.
I don't care who dumped them there..... no excuse to just chuck carcasses right on the roadway.

You really shouldn't have to step over dead animals in order to enjoy a hike.

There are hundreds of spots around here to drive a few minutes and find a spot to toss them where only the scavengers can find them.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2576 posts

Postby MAPearce » Dec 30th, 2018, 6:55 pm

There are hundreds of spots around here to drive a few minutes and find a spot to toss them where only the scavengers can find them.

Like any garbage can in this city ???

Scavengers are smart . They know is easy pickins in town ..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4483 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 31st, 2018, 11:26 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:Those are just dumped there by road crews after they were hit by vehicles. The one that is on the pavement was dragged there by a coyote. The intact one has road rash on it consistent with being hit by a vehicle.

I guess some of those out on a "nature" hike, are only interested in seeing the cutesy aspect of nature, with no interest in knowing or seeing how nature feeds its residents.

Also if a deer gets hit by a vehicle, but survives just long enough to lay down in your back yard before it dies, there is no one who will come and take it away. That privilege is left up to the homeowner and can be somewhat of a challenge also. Learned that lesson the hard way.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 6675 posts

Postby Leifer » Dec 31st, 2018, 11:48 am

Those carcasses will not last long out there anyway.
Even the bones and cartilage get used up by mother natures recycling program.

Really thought it was too cold out for melting snowflakes.......
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

dirtybiker likes this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 999 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2018, 11:54 am

You seem to have an inside knowledge or source on the matter. Would you be able to pass on the "could have" part in a gentle and polite way?

And if leaving garbage out which attracts bears, "a fed bear is a dead bear" can result in a fine from by-laws, what does this conspicious spot near homes say about attracting coyotes and maybe bears in Spring?

I am no city person and have photographed my share of carcesses, bones and fur. But even I would find four in one spot hard to take in. And I agree on one point GF, that nature is wild and often messy should not shock nature hikers. You should see the butterfly photos on bear poop I took. :biggrin:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

RustyCrayon likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14148 posts

Postby RustyCrayon » Dec 31st, 2018, 3:15 pm

Queen K wrote: I am no city person and have photographed my share of carcesses, bones and fur. But even I would find four in one spot hard to take in. And I agree on one point GF, that nature is wild and often messy should not shock nature hikers. You should see the butterfly photos on bear poop I took. :biggrin:

I agree. I have also come across quite a few carcasses while out hiking. I am not bothered by it, and like Queen K, I have also photographed them and have even created some illustrations of them. But four of carcasses together, tossed about at a trail head is completely different. As previously mentioned, it can create issues with other wild animals scavenging while people are wandering around with their kids and dogs. Several years ago I came across a couple of dumped deer carcasses next to a hiking trail. There was a very big black bear dining on them. It was pretty unsafe/scary for everyone who liked to walk their dogs in the area.

Oh and I would love to see Queen K's butterfly on bear poop photos! :D

Queen K likes this post.
RustyCrayon
Fledgling

Liked in: 331 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2018, 6:20 pm

Oh Rustycrayon, you're on. I'll edit them down some more, refine and publish. As an aside: I got photos of the fieldfare in Salmon Arm and am headed back tomorrow for more :sunshine:

As for the carcasses, it is strange that the road crew would not be charged for careless actions or fined.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

RustyCrayon likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14148 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 31st, 2018, 8:36 pm

Queen K wrote:

You seem to have an inside knowledge or source on the matter. Would you be able to pass on the "could have" part in a gentle and polite way?

And if leaving garbage out which attracts bears, "a fed bear is a dead bear" can result in a fine from by-laws, what does this conspicious spot near homes say about attracting coyotes and maybe bears in Spring?

I am no city person and have photographed my share of carcesses, bones and fur. But even I would find four in one spot hard to take in. And I agree on one point GF, that nature is wild and often messy should not shock nature hikers. You should see the butterfly photos on bear poop I took. :biggrin:

Carcasses are food for the forest, not garbage at all. Lots of critters depend on that protein source for survival. There's nothing there that would attract a bear in the spring - it will be completely cleaned up. Dogs are required to be on leash in a wildlife area, so law-abiders should have nothing to worry about when walking their pets, right?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4494 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 31st, 2018, 8:42 pm

Dead deer are attractants to cats etc who are then attracted to dogs on leash. And there are bears that may not hibernate if the weather is good and there's food.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7047 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan