$20K stolen from school

$20K stolen from school

Postby dontrump » Jan 6th, 2019, 10:35 am

well this is the second time in the last year this happened They know whos responsible and still no charges laid in the first case
man talk about government/police inefficiency ..

these school participation groups need to police themselves in a far more effective and expediate manner that's a given

The burb about can not supply them(kids) with hot meals in my opinion that should have never been part of the criteria in the first place ;; its not the job of anyone other than the parents to look after this situation and if they cant then the welfare
people should be involved not schools or school groups or programs
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 704 posts

Re: $20K stolen from school

Postby my5cents » Jan 6th, 2019, 11:07 am

dontrump wrote:well this is the second time in the last year this happened They know whos responsible and still no charges laid in the first case

these school participation groups need to police themselves in a far more effective and expediate manner that's a given

The burb about can not supply them(kids) with hot meals in my opinion that should have never been part of the criteria in the first place ;; its not the job of anyone other than the parents to look after this situation and if they cant then the welfare

….. and if the parents don't have anything, perhaps debtor's prison ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1452 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 6th, 2019, 11:48 am

I thought it required 3 signatures in order to access money to pay bills ? Is no one watching anything anymore ?

I'd say the odds of getting this money back are next to none ?
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 314 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 6th, 2019, 1:35 pm

one wheel wrote:I thought it required 3 signatures in order to access money to pay bills ? Is no one watching anything anymore ?

if that is true(3 signatures)then they really have some seriously dumbass people running these deals

Bpeep likes this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby dontrump » Jan 6th, 2019, 1:39 pm

my5cents wrote:
dontrump wrote:well this is the second time in the last year this happened They know whos responsible and still no charges laid in the first case

….. and if the parents don't have anything, perhaps debtor's prison ?

not sure what your trying to say here what does it have to do with my opinion post;; I seriously doubt there is a family alive these days in BC that where the kids go without food and all iam saying is the school systems are not designed nor should they be used for child welfare such as food thats all iam saying

we have a extremely expensive and rather well staffed welfare system in BC designed for such things
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby my5cents » Jan 6th, 2019, 4:00 pm

dontrump wrote:not sure what your trying to say here what does it have to do with my opinion post;; I seriously doubt there is a family alive these days in BC that where the kids go without food and all iam saying is the school systems are not designed nor should they be used for child welfare such as food thats all iam saying

we have a extremely expensive and rather well staffed welfare system in BC designed for such things

I guess this will come as a shock to you, but in some cases the money, and thus the benefits, that are received from Social Services by parents doesn't reach the children. In some cases it's not a lack of food, it's a lack of good nutritious food.

You must have seen shopping carts in grocery stores, with nothing but, junk food ? Those who have been raised in a challenging environment, with limited education, don't become adults and all of a sudden know nutritious food from junk. They do have children though.

You actually believe : "seriously doubt there is a family alive these days in BC that where the kids go without food" ?

You can have the most expensive, well staff Social Services department. That doesn't guarantee the benefits filter down (enough) so that the children are well cared for.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/the-conve ... _23513915/
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the ... -1.4268918
https://www.macleans.ca/society/health/ ... d-program/
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

RVThereYet likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1452 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I believe this is the news item being referred to:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... rom-school
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7047 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 6th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Investigations don't happen overnight. Hot lunches have been in the school system for decades so no point in complaining about them now. My high school had hot lunches. Parents helped raise these monies so it is a blow to lose the funds meant to supplement education and goes towards playgrounds as well. It's going to take time to find out how it happened and why it took so long to discover.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

common_sense_guy likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7047 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 6th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Hot food or just meals is just not the responsibility of any school district and the reason these investigations take so long is the people doing it have no accountability and answer to no one ;; there is ZERO reason for theses cases to take even 1/3 the time they do
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby RVThereYet » Jan 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm

dontrump wrote: not sure what your trying to say here what does it have to do with my opinion post;; I seriously doubt there is a family alive these days in BC that where the kids go without food and all iam saying is the school systems are not designed nor should they be used for child welfare such as food thats all iam saying

Based on your chosen user name I'm going to take this as an "alternate fact" or "fake news" ... because I seriously doubt you fact checked your statement.

4 people like this post.
RVThereYet
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 579 posts

Postby Treblehook » Jan 6th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Unlikely that the culprit is a criminal mastermind, so determining who the guilty party is should be accomplished without too much difficulty. Maybe the lack of deterrence in the form of adequate penalties is conducive to individuals with lower principles stealing from their neighbors and their neighbor's children. Folks who commit this kind of crime really need to pay a price for their actions.

Bsuds likes this post.
Treblehook
Übergod

Liked in: 1349 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 6th, 2019, 8:10 pm

dontrump wrote: not sure what your trying to say here what does it have to do with my opinion post;; I seriously doubt there is a family alive these days in BC that where the kids go without food and all iam saying is the school systems are not designed nor should they be used for child welfare such as food thats all iam saying

RVThereYet wrote:
Based on your chosen user name I'm going to take this as an "alternate fact" or "fake news" ... because I seriously doubt you fact checked your statement.

I suspect the chances of your statement being right are much greater than his.
I know the voices aren't real but they sure do come up with some good ideas!

TMBOkanagan likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11940 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:40 pm

dontrump wrote:Hot food or just meals is just not the responsibility of any school district and the reason these investigations take so long is the people doing it have no accountability and answer to no one ;; there is ZERO reason for theses cases to take even 1/3 the time they do

Neither the District nor the school itself is providing meals. The PAC is. They are separate entities.

Many PACs offer small, simple meals for students, not because they feel obligated, but because they think it's important for kids to have a half decent meal. They don't spend time and energy debating whom ought to be providing it, they just do it. Most people don't have a problem with a hungry kid receiving some food.

And yes...in most cases, PAC's are made up of well-meaning volunteers. This opens the door for things like this to happen, unfortunately.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

Tony likes this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1488 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:09 am

I think 20K is a fair bit of change to have fall out of a coffee can & go missing before anyone noticed ? So how much did they have altogether & where did it come from, bottle drives & bake sales ? I doubt it ?

If the PACs people are separate from the District they should have some real 'splaining' to do as to how this could occur ?

This is serious & should be treated as such not a - oh well - things happen lets move along deal.
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 314 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Jan 7th, 2019, 8:25 am

one wheel wrote:I thought it required 3 signatures in order to access money to pay bills ? Is no one watching anything anymore ?

IME, non-profits usually require 2 signatures on cheques. Often though, that 2nd person either doesn’t look very hard at what they are signing or is uncomfortable with questioning a fellow volunteer.

I agree with you that money is gone and even with a conviction it will never come back. The thief will have a sob story and will go on with their life while the rest ofthe PAC members will have to pick up the pieces.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 523 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan