Cops take 30 drunks off roads in Penticton - Kelowna?

Cops take 30 drunks off roads in Penticton - Kelowna?

Postby dle » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:00 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -off-roads

Great! Soooo, how many did Kelowna cops take off the roads over the same period? Any article on this and I've just missed it?

Maybe it would help for those of us who believe we have no cops in Kelowna because we rarely see one, to actually see articles that prove we do have cops that do cop things like take drunks off the roads and how many they snag! The cops should provide this information to the reporters right? When they are asked for it do they give it? Be nice to see the breakdown between roadside suspensions and actual blotto impaired drivers too.
dle
Übergod

Liked in: 2272 posts

Re: Cops take 30 drunks off roads in Penticton - Kelowna?

Postby OKkayak » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:11 pm

If they take drunks off the road, then they take drunks off the road. I see no need to publish any stats about it.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 3009 posts

Postby pentona » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:25 pm

But how many of these 28 were actually charged with the criminal offence of Impaired driving? I would bet very few. The short suspensions do little to stop this insanity of driving while over the legal limit.

note: part of the problem is the time that it takes to process a drunk back at the detachment; this process needs to be streamlined.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 589 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 7th, 2019, 1:27 pm

People who drink and drive impo are just dumb f :cuss: ing idiots. Should be charged under criminal code & have record that follows them.
Since there are alternatives to get them home.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8720 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby gman313 » Jan 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm

pentona wrote:But how many of these 28 were actually charged with the criminal offence of Impaired driving? I would bet very few. The short suspensions do little to stop this insanity of driving while over the legal limit.

note: part of the problem is the time that it takes to process a drunk back at the detachment; this process needs to be streamlined.

its all publicly available info. Let the RCMP do their jobs and if you want stats do the research yourself. Why waste the members time providing you with info,

Canlii, and bc court registries are excellent starting points
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1634 posts

Postby pentona » Jan 7th, 2019, 6:56 pm

gman313 wrote:
its all publicly available info. Let the RCMP do their jobs and if you want stats do the research yourself. Why waste the members time providing you with info,

Canlii, and bc court registries are excellent starting points

I don't care about seeing stats; pretty obvious from past stories that the high majority of drunk driving cases (where they over .08) are not charged as Impaired Driving criminal offences. Its a sad situation as many are still not getting the message. If you happen to be the unlucky one and they DO charge you, it becomes a criminal offence; goes on your record. Good luck travelling to the States or getting a new job, etc. I don't blame the police; its the system that is the problem. Takes too long to process a full impaired driver and takes one or more cops off the road during that time. Things need to change.

2 people like this post.
pentona
Übergod

Postby MAPearce » Jan 7th, 2019, 7:56 pm

pentona wrote:But how many of these 28 were actually charged with the criminal offence of Impaired driving? I would bet very few. The short suspensions do little to stop this insanity of driving while over the legal limit.

I'd like to know also .. And I agree about short suspensions doing anything to stop the madness.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

pentona likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4743 posts

Postby pentona » Jan 7th, 2019, 8:18 pm

MAPearce wrote:
I'd like to know also .. And I agree about short suspensions doing anything to stop the madness.

I do not blame the police; they can only do what they can, with the resources available to them. I blame the system. If everyone who blew over .08 would be charged with Impaired driving, lose their license for 90 days (at least) and be given a criminal record, I think people would think twice about having that 2nd or third (or more) drink. I'm surprised that M.A.D.D. isn't pushing more for stiffer penalties for every suspension.

Note: myself, I make it a policy to have no more than one drink, period if I ever get behind the wheel. It works for me and I don't have to worry about being stopped.
pentona
Übergod

Postby MAPearce » Jan 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I do not blame the police; they can only do what they can, with the resources available to them. I blame the system. If everyone who blew over .08 would be charged with Impaired driving, lose their license for 90 days (at least) and be given a criminal record, I think people would think twice about having that 2nd or third (or more) drink. I'm surprised that M.A.D.D. isn't pushing more for stiffer penalties for every suspension.

I doubt that ... Cronics are cronics ... Just like junkies , they'll do what they do as they see fit . The cops can charge people with criminal offences IF they do their "homework " ..

They do for murder , arson , theft and fraud .. Why not impaired ?

My guess is that's impaired driving is such a "socially abhorrent" issue that has so much public support to stop that particular carnage the gov't made it easier for themselves and cops to look good ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4743 posts

Postby bigtimeoperations » Jan 8th, 2019, 12:10 am

Never encountered an RCMP checkstop at all over the holidays, however I didn't really drive a whole lot. Didn't last year either. However, 2 years ago, I had to stop at 2 of them. It was pretty straight forward: "Sir anything to drink or smoke tonight?" "No" "OK thank you, drive safe". I'm glad they are out there checking for intoxicated drivers, with greater frequency in the month of December.

In Kelowna, the RCMP easily snagged more drunks than the 30 in Penticton, obviously due to size difference. It would still be good to know the statistics for Kelowna this past holiday season.
bigtimeoperations
Fledgling

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby normaM » Jan 8th, 2019, 7:19 am

Like ppl don't drive impaired anytime except the Holidays?
More random ones ( without roadblocks being announced, saw that on another forum) might scare a few people into not driving when wasted
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5155 posts

Return to Central Okanagan