Business robberies.....

dle
Lord of the Board

Business robberies.....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... 11-robbery

This is a daily occurrence in Kelowna, Kamloops, Vernon - everywhere.

If I was a business owner I would absolutely be putting a buzzer/lock system in place, along with the video cameras. No one gains entry with their face covered. Period. If they want to come into the store, they look into the camera and the clerk inside releases the door. You don't want to do that to come into my store, I don't want you in my store. Easy peasy.

This is the age we live in now. Safety first. No regular customer is going to mind - only the ones you don't want anyways will have anything negative to say about it.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Business robberies.....

Post by alanjh595 »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/246242/Early-morning-7-11-robbery

This is a daily occurrence in Kelowna, Kamloops, Vernon - everywhere.

If I was a business owner I would absolutely be putting a buzzer/lock system in place, along with the video cameras. No one gains entry with their face covered. Period. If they want to come into the store, they look into the camera and the clerk inside releases the door. You don't want to do that to come into my store, I don't want you in my store. Easy peasy.

This is the age we live in now. Safety first. No regular customer is going to mind - only the ones you don't want anyways will have anything negative to say about it.

Agreed. Any business that would use that system, could also offer a safe place to take refuge in the event of an emergency in the area. I would applaud any business that employs that system.
Bring back the LIKE button.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

exactly.. and hopefully none of those undesirables are offended.. :biggrin:
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

If you're requiring each and every customer of yours to look into a camera and be buzzed in, I'm thinking opening up a business is not for you.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

OKkayak wrote:If you're requiring each and every customer of yours to look into a camera and be buzzed in, I'm thinking opening up a business is not for you.

Many businesses are allready on this model throughout the world.

There are a few in the Okanagan, I suspect many more will be also
in the not too distant future.

Mine would be also if it was to venture down that business path.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

OKkayak wrote:If you're requiring each and every customer of yours to look into a camera and be buzzed in, I'm thinking opening up a business is not for you.

Anyone who objects is free to shop elsewhere.....
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I believe CJX (formerly Kelowna Jewellery Exchange) already does this, i'm sure there inventory is valuable

I am pretty sure the lady's clothing store along Water next to Pinup also does this.

I think this would work just fine for those business that have lower traffic and high value items. It also protects the customer and WSBC would look upon the attempt to protect your employees from robbery favorably.

Higher volume business may be better off with security. Not sure what say a Paladin charges but that could be an option.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dirtybiker wrote:
Many businesses are allready on this model throughout the world.

There are a few in the Okanagan, I suspect many more will be also
in the not too distant future.

Mine would be also if it was to venture down that business path.

Those types of businesses (i.e.: pawn shops) usually attract clientele of a questionable character. Quite different from being asked to "scan in" getting a carton of milk and loaf of bread or browsing around for a new iPad.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dle wrote:

Anyone who objects is free to shop elsewhere.....

Thats kinda the point. How long do you expect to stay in business when people start shopping elsewhere.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gman313 wrote:I believe CJX (formerly Kelowna Jewellery Exchange) already does this, i'm sure there inventory is valuable

I am pretty sure the lady's clothing store along Water next to Pinup also does this.

I think this would work just fine for those business that have lower traffic and high value items. It also protects the customer and WSBC would look upon the attempt to protect your employees from robbery favorably.

Higher volume business may be better off with security. Not sure what say a Paladin charges but that could be an option.

Exactly, a buddy was looking for engagement ring. They also only allow certain number of customers at a time. I remember this because I had to wait outside.
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It wouldn't make sense for high traffic stores like Walmart but after hour stores (i.e. 7-11) and high end jewellery stores (there are those that have a buzzer system put in place years ago) etc. it shouldn't be a contentious issue. Face covered by a mask? You don't get in.
Last edited by Fancy on Jan 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I would suggest pawn shops have come a long way. ID is required before you can sell everything. I have been impressed with changes in the last decade or so with these shops. I don't think they are the dumping ground for stolen goods they used to be....that's what Craigslist is for
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

gman313 wrote:I believe CJX (formerly Kelowna Jewellery Exchange) already does this, i'm sure there inventory is valuable

Every jewelry store in town has a higher valuable inventory than a pawn shop does yet they don't require their customers to "scan" in when they're looking for an engagement ring for their high school sweetheart. Think it has more to do with their attracted clientele.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

one thing I find interesting is we are discussing bandaids. Increased robberies is not THE PROBLEM, it is a symptom of a greater problem. It is disappointing business will be coughing up dollars one way or another to try and address it, which ultimately increases prices.

The PROBLEM is much bigger
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Here impo are a few must haves for opening area business:
1) alarm system
2) cameras
3) some types of bars across store front (ultimately a rolldown covering entire store front)
4) if the business deals in cash transactions, either very secure wall or floor safe.
Add these items to any start up costs, thieves will hit the easiest places first.

Copied & paste this here, imo it applies.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”