The stats we DON'T hear about drug OD's....

Re: The stats we DON'T hear about drug OD's....

Postby bjsilent » Jan 3rd, 2019, 8:26 am

Theres one guy who i have personally narcanned ten times in the past year. Few months ago we narcanned him twice in one day. I see him almost every day pan handling and being a complete nuisance. Eventually people wont bother with trying to bring him back!

littlebratt likes this post.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Liked in: 478 posts

Postby dle » Jan 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am

bjsilent wrote:Theres one guy who i have personally narcanned ten times in the past year. Few months ago we narcanned him twice in one day. I see him almost every day pan handling and being a complete nuisance. Eventually people wont bother with trying to bring him back!

...and IMHO this is just proves my long beaked about attitude towards this situation. He is one of the ones who is obviously too mentally ill to have his choices left up to him, totally fried, and in order to ACTUALLY help him he NEEDS to be found and admitted to long term rehab/psychiatric care, either with or without his consent. Someone in his family, if has any, needs to be named committee, and sign the papers to get him the help he so obviously and desperately needs. If not, then the cops need to bring him in and get him into the PROPER system. Leaving him out there is just cruel and all the do-gooders in favour of "harm reduction" should take another look at it. The rest, the "narcanning", isn't giving him what he needs. It keeps him alive from hit to hit alright - and I guess that makes it easier for the proponents of "harm reduction" instead of REAL treatment to sleep at night - but 5 minutes later he's still a junkie looking for his next fix and *bleep* that his last one was taken away from him with Naloxone! Not exactly the frame of mind needed to kick the habit.

I hope this guy makes it - but it won't be because of Naloxone. All it will take is that one time when there is no Naloxone and he'll be gone. If he gets into long term treatment he has a much better chance of living to see another day. They say they give them Naloxone so they will have the chance to talk about their addictions and seek help. They DON'T. They aren't capable of doing that when they get to the stage he apparently is.

littlebratt likes this post.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 2272 posts

Postby dle » Jan 3rd, 2019, 10:43 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/24 ... ving-an-OD

Even though Bailey wants MORE safe injection sites, his story is exactly why I feel the BEST route in the fight against drug use is getting off the drugs, NOT continued use enabled by "wet facilities", safe injection sites, no rules, and naloxone shots that might work THIS time but not next time...note: the one ALIVE is the RECOVERED drug addict, and the one DECEASED was the one still using......

The day after one of his closest friends died alone in his bedroom from an opioid overdose, Brandon Bailey started sharing his cellphone number across social media.

The recovered drug addict from Windsor, Ont., has a message for other users: If you're going to use, call me.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 2272 posts

Postby WheelWeaves » Jan 4th, 2019, 8:42 am

Opioid addicts are dead already.

Some of them spazz out when they are saved from Od'ing as they can't get high for a while after, and assault their saviors.

It's bull, they should be given one shot to quit, all the bells and whistles, therapy, rehab, healthcare, and after that, cut the friggin cord.
They have checked out in their heads, let them fulfill their wish.
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Liked in: 169 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 4th, 2019, 9:20 am

I just thought of a potential learning opportunity for this drug / OD epidemic.

User goes to a highschool. Entire gym class full of students watch user cook up gross drugs, inject themselves, get high and then get revived in front of their eyes.

**In high school (20 years ago for me) we had a speaker talk to us who had lip/tongue cancer from smoking and chewing tobacco. Listening seeing this guy speak to us with a deformed mouth in which muscle and skin from his *bleep* was used to repair his face had a lasting effect on me.

holdin likes this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 686 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan