Carcass discovery

Re: Carcass discovery

Postby Gone_Fishin » Dec 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm

Fancy wrote:Dead deer are attractants to cats etc who are then attracted to dogs on leash. And there are bears that may not hibernate if the weather is good and there's food.

There are no bears out now. And cats aren't interested in road kill when the hills above Kettle Valley area are full of resident and wintering deer right now. If you don't want to encounter wild animals, stay home.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4080 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 31st, 2018, 7:52 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:There are no bears out now. And cats aren't interested in road kill when the hills above Kettle Valley area are full of resident and wintering deer right now. If you don't want to encounter wild animals, stay home.

I never said I don't want to encounter wild animals - love seeing them all - just not as road kill or in a habitat that makes it unsafe for pets and children. Seems cats are wandering through neighbourhoods so I wouldn't say they aren't interested in road kill if they come across one.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6546 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2018, 10:09 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Queen K wrote:You seem to have an inside knowledge or source on the matter. Would you be able to pass on the "could have" part in a gentle and polite way?

And if leaving garbage out which attracts bears, "a fed bear is a dead bear" can result in a fine from by-laws, what does this conspicious spot near homes say about attracting coyotes and maybe bears in Spring?

I am no city person and have photographed my share of carcesses, bones and fur. But even I would find four in one spot hard to take in. And I agree on one point GF, that nature is wild and often messy should not shock nature hikers. You should see the butterfly photos on bear poop I took. :biggrin:

Carcasses are food for the forest, not garbage at all. Lots of critters depend on that protein source for survival. There's nothing there that would attract a bear in the spring - it will be completely cleaned up. Dogs are required to be on leash in a wildlife area, so law-abiders should have nothing to worry about when walking their pets, right?

Oh agreed, I'd never argue the point otherwise and if my post implied that they were garbage, I'm not sure how.
But I am saying, if garbage is bad to leave out near houses, why is it okay to leave carcasses so close to homes?

I fully understand the circle of life!
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13769 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jan 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am

bigtimeoperations wrote:People should expect to see these types of things in the back country. However, that doesn't mean carcasses should be dumped in high profile areas. They need to be dumped further out, not right beside the road and literally 50 meters outside city limits.

Likely the same people who will drive six miles into the bush on a logging road and dump their *bleep* stained mattresses.

Queen K likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2934 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan