$20K stolen from school

Re: $20K stolen from school

Postby Bsuds » Jan 7th, 2019, 7:35 am

If there were 2 signatures required then the person who did not do their due diligence should be held liable for the funds as well as the person who stole them. If that person for instance signed a blank cheque.
Apparently engaging in Sex on a regular basis is beneficial to having a good memory.

I just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year for 2014.

the truth likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11556 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 7th, 2019, 7:56 am

one wheel wrote:I think 20K is a fair bit of change to have fall out of a coffee can & go missing before anyone noticed ? So how much did they have altogether & where did it come from, bottle drives & bake sales ? I doubt it ?

If the PACs people are separate from the District they should have some real 'splaining' to do as to how this could occur ?

This is serious & should be treated as such not a - oh well - things happen lets move along deal.

I don't think anyone is regarding it that way. But we do know that PACs are made up of volunteers, often with a very small group of people making most of the decisions, and not necessarily following best practices. That's how dishonest people are able to do things like this.

And if the money didn't come from regular fundraising efforts, where do *you* think it came from? Are you suggesting this PAC is a front for something else?
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1433 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 7th, 2019, 7:58 am

And by the way, the hot lunches referred to in the article are not provided for free. They are an option that parents can purchase. They are one of the ways PACs raise money.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1433 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 7th, 2019, 9:24 am

Bsuds wrote:If there were 2 signatures required then the person who did not do their due diligence should be held liable for the funds as well as the person who stole them. If that person for instance signed a blank cheque.

unless the second person is also involved, happens alot
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6430 posts

Postby one wheel » Jan 7th, 2019, 9:42 am

We continuously hear about shortfalls in funding in our schools for programs. That school isn't that large, how did their PAC account become so huge that 20K went missing & not empty the account ? Where does that money come from ?

It must be a crushing blow to the caring PAC volunteers who donate their time to make things better for their school ?

the truth likes this post.
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 7th, 2019, 9:54 am

one wheel wrote:We continuously hear about shortfalls in funding in our schools for programs. That school isn't that large, how did their PAC account become so huge that 20K went missing & not empty the account ? Where does that money come from ?

It must be a crushing blow to the caring PAC volunteers who donate their time to make things better for their school ?

I don't think lack of funding for programs has anything to do with what monies PAC raises. Right now the Glenrosa school has raised approximately half of the $20,000 that went missing through donations and support of a charity event. There are bake sales and other events that raise money through parents' generosity.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6545 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 7th, 2019, 9:56 am

dontrump wrote:Hot food or just meals is just not the responsibility of any school district and the reason these investigations take so long is the people doing it have no accountability and answer to no one ;; there is ZERO reason for theses cases to take even 1/3 the time they do
You don't seem to understand what is involved. It does take time to follow a paper trail and there's more than police involvement that can take time to sort out. Four months isn't very long. And no one said hot food is the responsibility of the school district.

my5cents likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby one wheel » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:39 am

Yes "Fancy" you are right I don't understand ? What is the reason for a small school to require these amounts of money to be left sitting in a PAC account ?
Shouldn't it be necessary to have a plan as to where this money will be spent during the year & not left to accumulate & be open to "getting borrowed" by a volunteer needing a short term loan ?

You are just skirting the issue when talking about lunches. You don't seem to get the idea that 20K has been stolen & most likely won't be repaid & there won't be any consequences either ?
one wheel
Fledgling

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:46 am

one wheel wrote:Yes "Fancy" you are right I don't understand ?

What part of a police investigation taking time don't you understand?
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:48 am

one wheel wrote:What is the reason for a small school to require these amounts of money to be left sitting in a PAC account ?
Shouldn't it be necessary to have a plan as to where this money will be spent during the year & not left to accumulate & be open to "getting borrowed" by a volunteer needing a short term loan ?

Why not address that to the PAC? They have regular meetings to discuss those type of issues and what the money is earmarked for. Field trips, hot lunches and busses cost money.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:50 am

one wheel wrote:You are just skirting the issue when talking about lunches.

No, I'm not.

one wheel wrote:You don't seem to get the idea that 20K has been stolen & most likely won't be repaid & there won't be any consequences either ?

lol - of course I get it. I've actually read up on it and since it's in the news I think it's common knowledge the amount stolen in the Glenrosa theft won't be repaid. It remains to be seen what will happen on completion of the investigation. You might want to wait and see how that plays out.

As far as your idea for no consequences, I'm surprised you aren't aware of this:

A woman has been sentenced for defrauding a Surrey elementary school of at least $20,000 meant to fund a new playground for students.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4798553
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby GordonH » Jan 7th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Who ever has taken the money should be found & charged, have their day in court. If found guilty then sentence to jail, end of story.
Anyone else thinking of doing the same thing, will think twice.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7930 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Fancy » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:08 pm

The thieves are known and removed from their position. That's a start.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby spooker » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm

As part of my child's PAC I do know that having $20K in the bank is not unusual ... we fund raise and get grants from various sources to help fund that much of the school each year while still having an "emergency" cushion if the &%[email protected]* hits the fan ... we get asked by the school to help buy furniture for the library in the thousands of dollars ... and the amount in the bank has to reflect the number of students at the school, the larger the school the larger the bank account will need to be to have an effective amount for each student ...

Sadly the government doesn't fund schools enough and the public doesn't pressure them to make it any more important even though the experience and education they receive from public schools directly affects the continued success of our democracy ...

I handle the organisation of our hot lunch program which raises money for activities and assets ... chocolate sales, movie nights, etc being other fundraising opportunities ... our PAC even puts up some of the money for the older kids to go on the end-of-year camping trip ... glad to answer any reasonable questions about the parts I have knowledge about ... but no, I am not the treasurer or part of the approved signing group ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 758 posts

Postby my5cents » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:50 pm

GordonH wrote:Who ever has taken the money should be found & charged, have their day in court. If found guilty then sentence to jail, end of story.
Anyone else thinking of doing the same thing, will think twice.

Yes, but you know that's not going to happen. They are down on their luck, they this, they that, came from a broken family etc etc. $500 fine with time to pay and 2 years probation.

Someone who steals from this type of organization, while pretending to be caring for it's assets should be held to a higher standard than your "good old" run of the mill thief but it's not going to happen.

This is Canada.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Bpeep likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1340 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan